Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cankid96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
So i like the 6th gen and the whole fashion accessory/ mini touch screen player that apple's trying to market it as, but they left out too many features for a player that had a good market, to turn it into a completly different product with a slightly different market.

Soooo I'm hoping by next year, apple will create the iWatch and the ipod nano, creating 2 differnet products.
My personal wish list features of the nano would be
-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-longer and more of a candybar shape :cool:
-thin, smooth, minimalistic design with volume buttons, lock/power button
-if its small enough to have a clip, keep it, if not, lose it
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-video playback!!!:)
-ability to choose backround... :p
-an IOS lite type of UI or a completly different UI cuz I'm bored by the bland grid type UI
-possible App Store compatibility for some/half of the apps :D

And thats all i can think of, do u guys have any other ideas?

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
So i like the 6th gen and the whole fashion accessory/ mini touch screen player that apple's trying to market it as, but they left out too many features for a player that had a good market, to turn it into a completly different product with a slightly different market.

Soooo I'm hoping by next year, apple will create the iWatch and the ipod nano, creating 2 differnet products.
-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-an IOS lite type of UI or a completly different UI cuz I'm bored by the bland grid type UI

so you just want a ipod touch...

Shaneuk

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010

Haha.

You'll be able to change the background soon anyway, if someone comes up with a jailbreak for it or apple comes up with firmware update. If someone comes up with a jailbreak no doubt they'll enable video playback on it, I see it as pretty pointless because the screen is so small.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
You can choose background... right now on Nano. Are you talking about adding your own?

Also, all of those features are available on iPod touch or iPhone. Apple is not a company that likes to make things bigger and thicker. This company always look for a way to make it smaller and thinner.

Next iPod nano will be very minor update like more memory and add bluetooth. Maybe slightly bigger screen, but that is in very doubt as well. Speaker? yea.. no thx. The sound will be crap.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I think the higher resolution is not necessary if the screen is small...

Kaeso

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010

Well said.
My idea for the new nano is to keep the current size but go totally wireless. Ditch the 30pin connector and have wireless sync and charging, and get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack and use bluetooth only. Also It would be nice to have a removable clip.

cankid96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Well said.
My idea for the new nano is to keep the current size but go totally wireless. Ditch the 30pin connector and have wireless sync and charging, and get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack and use bluetooth only. Also It would be nice to have a removable clip.

wow that won't happen for at least.... 5 years im guessing. The bluetooth could happen for the next gen but wirless sync and charging, :rolleyes:

Of course im talking about without the use of other accessories/products like powermat

Last edited:

ARTniyet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
it will be nice that using different watch applications in the next gen. so there will be one device "n" watches...

Rick America

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2007
If they simply added an external buzzer for the alarm clock, I'd be all in. I don't need an external speaker.

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Bluetooth seems like the best way to upgrade for apple, but you have to take into account some other features. mainly the FM Radio, it uses the cord of the headphones as its antenna, you put bluetooth in it and they have to find a new place for the antenna, or remove the FM Radio feature altogether (something apple has no problem with doing i.e the nanos video camera and playback).

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
7th = 5th!!! (with 32GB)

The 5th was just about perfect in every way. Apple thru out the baby with the bathwater when they "shufflized" the Nano and eliminated just about everything that made the 5G so great.

The 5G was deliberately "gutted" to drive people towards the Touch. The 5G was a case of being a bit "too good" for its place in the iPod family. Which would have been ok when Apple was still run by engineers, and not by busyness types.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The 5th was just about perfect in every way. Apple thru out the baby with the bathwater when they "shufflized" the Nano and eliminated just about everything that made the 5G so great.

The 5G was deliberately "gutted" to drive people towards the Touch. The 5G was a case of being a bit "too good" for its place in the iPod family. Which would have been ok when Apple was still run by engineers, and not by busyness types.

Yeah they've pretty much stopped doing anything with the iPod line..downgraded the features of the iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle is the same design as it was 5 years ago, and the iPod Classic is the same for 4 years now.

Apple is only interested in the iPod Touch it seems as far as iPods go..real shame for those of us that are simply interested in a multimedia device rather than a internet/application device.

Next year we won't see a capacity upgrade to the nano, the classic MIGHT get the 220GB hard drive and the iPod touch will get most of the updates.

If it wasn't for the fact a good chunk of my iTunes purchases are DRM I would probably be looking for a alternative for a music player.

All this being said I really dig the 6th gen nano, though I'm all about music. Its really not all that difficult to use it on the fly. Definitely my favorite of the nano line. Only thing I'm interested in now is the elusive 32GB capacity bump and a bit of a increase of screen size.

