Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What monitor should I buy?

• Go with the Cinema Display

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • There are better/equal value 3rd Party monitors for less

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I'm in the market for a new monitor for my Mac Mini (mid-2010). I've been aspiring to buy a Cinema Display, but it's so damn expensive! After looking around on the net for months, there seems to be nothing better out there!

My favorite features from the Cinema Display just seem like they won't be all together in other-monitors...

Here are my favorite features:

-Sexy aluminum enclosure and glossy display
-2560x1440 resolution (other brand's 27" are 1080p)
-Mini DisplayPort connector (for the 2560x1440 resolution)
-Adjustable stand
-Viewing angles are great

Is the Cinema Display really worth it's pricetag?
Is there another-branded monitor that does all these things for less $$?

EDIT: I know there is the TV route, using it as a monitor, but I don't want a TV.

Please help me out in making a purchase!
-Alex :apple:

Last edited:

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
There are no other monitors that use a Mini-DisplayPort, so if that is a main criteria, then the ACD is the only choice.

As far as other 27" IPS displays, there are a few, but the only one in the ACD's price range is the Dell U2711, which is actually a bit more expensive. Other than the panel itself, the Dell is pretty much the opposite of the ACD, tons of inputs, matte instead of glossy, no webcam/speakers, height adjustable and horizontal pivot instead of just tilt. And it's made out of plastic instead of the aluminum...

It really depends on what you want though, but as far as price, the ACD is actually on the low side compared to other similar monitors.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
there is no alternative to the 27" ACD. NEC and Dell make 27" professional monitors, but those are more expensive and you have to deal with color profiling, since the color gamut is significantly larger than standard.

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
As mentioned before, the Dell U2711 is a valid alternative that can be had for less whenever Dell has one of its sales.

But if you can pocket it, the U3011 is what I would get. Got one for ~$1100 after shipping and taxes at one of the aforementioned sales. Just be patient and check slickdeals.

*Edit:
If you want a glossy display, Apple is the only way to go. AFAIK all other brands top end offerings are matte, which is better for color accuracy and glare reduction.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I have two Dell 2711 monitors.

The Dell U2711 is 2560 x 1440. I believe that it uses the same panel as the ACD does, but of course with different backlighting.

All you need to drive it via Displayport is an inexpensive ($6) Monoprice mini-DSP to DSP cable. I'm using one now; it's been flawless.

For me, the adjustments are crucial. The ACD gives you one height only, and no swivel. That's not enough adjustment for me.

There's no doubt that the ACD is more attractive -- but I use my monitors for work, not as art objects. I have plenty of art around.

The Dell doesn't have LED backlighting, and I wish it did. But I can live with it.

The glossy-matte issue -- you have to decide that on your own. I don't like glossy but obviously there are those who do.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Actually I'm dreaming for the 27-inch ACD for months now. My co-worker has one and he does all sort of photography work with his 15-inch MBP.

My previous Apple display was the 17-inch studio display and I really liked the quality and longevity. At work, I have three 20-inch Apple Cinema Displays and they still look very good compared to a 2010-era HP 22-inch LCD display. We do have some 24-inch Apple LED Displays and 27-inch iMacs.

Now, I'm holding out for any update for the current line of Apple display, e.g. Thunderbolt port.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
there is no alternative to the 27" ACD. NEC and Dell make 27" professional monitors, but those are more expensive and you have to deal with color profiling, since the color gamut is significantly larger than standard.

First, every pro monitor requires profiling or it is not pro.

The Dell can be found on sale much cheaper than the apple, but there is nothing pro about the Dell. I'd say the same about the apple display too.

Only the NEC can be claimed as a low end pro, depending which model you get, assuming you are going for a cheaper version. The high end "human" picked cost more.

If you are in the Dell and Apple price range, consider your working environment and glare from lighting.

The Dell has a vast number of inputs but an antiglare coating that some people dislike.

The Apple has glass with is clearer but has reflections (depending on lighting) and some say artificially increased contrast, which is opposite of the Dell that mutes the contrast with the antiglare coating.

For about $300 more than the retail price of the Apple 27", you can get a 27" iMac refurb, meaning a whole new computer. Something to consider.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011

The Dell can be found on sale much cheaper than the apple, but there is nothing pro about the Dell. I'd say the same about the apple display too.

Only the NEC can be claimed as a low end pro, depending which model you get, assuming you are going for a cheaper version. The high end "human" picked cost more.

If you are in the Dell and Apple price range, consider your working environment and glare from lighting.

The Dell has a vast number of inputs but an antiglare coating that some people dislike.

