Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boston44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2009
I've got the chance to buy a MacBook Air (first generation) with charger, but no install discs or box. Just the comp and charger. The problem is, it needs a new battery for $129 from Apple. I thought you could just replace these without Apple's help, considering it's the first gen? Anyways, he wants $350. Anyone think it's worth it? Thanks

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I've got the chance to buy a MacBook Air (first generation) with charger, but no install discs or box. Just the comp and charger. The problem is, it needs a new battery for $129 from Apple. I thought you could just replace these without Apple's help, considering it's the first gen? Anyways, he wants $350. Anyone think it's worth it? Thanks

I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA

boston44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2009
I wouldn't do it... Go on Craigslist, save $200 more dollars, and buy a 2010 MBA

I could buy a newer, better one at the moment. But I'm cheap :p I only want to do it if it's truly a good deal, and not worth it for me to spend more to get a better machine, but after $129 it'll be $480 without install discs. Can a 2010 be had for $700 on clist?

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I could buy a newer, better one at the moment. But I'm cheap :p I only want to do it if it's truly a good deal, and not worth it for me to spend more to get a better machine, but after $129 it'll be $480 without install discs. Can a 2010 be had for $700 on clist?

It's SO worth it to spend the extra money. And yes, $700. I see tons of 2010 11inch Airs on Craigslist priced around $700. (I check a lot) :p

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Why does everyone on here always suggest people spend more money than they're willing to spend?

I say if you can swing a better computer go for it but obviously you had a fixed amount that you wanted to spend and unless this is going to be your only computer I suggest you think with your wallet. If you trust the guy selling it this could potentially be a good deal for the money if not walk away and wait for a new opportunity to come along.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Why does everyone on here always suggest people spend more money than they're willing to spend?

Because some of those who have asked this question are not just:

1) "cheap", to use the US term, "tight" or "mean" to use UK English, or,

2) genuinely short of funds, or,

3) suggesting scenarios which scream "fraud", or "scam".

Anyone who seriously thinks that a computer without battery, install disks or box is a good buy irrespective of price unless you want spare parts - or, even, perhaps a legit buy - needs their head examined. They are either naive or blind. Or complicit. This is not a good buy, rather, it is throwing money away. That is why MR members suggest that if you are seriously contemplating spending the guts of $500 on something so self-evidently flawed, why not have peace of mind, a proper computer, and a legit transaction for a mere $ 200 more?

sumone

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Because some of those who have asked this question are not just:

1) "cheap", to use the US term, "tight" or "mean" to use UK English, or,

2) genuinely short of funds, or,

3) suggesting scenarios which scream "fraud", or "scam".

Anyone who seriously thinks that a computer without battery, install disks or box is a good buy irrespective of price unless you want spare parts - or, even, perhaps a legit buy - needs their head examined. They are either naive or blind. Or complicit. This is not a good buy, rather, it is throwing money away. That is why MR members suggest that if you are seriously contemplating spending the guts of $500 on something so self-evidently flawed, why not have peace of mind, a proper computer, and a legit transaction for a mere $ 200 more?

But here's the thing, i'm not saying the OP won't appreciate the "spend more money advice" but he did not ask "Should I just spend more money?" So technically suggesting he spend more is not good advice if that's not what the person is asking. Surely he could spend more and get a better deal i.e. go to apple.com and buy one brand new but clearly that's not what the OP is going for. Based on the OP signature my impression is that the Air is not a necessity but would be a nice gadget to supplement the tech they already have and for this reason they did NOT want to spend full price. Of course at the end of the day its ultimately the OP choice but imo if you're going to be a helpful MR member stick to offering advice to the actual question.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
But here's the thing, i'm not saying the OP won't appreciate the "spend more money advice" but he did not ask "Should I just spend more money?" So technically suggesting he spend more is not good advice if that's not what the person is asking. Surely he could spend more and get a better deal i.e. go to apple.com and buy one brand new but clearly that's not what the OP is going for. Based on the OP signature my impression is that the Air is not a necessity but would be a nice gadget to supplement the tech they already have and for this reason they did NOT want to spend full price. Of course at the end of the day its ultimately the OP choice but imo if you're going to be a helpful MR member stick to offering advice to the actual question.

Well then, my answer to the actual question is no, it is not worth it.

However, rather than simply and solely giving a blunt and flat negative, I find it is usually better to try and offer, possibly better, alternatives. Hence, my subsequent remarks. Anyway, in my earlier post, I quoted tbobmccoy whose post argued that this is a 'red flag" situation. I agree. It smells extremely fishy to me, and my advice to be to steer well away from this offer.

Cheers

gmans46

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
wait a week for the new mbas to go on sale not only will there be an influx of people selling there old ones, but the price of the old ones will go down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.