Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
!!!WARNING!!!
Before you edit any file make sure you back up the original file.

I didn't make most of the mods I just found, modified, tested them and rewrote the instructions to suit the iPad 2 runing firmware 4.3.3.
I will give credit to the person who originally found the mods if possible.

------------------

If you download iFile from cydia you can skip all of these steps and jump right in.

If you want a free solution and dont mind or would prefer to use a pc or mac then follow these simple steps.

Step 1.
Setup SSH

I have already made a quick guide here follow that and then come back.

Step 2.
Setting Up

Windows User
You will need to download a plist editor which you can get here.

Mac user
You already have the native OSX plist editor but if you fancy using something different the you can get PL Tools.

Step 3.
SSH + Edit
If you followed my guide on how to setup SSH you will now be able to browse to the relevant file download it from your iPad MAKE A BACKUP edit the file and reupload it to your iPad.

------------------

Now thats out of the way all of these mods have been tested my me and I will be adding to the list as I get chance to test more.

------------------

How to change the carrier name:

Navigate to:

System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app/K93AP.plist

Search for and change

Code:
<key>device-name</key>
<string>iPad</string>

To:

Code:
<key>device-name</key>
<string>CUSTOM TITLE</string>

Respring or restart your iPad.

This will also change your signature in the mail app so goto Settings>Mail and change your signature.
On spotlight it will also now say Search <YOUR CUSTOM TITLE> which can not be changed.
------------------

How to enable multi-touch gestures:

Navigate to:

private/var/mobile/Libary/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist

Right at the top under <dict>
Add these 2 lines

Code:
<key>SBUseSystemGestures</key>
<true/>

Last edited:

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
going to try this later, but can you list the gestures that are enabled after this tweak

Everything is only by four fingers (the iOS5 betas hav four and five fingers which is more ergonomical)

four fingers up to open the multitasking bar
four fingers pinch to go to homescreen
four finger swipe (left or right) to switch between open apps

I suggest applying this tweak with Xcode (on a mac), becasue that will add a menu item inside settings to turn this on or off at will.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Didn't know I could turn on gestures. I was looking for a reason to JB my iPad2. I don't have a Mac so no xcode now I may have to JB later this week. I want to see the bug list for now but thanks to the OP for this list

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks OP I made the edits to the plist and both of these work with no problem.
Also I'm able to use all 5 fingers to do the gestures.
Good stuff

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks OP I made the edits to the plist and both of these work with no problem.
Also I'm able to use all 5 fingers to do the gestures.
Good stuff

No problem I will be adding some more in the next few days. If you fancy something a bit more challenging hope over to http://tech-guruz.co.uk if anyone does vist my site be sure to let me know how it goes. The site was kind of thrown together due to my thread being removed from here :(

ppeewang

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Thank you for the Multigesture one. I upgraded from 4.3 and was missing that feature badly when I realized it was gone.

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Just wanted to say that this hack works well on the iPad 1 3G 32GB. I used iFile to insert the relevant text for gestures. The only slight annoyance is that when switching directly between apps, there is a slight lag before the new app is operational. This lag does not happen if you first invoke the multitasking bar (with the animation etc).

The other tweak I recommend is modifying the Mobile Mail plist so that more local messages are retained on the iPad (200 is too few for my work model). But CAUTION: more than 1000 causes the scrolling to get laggy. Perhaps this works more smoothly on iPad2 ???

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Just wanted to say that this hack works well on the iPad 1 3G 32GB. I used iFile to insert the relevant text for gestures. The only slight annoyance is that when switching directly between apps, there is a slight lag before the new app is operational. This lag does not happen if you first invoke the multitasking bar (with the animation etc).

The other tweak I recommend is modifying the Mobile Mail plist so that more local messages are retained on the iPad (200 is too few for my work model). But CAUTION: more than 1000 causes the scrolling to get laggy. Perhaps this works more smoothly on iPad2 ???

I bought iFile so need to ask. when I use it to edit the .plist I get error message that there is invalid D on line 10 or 12. it wont save the file.

any thoughts?

very weird on my ipad2, I was unregistered. I removed and resprung. I then reinstall, went into settings and was still unregisterd, then open up cydia to buy. Said I purchased the package and then registration was "successful". Odd

Seems to work.:confused:

I will try on my ipad 1 when i get home again.

Last edited:

db67fm

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
------------------

How to enable multi-touch gestures:

Navigate to:

private/var/mobile/Libary/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist

Right at the top under <dict>
Add these 2 lines

Code:
<key>SBUseSystemGestures</key>
<true/>

Worked great, thanks.

Now if you want to have a Multitask Gestures ON/OFF Switch in your settings follow this guide.

Using iFile, go to:

“Applications/Preferences.app/General.plist

Using iFile search function search for the misspelled word "Mutlitasking". There are 2 instances where this word is misspelled. Just edit the file correcting the spelling to “Multitasking”. Re-spring or reboot and you will have the switch in your settings.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Worked great, thanks.

Now if you want to have a Multitask Gestures ON/OFF Switch in your settings follow this guide.

Using iFile, go to:

“Applications/Preferences.app/General.plist

Using iFile search function search for the misspelled word "Mutlitasking". There are 2 instances where this word is misspelled. Just edit the file correcting the spelling to “Multitasking”. Re-spring or reboot and you will have the switch in your settings.

Nice! Thanks for the tip.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009

How?

Happytodd

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
My iPad 2 is a 3G model and my carrier name says 'No SIM', however when I go into the plist file it says 'iPad'. Does anyone know where the file is located that says 'No SIM' as I will never have a sim in my iPad, I'll be tethering this baby with my iPhone 4.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
My iPad 2 is a 3G model and my carrier name says 'No SIM', however when I go into the plist file it says 'iPad'. Does anyone know where the file is located that says 'No SIM' as I will never have a sim in my iPad, I'll be tethering this baby with my iPhone 4.

Go to the network settings and turn data off. If you not using the radio it will have battery life to have it off.

Happytodd

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2010
Go to the network settings and turn data off. If you not using the radio it will have battery life to have it off.

Under Network there is only an option for both VPN and Wi-Fi as their is no SIM inserted. I managed to get iPad to appear by usig SBSettings and turned Data off! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.