Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SmartB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
South Carolina
I am attempting to salvage my wife's biege G3 tower. The internal video stopped working. I had a 7500 PowerMac with a Radius video card. Is there any way to use the Radius card and bypass the internal video? Problem is, if I need to load a new driver or make setup changes, how do I go about it when I can't see what I'm doing?

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
I'm prtety sure putting a PCi video card in will work without installing any drivers. If you meant RAdeon when you say Radius then it should work because aplle OS installations incluse drivers for most video cards from ATI.

SmartB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
South Carolina
Definitely a Radius card

It's an old video card, I guess they've been out of business for awhile. It may very well be that simple, but I plugged it in and it's not working. I don't know if maybe I need to change the video settings to make it see that the monitor's connected to the card and not the internal connector. But since the monitor isn't working, I don't know how to do that either, unless maybe there is some keyboard shortcut. What a pain.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
what does the onboard video chip say in your wifes G3? is it a 3DRage II + DVD (or something like that), or is it a Rage Pro? I have an extra G3 motherboard with a 266 G3 processor in it, if you want it.

But, if you have the money i would just buy a Radeon 7000 PCI video card, then you will be set.

edit: i forgot to mention that i cannot remember if the motherboard works or not, but it is yours if you want it.

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
If youre luckky you may be able to get a picture from the card if you try booting up off a CD but if that doesnt work and you need to get the CD out holding down the mouse button on start up should eject it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.