I have a iPod touch but for music its just horrible. If they added two seek buttons to the iPod touch it'd be a game changer, in fact I'd probably use it as a primary music player rather than a app device.

Last edited:

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
I am really looking forward to the new 7th gen nano. I think apple has something up it's sleeves for this one. This is a company that continues to amaze us.

I don't think this is a product that apple will just "let die" as some have led to believe. What I want and think (hope is more like it?) might happen in Sept:

- wifi (with iCloud now this seems like a no-brainer)
- bluetooth
- ability to run music apps like pandora, rhapsody. I hate having to use my iphone for these apps. Let's face it, as awesome as the touch/iphone are, they are just too big.
- wider screen and video playback
- better backgrounds and a better high contrast setting (I hate how the album covers look on the current nano under this setting)

Among other little things but these are the main ones.

They also need to bring back the black and white nano. I actually emailed apple about this. Not many options for guys right now other than silver.

Last edited:

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Bluetooth, with ability to get your music from your iphone, either locally stored tracks or the ones on iTunes Cloud.

k0m4r1k

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Moscow, Russia
!!!

-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res

I think they should make a new version of the classic ( I know, classic means classic!) with a speaker, camera(if they dont mess it up!!!) and thinner design. And typical apple repertoire of putting like a billion TB of memory.:cool:

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
I just bought the Nano 6.th Touch 16 GB in golden orange and only thing I would like in the 7.th generation would be:

1. 32 GB storage
2. High resolution screen for better looking album art

I ONLY bought my Nano for use in the gym. Even though Bluetooth would be nice, I still like to listen to FM radio, and since the headphone chord is the antenna and Bluetooth headphones need recharging - I don't want this feature in this small music/radio device.

Video playback - get an iPod Touch or an iPhone !!!!

I like that the new Nano Touch is small, lightweight and has great batterylife. It's a true MUSIC player, PERFECT for the gym.

In all other situations than at the gym, I ALWAYS ALWAYS carry my iPhone 4 32GB, with a loaded music library on me, so why people need to fill all these crap things in this little perfect gym music player called the iPod Nano Touch is beyond me ?!?

The iPod nano Touch is perfect as it is for the gym. Please Apple don't ruin it !!

Last edited by a moderator:

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
They also need to bring back the black and white nano. I actually emailed apple about this. Not many options for guys right now other than silver.

I'm a grown man, and my iPad is black, my iPhone is black, my MBA is silver, my iMac is silver, my thinkpad worklaptop is black.

What a relief to FINALLY get something other than black, silver and black !!!!!

Bought the orange IPod Nano Touch 16GB - and it looks awesome in the golden orange color, perfect for the gym :)

Nice fresh color - guys over 40 just looks so pale in their conservative insecure color choices - black, grey, White and blue !!

Not saying all men should wear pink and yellow, but let's lighten up a bit ;)

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
iPod nano will stay in this design for a long time.

Apple will probably add something to support iCloud. So, this will allow iPod nano to be compatible with iCloud, wireless sync and wireless charge.

Other than that... don't expect anything else.

Le Buzz

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2011
I'm a grown man, and my iPad is black, my iPhone is black, my MBA is silver, my iMac is silver, my thinkpad worklaptop is black.

What a relief to FINALLY get something other than black, silver and black !!!!!

Bought the orange IPod Nano Touch 16GB - and it looks awesome in the golden orange color, perfect for the gym :)

Nice fresh color - guys over 40 just looks so pale in their conservative insecure color choices - black, grey, White and blue !!

Not saying all men should wear pink and yellow, but let's lighten up a bit ;)

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4

The golden orange/yellow is a good color, i actually considered it... but still it would be SWEEEEET to have a white nano again. Also, even though black is overkill it never goes out of style.

CHSeifert

macrumors 6502
The golden orange/yellow is a good color, i actually considered it... but still it would be SWEEEEET to have a white nano again. Also, even though black is overkill it never goes out of style.

I do certainly agree with you - black will NEVER go out of style !
And a White Nano would be sweet, problem is that for my use - mainly use my Nano for the gym - the White would get dirty very fast. I lift weights and use Technogym machines and even though I use the 'Postmen finger gloves', my fingers still get dirty from touching the handles. So quite satisfied I got the golden orange Nano.

I've already have a couple of women approaching me and complementing the Nano and asking me how I like it :) They all carry their iPhone 4 or iPod Touch and I've seen plenty drop them on the floor, while on the cross trainer/cycle/running machine.

IPod Touch and iPhones are great devices - just not while working out in the gym or running in the woods/park in my experience !

I do think the graphite Nano Touch looks pretty elegant in an understated way though and I almost ordered that, until I saw the orange Nano was more golden than plain orange :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.