Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Several times over the last couple of weeks my 3GS has had prolonged periods of "No service" even though I usually get signal in the area.

The other day, desparately needing to send a text and tried to send one - it went through. I then receieved a reply and sent another, all the time with the phone showing "No service". I restarted my phone and then had 4 bars.

Is this a bug? Anyone else had this?

Genocide

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Go to Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings. This will most likely provide you with a temporary fix to allow you to send a text or make a call, though your phone will probably begin to have the same issue in a few hours.

I had this problem with my phone last year and it eventually fixed itself, making me believe it was my service provider.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
It happens to me very seldomly. When it happens, try turning Airplane Mode on until the "Carrier" tab underneath disappears completely. Turn Airplane Mode off and allow the phone to search for service.

If the problem happens often, try restoring your iPhone with iTunes or getting a new SIM card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.