Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
The media's going crazy over this story. It's funny. The city's not gonna be "paralyzed" - seriously.
There are alternate routes; sure, you have to go way around. But with all this time to prepare, only people who MUST cross into or out of the West Valley will do so.
For instance, I wanted to go to Santa Monica that weekend but I know it would be foolish to go anywhere near there.

It sucks for people who need the 405 to get to work though. But it's getting done on the weekend.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
I thought, growing up on Long Island and now living in NJ, that I knew what bad traffic was. Then I visited San Diego and LA. Unbelievable. At one point, there were two highways next to each other, six lanes each, packed in both directions. I can't imagine what it will be like in 50 years. They have to invent flying cars or build some smart monorails or something to save you guys.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I-64, which is the main interstate running right through the center of St. Louis, was closed for 2 years while they rebuilt it, and we survived. I think L.A. can handle 2 days - and on a weekend no less.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
They're destroying the Mulholland Overpass so they can rebuild it for the 405 expansion. For everyone who lives in the westside, it sucks. For everyone else, they can take the long way around.

Or you can be like me, and be in Vegas next weekend :D

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Overrated!

But I may be wrong....:p

However my commute goes from Inglewood to Irvine southbound but I wonder when i come back if northbound traffic will be jammed as far as Carson/Long Beach??:(:eek:

Traffic starts building from Sunset Blvd all the way till LAX every weekday but not weekends...

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
They're destroying the Mulholland Overpass so they can rebuild it for the 405 expansion. For everyone who lives in the westside, it sucks. For everyone else, they can take the long way around.

Or you can be like me, and be in Vegas next weekend :D

I see they are going to widen the road. How many lanes is it now and what is it going to? After a while, when do you give up and just start building another level to it (probably not a great idea in LA actually.....)?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I-64, which is the main interstate running right through the center of St. Louis, was closed for 2 years while they rebuilt it, and we survived. I think L.A. can handle 2 days - and on a weekend no less.
I agree that 2yrs is worse than 2 days but I think you underestimate how packed LA is. I grew up in the Midwest and freeway closures/construction there don't have near the ripple effect that they do here (in large part due to geography and population density). The LA freeway system is literally one of busiest in the world and the 101/405 interchange alone (the northern end of the closure) handles over 500,00 vehicles a day. That's a little more than half the population of St. Louis.

A more fair comparison is I-64 doesn't exist, the 270 bridge over the Mississippi is closed, the river is about 7 miles wide, all the bridges are one lane each way full of switchbacks and half the population is trying to get from one bank to the other.:p

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The LA freeway system is literally one of busiest in the world and the 101/405 interchange alone (the northern end of the closure) handles over 500,00 vehicles a day. That's a little more than half the population of St. Louis.

Agreed, LA is the 14th busiest traffic congestion place in the world, and 1st in the United States :p

Beijing is first, followed by Mexico City.. ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
This reminds me of a few years back with closure of the Wilson Bridge in the DC area... traffic was bad... but the word got out and it was not as bad as folks thought...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The media's going crazy over this story. It's funny. The city's not gonna be "paralyzed" - seriously.
There are alternate routes; sure, you have to go way around. But with all this time to prepare, only people who MUST cross into or out of the West Valley will do so.
For instance, I wanted to go to Santa Monica that weekend but I know it would be foolish to go anywhere near there.

It sucks for people who need the 405 to get to work though. But it's getting done on the weekend.
THIS
I love how ****ing sensationalized it is. Living there all my life I can say that this will be an inconvenience but not the end of the world.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
I see they are going to widen the road. How many lanes is it now and what is it going to? After a while, when do you give up and just start building another level to it (probably not a great idea in LA actually.....)?

It's literally just one lane. Personally I wonder how much of an effect it'll have. The 405 and 101 going to the Valley and the 110 going to South Bay are so f'd up in the afternoon, I don't think a single is gonna do anything.

I know the contractor involved though, which is Kiewet. They're very good about getting things done on time.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
It's literally just one lane. Personally I wonder how much of an effect it'll have. The 405 and 101 going to the Valley and the 110 going to South Bay are so f'd up in the afternoon, I don't think a single is gonna do anything.

I know the contractor involved though, which is Kiewet. They're very good about getting things done on time.

I don't see one lane helping that much unless you also add longer ramps to ease the flow of traffic on and off the highway. After a while, you just have too many cars and nothing will help unless you add other highways, going in the same direction, but further east or west of the ones you already have.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Dang, wrong Carmageddon.

Carmageddon_box.jpg

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
THIS
I love how ****ing sensationalized it is. Living there all my life I can say that this will be an inconvenience but not the end of the world.

I don't really see it as being sensationalized. I think that they're covering it so extensively so that more people will actually find out about it before this upcoming weekend.

There are a lot of clueless people in this city......:p

It's bad timing for me, as I have family visiting me all week. So, we're going to visit the places that require the 405 during the week, and we'll stick around my home area on the weekend.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Or take Sepulveda and stop being such a pansy. :D

Sepulveda will be completely mashed that weekend! Anyway, KTLA said that the police want to try to keep Sepulveda limited to local traffic and emergency vehicles.

I prefer Beverly Glen....it's such a nice drive. It's actually my usual route.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Sepulveda will be completely mashed that weekend! Anyway, KTLA said that the police want to try to keep Sepulveda limited to local traffic and emergency vehicles.

I prefer Beverly Glen....it's such a nice drive. It's actually my usual route.

Pick one, and open a lemonade stand.

I believe you will do quite well. ;)

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA

Its california though, everything is worse in california. Have they posted the cancer risk of this shut down yet?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This reminds me of a few years back with closure of the Wilson Bridge in the DC area... traffic was bad... but the word got out and it was not as bad as folks thought...

I remember that. The word went out well in advance and the city and local media did a great job on advising people. Wonder why L.A. Is having such a problem managing this since it is one of the three media capitals of the USA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.