Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powermax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I just noticed a very annoying bug - I deleted a file (approx. 1GB), after that I emptied the trash. Sadly, disk usage in the disk utility app does not show any change.

The I went on an deleted a whole folder (over 3 GB) but the available disk space did not change.

Even when I delete a file using the rm command in terminal, I do not gain free space.

Whatsize does show me that my hard drive uses 84GB of space, but when I add up all the folders on the right side, I only get about 77GB.

It doesn't matter if Filevault full disk encryption is enabled or disabled, the problem still occurs.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Maybe you have Local Snapshots in Time Machine, which means everything gets backed up, and since it's incremental, you only have one copy of every file, which is why your file remains in the backup when you delete it?

Powermax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Yes that's it! I was able to restore some file without having to plug in my time machine backup drive, so it must have been stored on my local harddrive.

That is definitly a nice feature for some people. But when I delete a file and empty the trash I usually like it to be gone and don't want it beeing stored somewhere on my harddrive. It feels like I'm loosing control over my hard disk space... Sadly I can't seem to disable this feature without disabling Time Machine completely, neither can't I control how long these local backups are beeing kept.

Last edited:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Yes that's it! I was able to restore some file without having to plug in my time machine backup drive, so it must have been stored on my local harddrive.

That is definitly a nice feature for some people. But when I delete a file and empty the trash I usually like it to be gone and don't want it beeing stored somewhere on my harddrive. It feels like I'm loosing control over my hard disk space... Sadly I can't seem to disable this feature without disabling Time Machine completely, neither can't I control how long these local backups are beeing kept.

Damn, that's not cool... I don't like the idea of my internal hard drive being consumed by backups, especially when I have an external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.