Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
My Mac App Store icon in the dock has a red counter with like "2", for the number of apps I'm supposed to update. But I don't want to update those particular apps. How can I tell the Mac App Store to not update those particular apps, and how to remove the red counter from the icon? I'm sure it's something simple, but I have not found it. Thank you!

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
For the same reasons people want to stay with the older version, or downgrade back to the older version of some apps - because the new versions are inferior in some way to their workflow or interface. Happens all the time. Same here. I update most apps, but some I think have lost the plot, and for those, I'd like to stay with the earlier version.

Back to the topic - how do I make this work? Can I exclude certain apps from updating, and from showing the red badge count in the icon displaying a "need" to update the apps I don't want to update?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Not in the stock iOS. Just learn to ignore it. Good chance the app will probably break whenever iOS 5 comes out.
Best just to write the app maker, tell them you don't like the new interface. Which apps were they?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Opps I'm an idiot. I've never noticed the update counter when running the app store on my Mac. I don't leave app store running normally.

One solution might be remove it from the dock. It's always easy to launch from the :apple: menu.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
No prob., people mostly use the app store, rarely the mac app store :)

Still, I'd rather find a solution, instead of getting rid of the whole icon.

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
One solution might be remove it from the dock. It's always easy to launch from the :apple: menu.

This is the only way, while maintaining AppStore functionality.

I suppose that if you try to remove your account from the store, it wouldn't prompt you to update those apps; however, you would lose updates to the ones you want.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Thanks alot, folks. Wow, this is lame. Such a simple request, and can't do it :(

Not much flexibility in OS X. Maybe Lion?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It's an odd request, a problem that's not a problem so zero chance it'll get fixed. Most people enjoy getting free updates.

What were the two apps in question?

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I feel your pain. I have a bright red "1" staring at me right now. An update to a game to add additional language support. Release notes say not to install it unless you need the other languages, which I don't but unless I install it my update count will be "1" forever.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Blueroom, the apps are: Byword - supposed to be an extremely simple writing interface, ultraminimalistic. Well, they made an update and it's getting more complex, exactly what I did NOT want. Grrr. The other is WannaAudio. But it doesn't matter - since clearly there is nothing I can do about it. I'm beginning to like the mac store less and less... not a fan. I hate having stuff shoved down my throat. It was better before, when I could pick and choose if I wanted to update or not, and didn't have to deal with nagware. Now the mac app store is one big nagware.

artvandelayIII

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
Obviously you’ve never experienced updating and finding the app is messed up. :rolleyes:
If you're running Time Machine (which everybody should be), you can always roll back to whatever version you have backed up, right? I've done this a few times on iOS apps I downloaded through iTunes, seems like it should be even easier on OS X.

lacocacolaman

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
These people...

I'm trying to find a solution and it's so annoying to see people posting about "why do you want to do it?"

He asked a question what's it to you why he wants it done? If you don't have an answer I doubt anyone would want your opinion. I don't want to see an update I don't want. What's it to you!? just ignore the thread if it bothers you. Take your own advice and pretend you didn't see this post.

My reason is that My app store has an app that I never purchased! now that's annoying seeing an update for an app you don't own. It's always there...

I can't get rid of it neither. I tried updating and it'll tell me to log into someones account i've never seen. And YES my copy of 10.8.4 is legit.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
My reason is that My app store has an app that I never purchased! now that's annoying seeing an update for an app you don't own. It's always there...

I can't get rid of it neither. I tried updating and it'll tell me to log into someones account i've never seen. And YES my copy of 10.8.4 is legit.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is caused by downloading a copy of a Mac App Store app from elsewhere, once you remove the dodgy app the incorrect update which shows for that other account and app you don't own will also disappear.

For example recently a pirated copy of Worms people downloaded would make the Nyancat app update appear due to the way they tamper with the receipts.

beachrat

macrumors newbie
My god, this can't be this hard...

Is there really no way to get an app out of your hair?

I'd really like to have a way to do this, too.

Using software update WITHOUT App store, you could say you don't want to update certain things. Now there seems to be no way to do this, which is frankly stupid. I manage my dad's computer and there's a ton of stuff we don't want to mess with -- trust me, he is never going to use garage band!

Apple is really infuriating -- they want all sorts of info, want me to trust them with credit card info when I am not buying anything, AND won't let me customize how I manage machines I have purchased.

I love my macs (all seven of them) but sometimes I understand people who stick with PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.