Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
So this last Saturday I dropped in to a local electronics joint and was playing with a G4 iBook (I want, but don't have the ¥. Anyway....)
So I'm playing with this iBook, listening to my iPod when I hear this banging. I look behind me and the sales guy is demonstrating the shock-proof powers of the iPod by banging it on the counter!!! :eek: WTF?!?!

I doubt anyone else has experienced something like this. If you have, please, do tell!

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
5300cs said:
So this last Saturday I dropped in to a local electronics joint and was playing with a G4 iBook (I want, but don't have the ¥. Anyway....)
So I'm playing with this iBook, listening to my iPod when I hear this banging. I look behind me and the sales guy is demonstrating the shock-proof powers of the iPod by banging it on the counter!!! :eek: WTF?!?!

I doubt anyone else has experienced something like this. If you have, please, do tell!
you may have read it wrong there i think - it was actually bill gates getting jiggy with the ipod due to all his staff not working on longhorn like they shoud do and playing with there ipod's lol

i hate it when people look at the ibooks and powerbooks in the apple stores and put there fingers all over the screen arrrrrrgggghhh winds me right up!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
The guy was like "SEE? IT DOESN'T SKIP. NOPE, NO SKIPPING HERE. IF THERE'S ONE THING THIS DOESN'T DO, THAT'S SKIP. IT'LL RUN, BUT SKIPPING IS ONE THING THAT IT WON'T DO, MY FRIEND." all the while going BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG on the counter. :mad:

On second thought, I should've demonstrated on his skull

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sometimes salespeople should know when to stop, when a sale is just not worth it! ;)

Wonder what the desk was made out of. It can't have been wood/soft plastic/glass!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
It was made of plexi-glass, and YES, it was a demo model.

Now that I know some places do things like that, I won't buy floor models anymore. :rolleyes:

Knock on wood, I have had excellent luck with floor models. The only portable I had problems with was my lemon iBook (G3 800) which I bought new

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
How lucky you were to witness the "Samsonite Gorilla Test" first hand on and iPod.

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Ipod Skips

Ok first off ipod skips, because i once had it bouncing around in my cargos and it froze. Secondly, iPods stop when they are dropped... part of the protection on their harddrives.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
5300cs said:
It was made of plexi-glass, and YES, it was a demo model.

Now that I know some places do things like that, I won't buy floor models anymore. :rolleyes:

Knock on wood, I have had excellent luck with floor models. The only portable I had problems with was my lemon iBook (G3 800) which I bought new

Most of the shops I have worked in don't sell "abused" display models to customers. They are trashed, sold or given to staff members.

Many years ago it was popular with either Nikon or Canon cameras to stand on the lens with the camera resting on its back to show the body strength.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Blackheart said:
Oh lol, OK. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss "iPod Software Update Badass".

I think you did. I have it. Try running software update.

You'd be surprised what display models go through... it terrible. I've seen customers poke at LCD screens like they're a freakin touch display. Pound on keyboards... on & on. I can no longer buy any display electronics.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I remember when I bought my first diskman it was the first model(too my knoweldge) to come with an anti-skip on it..whole blazing 3 seconds.
But anyways the sale person demonstrated this by holding down the door release mechanism, thus making the cd player think it's closed and start playing. Then once the buffer was full he ripped the disk out of the player, WHILE IT'S SPINNING mind you to prove that the anti-skip works.

Sure it proved the point but I can't see that being good for the player.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
I was in the local head shop a few years back looking at some nice glass bowls around the $300 range. The one I had my eye on was around a foot long but it had a thin spot in the middle. It was marked $450 and looked well worth it, but i made my reservations known to the sales goon that it looked too thin. He said, no man this is inside out glass you could drop it on concrete and it wouldn't break. After a little chuckle I asked him to prove it. He then procieded to drop the bowl on to the carpeted floor were it broke it to two pieces, snaping right where I told him it would. Idoit.

I guess he had never sold hand blown glass in coliseum parking lots like I have.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
japan
RandomDeadHead said:
...He then procieded to drop the bowl on to the carpeted floor were it broke it to two pieces, snaping right where I told him it would...

Hahaha, that's great.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
5300cs said:

When I first read this I thought he was banging your ipod. I almost flipped out when I read this. Then I realized he was banging a display model.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
RandomDeadHead said:
I guess he had never sold hand blown glass in coliseum parking lots like I have.

Wow. You sould artistic handblown glass in the Coliseum's parking lot in Rome? That's pretty fascinating. ;)

hehehe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.