Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcus2704

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2005
I have been troubleshooting an issue with Outlook 2011 for several hours now and would be very grateful for assistance.

One of our clients complained that they send HTML emails with a default font (Helvetika size 11) which not only arrives in a different font size altogether, but has sections of the body text with size 9 and other areas with size 13.5.

I have replicated this issue by copying the email to a new message and sending it to myself. The entire email is in the same font, it appears to look fine in the Sent items folder, however when it arrives in my inbox, the bulk of the email is Helvetica 9, but strangely the bottom two lines of the email are Helvetica 13.5.

If, before sending the original email, I select all of the text, and choose Helvetica 11 on the Mac, the email arrives in my inbox as 9 only (which is more acceptable than two very different fonts in the same mail). Therefore it appears that what Im seeing originally on the screen when I copy/paste his sent mail is different to the actual font size of the email.

Can anyone advise what would likely be the cause of this, why would an email which is formatted with one font, arrive in two different font sizes?

Im having difficulty explaining this to an angry client who rightly argues that its very unprofessional for his mails to be like this :)

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
The new, WebKit based editor in Outlook uses pixels. The difference is that pixels will typically render much smaller on your device that the same point.

I've not seen reports of fonts changing size. I suggest that you report this on the Outlook 2011 forum in Answers and also send feedback to Microsoft.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

Did you delete duplicate fonts installed by Office 2011?

See Font Management for help:
http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/font-management/

Last edited:

Basilimo

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
I have a similar problem. If I cut and paste text into an email (using Outlook 11) it looks identical to other text in my email when I send it - but the fonts come through at multiple different sizes when they are received. Looks awful. Any solution appreciated.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
If you're pasting text into a message and you want it to exactly match the font and size of the rest of your message, use the "Paste and match style" command.

Otherwise, the text in your message may look the same, but may actually contain wildly different underlying HTML formatting. There are a million and three different ways to style text in HTML, and lots of them will look the same in one app and different in another.

kawells924

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
ARG!!! The font sizes have gone wild in my Outlook for Mac 2011

I type an email and it says Arial 12 pt, but the font size is teeny-tiny. I send it thinking it will show up as Arial 12 pt for my coworkers, but it shows up teeny-tiny for them, too.

Sometimes I'll send an email and it has literally 5 different font sizes for the viewer. Anyone else having this problem? This makes it almost completely unusable for me. Should I downgrade? Does this happen only in Office 2011?:mad:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Check the html for weirdness in the message by right-clicking on the message in the list and selecting "View Source".

Also, are you running the latest version (14.1.3)?

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
What was the outcome of this in the end? I have a user who is experiencing the same issue ?

Would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

G.

rholden

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
I have posted to Microsoft answers with no real help from them whatsoever.

I concur with pretty much everything people have said in this thread:

Font size 14. Typed not pasted (tried different fonts too). Everything looks good on my end (no tiny), customer sees 7.5 font. Signature looks normal size, body is small.

If I ever get any free time I think I may call our MSFT gold support... If I get anywhere I'll post an update.

findmatt77

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
I'm experiencing similar issues and running Outlook 14.1.3 on OS X 10.6.8.

If I compose a message with 12pt font, when the email arrives on the recipient's PC it still comes across as 12pt. But it will appear smaller than a 12pt font generated on the recipient's PC.

So if the recipient replies to my email, his same-font 12 pt text is larger than mine.

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I think we need to give up on Outlook 2011 and Mac Mail for various reasons including this text issue.

Thunderbird or Zimbra work well, no problems.

Robotpedlr

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Lake Tapps, WA
Same problem here...very frustrating. Send email using 14 font (tried several flavors) when I get replies back from people, I can see my original msg with super small font. It looks good in my sent folder..so it is changed somewhere along the way :mad::mad:

oncfari

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Font Mess in Mac Outlook 2011 (& Priors)

I've been having horrendous problems composing messages in Outlook that randomly decide to change fonts, styles, etc. as I'm typing. For ex, I was typing a message and went back to add a closing quotation mark ("), but when I did, Outlook changed the font size, style and color of the entire paragraph! Remove the quotation mark (using UNDO) and all goes back to normal.

There are also CONSTANT problems with numbered and bulleted lists. This thing has a mind if its own! I'll be making a list when suddenly one of the numbered or bulleted items just DOESN'T! (And BTW, there is no cutting, copying or pasting from external text involved!) I usually wind up starting over since once it does that, it screws up all of the bullets/numbers in the rest of the list.

This has been a constant problem in OLK for a very long time. Can anyone explain this or perhaps offer a suggestion on how to fix it. My emails tend to have a lot of lists, so I HATE OLK for this reason... :mad:

B1uenose

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2013
Fife, Scotland
I am having a nightmare too. Nearly got it sorted with apple mail, but that has other issues that i dont like.

just about to try thunderbird now and see if that is better.

umerhere

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2014
Same Problem

Guys, same problem being faced in outlook on MAC which is really frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.