Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
Hi guys, anyone got any tips that can help my MacBook Pro Stay Cooler?
Right now mine gets around 130-135 Degrees Fahrenheit. Are there any Software out there besides fan control to help out?
Please Post any Ideas that would be helpful, Thanks

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
130 F is just 50C so there's nothing to worry about. Some user's get more hotter.

If you want, you can try reapplying the thermal paste.

Mine is at 51C right now too even when kept on for about 16 hours now lol.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
130 F is just 50C so there's nothing to worry about. Some user's get more hotter.

If you want, you can try reapplying the thermal paste.

Mine is at 51C right now too even when kept on for about 16 hours now lol.

wow thats great mines been on for about 3 hours and its that hot
consiering i got 2 screens and a crap load of stuff connected to it, im using it as a desktop because my P.C. Broke, I dont think im going to repair it :apple:

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
thats actually the one i'm using (in combination w/ giving the computer an extra 1/4" elevation for better ventelation. I've definitely noticed that my internal fans kick in a bit less when the computer is under load w/ this setup.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've been using a Targus Podium Coolpad for years. It elevates the back of your unit 3-6cm. For laptops that draw air in from underside fans, it's a wonder. And for MacBooks and MacBook Pros, it helps the underside of the case dissipate heat. Runs about $30 at retail.

dblissmn

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2002
Hi guys, anyone got any tips that can help my MacBook Pro Stay Cooler?
Right now mine gets around 130-135 Degrees Fahrenheit. Are there any Software out there besides fan control to help out?
Please Post any Ideas that would be helpful, Thanks

The Griffin Elevator, which is a nice laptop stand that is made from aluminum. Definitely good for a couple of degrees, plus it's nice to have a stand that is made from a material that conducts heat (i.e. away from the computer).

Don't dismiss SMC fan control either. Simply running the fans at 2500 or 3000rpm makes a major difference without a lot of extra noise.

I don't think 130-135F -- about 54-57C -- is too much to worry about though, unless the computer is on your lap in which case I'd be worried about your lap rather than the computer. If it's a Penryn, that does sound on the high side for temperature unless you're gaming or something.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I run a dual monitor setup with my Penryn Macbook Pro 15". I use this: http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

That holds the laptop up next to the monitor. Not only does it look extremely classy but the macbook rarely gets warm to the touch. I've never heard the fans come on if the machine is on this stand... of course, most stands will have the same effect - i just think mine looks purdy :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a question related to the cooling issue. iStat Pro tracks several temperatures. Does anyone know which ones are most critical and what acceptable ranges would be? I've attached my current readings.

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 201

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
How to keep your MacBook Pro cool:

1. Don't wear suspenders or bow ties while using your MacBook Pro in public.

2. Don't apply Windows, Dell, Intel, Mercury, NFL or other decals to your laptop. (No, not ever Diggnation decals)

3. Don't use an HP scientific calculator as well as your laptop to verify the data.

Did I miss any? Feel free to add! :p

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
How to keep your MacBook Pro cool:

1. Don't wear suspenders or bow ties while using your MacBook Pro in public.

2. Don't apply Windows, Dell, Intel, Mercury, NFL or other decals to your laptop. (No, not ever Diggnation decals)

3. Don't use an HP scientific calculator as well as your laptop to verify the data.

Did I miss any? Feel free to add! :p

*chuckles*

JMac98

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Same

Mine can get up to 90C sometimes.

You can use SMCFan control pretty useful for me.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have a question related to the cooling issue. iStat Pro tracks several temperatures. Does anyone know which ones are most critical and what acceptable ranges would be? I've attached my current readings.

Considering all the temperatures are at about the same range (50's), does it really matter?

I wish all these temperature threads would stop UNLESS the MBP spontaneously catches on fire.

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Unless it gets over 100 Celsius there really isn't a problem.
Seriously though, your temps are normal and there's nothing for you to worry about at all.

2hvy4grvty

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Seeing that MBP isn't built like most PCs, there's no vents on the bottom. So the fans in the laptop cooler really is just blowing air into a metal wall, which offers minimal cooling for the internal components.

So, the only other way to cool the damn thing would be heat transfer. The problem? Look on the bottom. 4 rubber feet elevates the MBP. Air is a poor thermal conductor, as is the rubber , so thermal transfer from the MBP to the metal laptop cooler is minimal. All it does it heat up the air around it, which then heats up the metal cooler. There's some effect of cooling, since the cooler will cool down faster than the air underneath it, but it's nothing worth noting.

In short, MBP is a very poor candidate for a laptop cooler. However, what it does do is help protect it vs liquid spills or whatever though!

To lower temps, you can try a repaste of the thermal application. All retailers (not just apple) underpay people and they all do a crappy job of it. Might drop it 2-10 degrees this way, depending on how good you are/how bad the initial person was.

You can also crank up the fans.

Eh, it doesn't really matter.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Forgive me for resurrecting this thread but I have a question of my own. Welp, I have a MBP2,2 which is bruised and battered but has served me quite well in the years but the last year has only been used sparingly in the home because of its condition. No battery, heats up quite fast and max fan with anything even remotely taxing.

My plan is to have it as a media server. I was planning on getting a new Mac Mini to dish out those tasks but figured why not just use the MBP instead. The thing is, I wonder if it's possible to run it without the keyboard plate on to facilitate better cooling. I can't stand the noise of this thing which is why I haven't used it much in the last year.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.