Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tonight, Apple release two new iPhone commercials advertising AirPlay and FaceTime features of the iPhone 4.

The ads appear to be an extension of the "If you don't have an iPhone" campaign which started in March. This time the ads end with "just one more thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone."

Article Link: Apple Airs New AirPlay and FaceTime iPhone Ads

Last edited by a moderator:

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I love both of those features, but I'd love FaceTime even more if it worked over 3G!

I mean, lets face it. If apps on the app store are allowed to use 3G for video calling, then surely an app that comes with the device should be able to!

Last edited:

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
I don't know why Apple didn't think about this...

When I add a person to my contacts and I specify that they have an iPhone, it should put a small "video" icon next to their name on my contact list so that I immediately know that they have an i-device. I have more than 200 names on my contact list and I always forget who I can and cannot Facetime with. This is a glaring omission that Apple made in the way the software is coded. I never use Facetime for this reason. I just can't remember which of my friends have iPhone and which don't.

Fix this and I'm sure many more people will start using Facetime. You better fix it quick because Facebook is gunning for you.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
These smug commercials are really annoying.

If you don't have an iPhone you're probably not a douchebag.

(yes I have an iPhone and I'm a douchebag)

Last edited by a moderator:

MBMBaMdotcom

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Every time I see an Apple commercial, I get this weird, tingling feeling in my heart and I feel extremely happy. I believe in Apple more than I believe in Jesus. Apple stores are like church, the ads are the scriptures, and Steve is like the second coming.

Corbin052198

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Apple's new iPhone ad tagline:

"If you don't have an iPhone, then you're a slave to Google."

:D

P.S - The girl running through the sprinkler is really cute...

itsthenewdc

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
When I add a person to my contacts and I specify that they have an iPhone, it should put a small "video" icon next to their name on my contact list so that I immediately know that they have an i-device. I have more than 200 names on my contact list and I always forget who I can and cannot Facetime with. This is a glaring omission that Apple made in the way the software is coded. I never use Facetime for this reason. I just can't remember which of my friends have iPhone and which don't.

Fix this and I'm sure many more people will start using Facetime. You better fix it quick because Facebook is gunning for you.

Well, it's at least coded for iMessage in iOS 5. Maybe it'll be apart of FaceTime..

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
Does anyone use Airplay? If so, in what situation?

All the time. I take videos or photos while out and then review them with the family on the TV when we get home.

I also use it to watch YouTube videos or music videos in iTunes on the TV as well.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone use Airplay? If so, in what situation?

I use it to stream music mostly. It's amazing how simple it is to do. It's magic of bonjour, which is the tech behind the auto-discovery and auto-setup of devices on the network that Apple uses with all their devices. Pretty neat stuff.

JazzyGB1

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Misleading

Wow - extremely misleading advertising.
You can only send music via airplay if you have an airport express connected to speakers or a compatible stereo system - both of which are expensive and which isn't mentioned at all.
Want to send your photo's or watch a movie from your iPhone on TV?
Then you'll need an Apple TV for that - something else that isn't cheap and isn't mentioned.
I have 2 airport express in my home and an Apple TV and it works just great, but I think this iPhone ad is VERY misleading as it would suggest that all this is possible just via the iPhone itself - which it isn't.
Shame on you Apple! :(

Infernoredram

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Every time I see an Apple commercial, I get this weird, tingling feeling in my heart and I feel extremely happy. I believe in Apple more than I believe in Jesus. Apple stores are like church, the ads are the scriptures, and Steve is like the second coming.

Agreed! :p. Apple is truly magical.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
These smug commercials are really annoying.

If you don't have an iPhone you're probably not a douchebag.

(yes I have an iPhone and I'm a douchebag)

Apple's new iPhone ad tagline:

"If you don't have an iPhone, then you're a slave to Google."

:D

P.S - The girl running through the sprinkler is really cute...

I think these commercials are lacking, compared to the iPad ones. Even the "I'm a Mac" ads were better played.

Guess you don't know what happiness and success are about. Sorry.

Not really, for some reason, Apple has steered away from the classic ads, like when the very 1st iPhone came out in 2007. Even the iPad ads have more taste to them. These ads should be on the iPod Touch not iPhone.

The iPhone still sells tremendously well, but these ads could be better (like the 1st iPhone) in my opinion.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Yup! Many see this as Steve's mindset since the development of the original Mac. Supposedly, Steve had heavy connections into the "progressive" social psychology community from Berkeley in the early Apple days. The alleged strategy is this psych crowd has been trying to replace organized religion with technology for the past thirty years via Steve and others.

At one time, Steve even called the Xerox PARC hires to design the original Mac his "disciples." When you see what Apple is doing for what it is; actually it is pretty funny. But God doesn't need system updates and technical support, you just need faith. A few articles documented that Scully saw psych influence inside Apple that is one of the reasons why Steve was kicked out of Apple in 1984.

Steve in the meantime has become older, wiser and not misguided by those who are anti-God. He has been heavy into his Buddhism and that allowed him to turn the corner away from the dark side. Be interesting to see if any of this makes it into his authorized biography.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
I'll probably get rated down for this, but personally, for how amazingly creative Apple is known for being when it comes to their commercials, these ones are like polar opposite. To be honest it sounds like something Microsoft would do. "If you don't have..."

filman408

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
San Jose, CA
When I add a person to my contacts and I specify that they have an iPhone, it should put a small "video" icon next to their name on my contact list so that I immediately know that they have an i-device.

But not every iPhone has FT.

Once you do FaceTime that number or AppleID, I think it does apply the camera icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.