Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zpbmw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
LI, NY
Friend installed a new LCD/Digitizer since my original screen shattered. After completion the only thing the phone will do once powered up is show a vertical blue line and nothing else. I'm gonna bring it to apple tomorrow but I have a feeling they are going to tell me that I'm SOL.

In desperate need of help. Thank you for reading.

ev2zck.jpg

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
They'll most likely give you a new phone if they don't know that, that one has been tampered with.

If they do give you a new phone, WATCH OUT FOR YELLOW SCREENS! That is your warning.

zpbmw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
LI, NY
They'll most likely give you a new phone if they don't know that, that one has been tampered with.

If they do give you a new phone, WATCH OUT FOR YELLOW SCREENS! That is your warning.

I bought this phone almost a year ago, do you think they would still be that kind to just replace it for free? And is there any way that they could tell if the screen has been replaced other than physically opening up the phone?

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing the assembly? That may help, but if it doesn't, it looks like you got a bad one.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
I bought this phone almost a year ago, do you think they would still be that kind to just replace it for free? And is there any way that they could tell if the screen has been replaced other than physically opening up the phone?

If there is no physical damage to the phone, and it has been properly sealed back up, then there is really no way that they could tell it's been tampered with. Like I said though, watch out for yellow screens.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
If there is no physical damage to the phone, and it has been properly sealed back up, then there is really no way that they could tell it's been tampered with. Like I said though, watch out for yellow screens.

Apple shouldn't have to pay for the fact that his friend installed a faulty part. As unfortunate as it is, take the experience for what it is: Apple doesn't owe you anything. This makes it harder for people with legitimate defects in their device to get free repairs. Committing fraud is bad karma! :p

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Get friends who actually know what they are doing. That's my only advice.

Orrrrrr, don't be cheap and pay and extra $30 to have a professional install the screen for you.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
Apple shouldn't have to pay for the fact that his friend installed a faulty part. As unfortunate as it is, take the experience for what it is: Apple doesn't owe you anything. This makes it harder for people with legitimate defects in their device to get free repairs. Committing fraud is bad karma! :p

Never said they did, just gave him my opinion. I also think committing fraud is bad, but whatever, it's not really my problem lol.

g12007

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
if you are under the 1 year limited warranty then you will get a new/refurb
device for this.. just tell them how you dropped your phone. just leave out the part about your cracked screen.

all apple will do is give you a refurb phone right back anyway.. its a phone that someone else broke and took back and was fixed. its the same thing they will do with this device after you take it back. they fix it , change the outside glass front and back and then they use it for there give backs.. so apple will not miss out on any money. :apple:$$$

thats y they dont sell any refurb iphones. they use them for the warranty give back trade ins.... they fix your broke crap and sell it to att for xxx amount and make more money off of a repaired device.. from att the phone is only $99 but after the 2 years in contract the phone makes over $2500 in service bills.. so to att the refurb device is just as good as the fresh one and will make them over $2500 in two years.. times your bill by 24 months.... :D

sorry for the rant but bottom line is that they will take it back and give you a replacement if its under 1 year from the original sale date. if over a year they will charge you for any repairs.. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.