The Apple has glass with is clearer but has reflections (depending on lighting) and some say artificially increased contrast, which is opposite of the Dell that mutes the contrast with the antiglare coating.

For about $300 more than the retail price of the Apple 27", you can get a 27" iMac refurb, meaning a whole new computer. Something to consider.

But it was said that the quality of the display on an iMac is not as good as a standalone cinema display. Is this true?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008

my point, without getting into an essay on standard vs wide gamut, was that you need to profile a U2711 or PA271 if you want anything to look right since they'll be mapping sRGB images to a larger than Adobe RGB color space.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Eizo all the way... dont cut corners regarding monitors. A good Eizo Will last 30.000 hours (15 years), a cheap one Will not. A

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I has 27". Easily the best display i've ever purchased and for the Macbook Pro owner, the intergrated magsafe is a huge plus.

Does get really hot though.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I bought two 27" ACD but returned one. It's a great monitor but I'm hoping for a Thunderbolt version when all the hardware upgrades happen this month(?). That way I can daisey chain everything

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I don't have any validated sources either.

ok, so you think the only difference between an sRGB and 102% NTSC panel is the backlight?

look it up on TFTCentral. they do not use the same panel, and no, the backlight cannot change the color space from ~72% to 102% NTSC. the backlight only affects white point and uniformity.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
ok, so you think the only difference between an sRGB and 102% NTSC panel is the backlight?

look it up on TFTCentral. they do not use the same panel, and no, the backlight cannot change the color space from ~72% to 102% NTSC. the backlight only affects white point and uniformity.

No, the only thing I "think" is that there were several postings here (earlier in the year) declaring that the panels were the same, and I've seen that assertion elsewhere on the web.

I checked TFT Central and, as you say, it reports this:

Dell U2711 6ms G2G 27"WS LG.Display H-IPS (LM270WQ2)
Apple 27" LED Cinema Display 12ms 27"WS LG.Display H-IPS (LM270WQ1)

However: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33968789

ShaidarHaran
hardware monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
They use different panels.

Apple 27" LED Cinema = LG LM270WQ1
Dell U2711 = LG LM270WQ2
(Difference in model number in bold)

NEC's SpectraView Reference 271, uses the same panel as the Dell.
As someone who has replaced hundreds of LCDs over the years, I can tell you that the ending digit doesn't signify anything meaningful, other than vendor specificity. IOW: they are the same panel.

Also, I made no statement about color space. I said I wished that the Dell was LED-backlit, and I still say it. My eyes prefer it.

If the ACD had the adjustments I require, and was matte, I'd have bought one as soon as they came out. It didn't, and wasn't, so I bought Dells.

If you're seeing this as some kind of Dell evangelism or anti-ACD sentiment, don't. I have zero interest in arguing about monitors.

Let's not get in the way of the guy who's trying to decide what to do.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
You could also look for a 24" refurb. I got one and love it. You won't get the new Thunderbolt compatability but you will stilll get an excellent LED/IPS glossy monitor with speakers etc. I find the 27" imac's and ACD's to be a bit on the obscenely large side of things. People literally gasp at just my 24" when they come into my office.

As far as competitors - good luck. Seems expensive until you look for replacements. Then it seems reasonable.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I spent some time on this and I can't say I turned up anything better. My two dell 24"'s are just fuzzy by comparison. I really want a pair of TB displays off my MBP, now that's a setup.

gmccj

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2010
Dell 2713HM

I just replaced my 24" ACD, used as a second monitor, with a Dell 2713HM, purchased from Amazon for $650. I can honestly say that I prefer it to the monitor on my 2010 27 inch iMac - it seems sharper. The Dell has a Displayport which can be connected to the iMac with a separately purchased cable.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I just replaced my 24" ACD, used as a second monitor, with a Dell 2713HM, purchased from Amazon for $650. I can honestly say that I prefer it to the monitor on my 2010 27 inch iMac - it seems sharper. The Dell has a Displayport which can be connected to the iMac with a separately purchased cable.
If you do graphic artistry, the U2713H is even better than the HM, as it has a new AH-IPS panel with 10-bit color support and a 14-bit internal color processor - it's $180 more than the U2713HM, though.

And as the OP wanted an aluminum enclosure, it's at least partially.
81Bcbf9OIqL._SX1000.jpg

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
If you do graphic artistry, the U2713H is even better than the HM, as it has a new AH-IPS panel with 10-bit color support and a 14-bit internal color processor - it's $180 more than the U2713HM, though.

I just did a little research, you would need to get the H model, not the HM model, if you wish to daisy-chain with displayport.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT

I wonder how much sharper the new TB display is compared to the 2010 spec imac? Anyone know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.