Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dinesh89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,

Well last night i decided to give my mbp a clean install of snow leopard. After the reinstall I found out my external -Western Digital Mybook Studio 1TB (500GB partioned for timemachine and the other 500GB for my larger files and movies) only mounted the timemachine partition and not the other one. The other partion cant be mounted and cannot be repaired using disk utility. For some reason even the partition name has changed from 'My Actual Book' to 'disk1s5'. Both partitions are on Mac os journaled. Is there anyway i can recover my files and reuse the external? Please help me. :(

Ive included what disk utility says:

Verify and Repair volume "disk1s5"
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Invalid node structure
Invalid record count
Catalog file entry not found for extent
The volume could not be verified completely.

Volume repair complete
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. ... disk, and restore your backed-up files.

dinesh89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
tried tech tool but no luck. Using disk warrior now its been stuck at Step 5: Locating directory data. Speed reduced by disk malfunction: 1,227. That number seems to be growing from time to time. Its been a couple of hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.