Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dblessing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Any thoughts on being able to use a bluetooth barcode scanner with an iPad? I have looked at some, but without being confident it would be able to pair, it's hard to spend the money. It would be perfect for running around and doing inventory, just in a spreadsheet or in a web app.

If you think it is possible, do you have any suggestions on a specific scanner?

Thanks for your help.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's not just the pairing of the devices you need to worry about, it's the software. There would need to be an app written to work with a specific scanner.

dblessing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
it's the software.

Hmm, I was afraid of that. I was hoping it just operated as keyboard input. I've never looked too deep into how they work, but I was just going by the fact that when you plug a USB scanner into a Mac it sometimes pops up a "keyboard" setup assistant. Sorry I sound naive. :confused:

sohotel

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
KDC200i and KDC200i are the Made for iPhone certified Bluetooth Scanner

Any thoughts on being able to use a bluetooth barcode scanner with an iPad? I have looked at some, but without being confident it would be able to pair, it's hard to spend the money. It would be perfect for running around and doing inventory, just in a spreadsheet or in a web app.

If you think it is possible, do you have any suggestions on a specific scanner?

Thanks for your help.

KoamTac KDC200i and KDC300i are the Made for iPhone certified Bluetooth Scanner.They support both MFi and HID profile. http://www.koamtac.com

bovined

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Socket Mobile offers a line of scanners that can operate in either HID keyboard mode or in SPP mode with SDK support so if you want to create an app and integrate support for the scanner you can do that as it has the apple hardware certification chip on board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.