Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Oahu, Hawaii
Does anyone know of a way to export all my contacts from my iPhone straight into my iPad without having to re-type all of them in?

Thanks,
Jason

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
As I recall it's something that's not on by default. Look in the Sync -> Info tab of your iPhone first, make sure contacts are syncing there, then repeat the process with your iPad. I did this successfully, I had only been building my contacts in iPhone, nowhere else, and migrated them to my iPad this way. (That said, I was on OSX, maybe the OSX "Address Book" is part of the equation.)

(I *think* it's the Info tab. Don't have iTunes in front of me. The first tab I believe.)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sync you contacts to iTunes, sync your upas with the setting checked to sync contacts. Done and done.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I use Mobile Me. Yeah, I know it's expensive. But when I set up my iPad this past Saturdy in the Apple store, I didn't have to wait till I got home to have all my contacts and calendar. As soon as I put in my MobileMe info, it all showed up via the wifi in the Apple store.

When I connect my iPod Touch or iPad to iTunes, I leave sync turned off. I merely back up my data and walk away and let MobileMe take care of the rest. Of course if I want music or photos on my devices, then I need to turn on sync for that stuff but for now I leave it off. If you don't want to pay for MobileMe, you can get your contacts, etc onto your iPad during sync. Since mine happens whenever my wifi is active, I never turn it on in iTunes so I can't help you with the nuances of how to set it up.

jkutsch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Oahu, Hawaii
I'm on a PC and I've never used the MobileMe.

As I recall it's something that's not on by default. Look in the Sync -> Info tab of your iPhone first, make sure contacts are syncing there, then repeat the process with your iPad. I did this successfully, I had only been building my contacts in iPhone, nowhere else, and migrated them to my iPad this way. (That said, I was on OSX, maybe the OSX "Address Book" is part of the equation.)

(I *think* it's the Info tab. Don't have iTunes in front of me. The first tab I believe.)

I'll have to give this a try when I get home from work tonight and see if it works on a PC.
Thanks!
Jason

TheotherJoseph

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2007
OP, if you find out how to do this please give a update. I'm having the same issue.

Using a PC and no mobile me.

waleng

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
I hope my reply is not too late.

Here is what I did since I had the same problem as what you guys have. I'm a Mac user so the process might be a less different from the other operating systems.

1. Connect your iPhone/iPod to your computer and wait until it is recognized by the machine/iTunes.
2. Run an app called PhoneView. This one ain't free but you can try the demo version.
3. Once your device is recognized by the app, click Contacts located on the left side of the app window, just below Disk. It will then show you all the contacts saved on your device.
4. Now select all or some of the contacts you want to transfer to your iPad.
5. Once selected, go to File menu then choose Copy Selection from iPhone (when you are using an iPhone.) It will then automatically copy and transfer the data to your Address Book. You can edit the information on your contacts thru Address Book but you can just leave it as is.
6. Exit Address Book and PhoneView.
7. Go back to iTunes and click on your device.
8. Select Info tab and you'll see Sync Address Book Contacts. Be sure to click on the check box.
9. Now time for you to click the Sync button. You can choose either replace all contacts you have and replace with the new ones or merge them. It's up to you.
10. After syncing, check you Contacts on the iPad to see if the process successfully worked.

Let me guys know if it worked for you. Bubye! ^_^

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Don't buy any apps - this is exactly the sort of nonsense that the whole apple ecosystem is supposed to cut out.

Check here for the relevant support article on the apple website - all syncing happens through itunes on both mac and pc and does not require mobileme.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1386

Instant syncing over the air is where mobileme comes in, although you can get a similar service with a little research using gmail and/or exchange.

pedronotthelion

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2010
same problem

I am on a PC and am trying to get my contacts from my iphone to my ipad. The contacts are solely on my iPhone. I have read through these suggestions and am not quite sure that any of them will work. I don't think my contacts from my iphone are synced to my itunes. And I can't really see how that is possible based on looking at the info tab on itunes. It only shows contacts for Outlook, Yahoo, Google & Windows. Help!

spedtea

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
I am on a PC and am trying to get my contacts from my iphone to my ipad. The contacts are solely on my iPhone. I have read through these suggestions and am not quite sure that any of them will work. I don't think my contacts from my iphone are synced to my itunes. And I can't really see how that is possible based on looking at the info tab on itunes. It only shows contacts for Outlook, Yahoo, Google & Windows. Help!

I need a walk thru on how to do this please!!

EllieB

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
Trying everything - no result!

Hi there, im trying to sync iPhone contacts and calendar to my new iPad. I'm doing everything as stated (connecting to iTunes, sync iPhone after clicking contacts etc, then connect the iPad and after clicking sync with outlook I sync) but nothing happens! I don't get a single contact in my iPad address book.

What's driving me crazy is that it worked once, then my pc crashed in the middle of the sync (first and only time that's happened!) though when i checked the ipad, the contacts and calender entries were all there. But then when I then synced next time, they disappeared and I've not been able to get them back. Another weird thing is that if I add a contact manually on my iPad it gets deleted the next time I sync. :mad: All contacts are still available on my iPhone as usual.

Can I sync/export directly with outlook somehow, as my contacts all seem to be saved there from my iPhone? I assume there's no 'drag and drop' option...

I'm really struggling here so very grateful for any tips! :confused:

PC user, Outlook 2003, no MobileMe account (and don't want to pay that amount!) and not using gmail contacts

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I am on a PC and if you have outlook you can sync to that. In itunes turn on contact syncing to outlook in both devices and you should see the contacts show up on outlook AND your other device. I didn't have to do anything special to make it work?

Tomaggio

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
Synching iPhone to iPad

I'm thinking this thread started with skubish asking if there was a way to export contacts from one device to the other without using a computer as a third interim. Most of us are probably already aware of using iTunes or MobileMe to do this, but of course this involves using a computer. It would be nice to be able to enter a contact in my iPhone and somehow transport that information to my iPad without using iTunes or MobileMe. The camera connection kit accessory for the iPad does a good job of transporting photos from the iPhone to the iPad, but clearly it isn't able to do contacts and calendar info. That would have been a nice feature. Does anyone know if such a method exists?

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
I used drive lite free. Since my pc has thousands of contacts, I never sync it. So I simple use drive lite to backup the iPhone contacts and restore it on my ipad2

sandman108

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
iphone to ipad

I too have been trying to jest send my iphone phone contacts to my ipad.I tried following the instructions below. The problem I encounter is that no matter what I do my selected groups radio button is ghosted. Can anyone help?

benchlegs

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
Arizona
I would think you could upload your contacts to your gmail account contacts, then download them to your ipad via itunes

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
It has been said several times in the thread but never really explained, but if you use Gmail or other service with Exchange (hotmail for example), you can sync your contacts and calendar over the air (just like mobileme). This method does not involve syncing via a PC/MAC.

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

sandman108

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Tried using gmail and It worked for my email contacts but my iphone phone number contacts didn't transfer

sandman108

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
I just got tech to help me. You need to connect your iphone to your PC than open itunes. Go to the info tab and check Sync contacts with. In the drop down box choose Windows address book and than hit apply bottom right on your screen. Then sync. Next attach your ipad and have the same boxes checked apply and sync. That's it.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
I just got tech to help me. You need to connect your iphone to your PC than open itunes. Go to the info tab and check Sync contacts with. In the drop down box choose Windows address book and than hit apply bottom right on your screen. Then sync. Next attach your ipad and have the same boxes checked apply and sync. That's it.

100% agree--I don't use Windows contacts for anything other than syncing my iPhone/iPad contacts. Works like a dream.

MMakoto

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
nobody mentioned anything about the app "bump"? it works pretty easy, and it's free. i transferred all my contacts and pictures from my iphone to the ipad using this app, worked flawlessly.

cocotktk

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
hi

im tray and tray to moved or copy contacts

from my iphone to my ipad but im cant do no any method

but some one talk about maybe method to do

so im find it

if one find it before me plz rell me

coppercat9

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2011
Answer From Apple for PC

I was having the same issue, called Apple's tech support, & after about 5 minutes I had my contacts transferred from my iphone to my ipad. I hope you'll have the same results just as quickly as I did by doing the following:

(1) Sync your iphone to itunes > Edit > Preferences > Devices > Select the device that says "Today" & the time you just did your sync > * CHECKMARK "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" > OK

(2) Unplug iPhone & plug in iPad > Select your iPad from "Device" on the left in iTunes > Info > Checkmark "Sync contacts with" > "Windows Contacts" > Sync

If you want to keep your contacts on the iPhone & on the iPad the same, you're done. If you want to be able to make changes on your contacts in the iPhone & not your iPad, or vice versa, repeat the steps in (2) to remove the checkmark.

Time is precious. Hope I saved you all some!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.