Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lizluz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Nuketown
I know a topic similar to this has probably already been created somewhere in this forum, although everywhere I've looked I can't seem for find a definite answer.
Basically, I use the site stardoll.com. I was using it today, until it just came up with the message:

"Safari can’t find the server. Safari can’t open the page “http://www.stardoll.com/” because Safari can’t find the server “www.stardoll.com”."

I've emptied my cache. Deleted all of my history. Restarted my computer twice. Restarted both my modem and router yet it still comes up with the same message. It won't work in Firefox or Chrome too, and also, when I use the site via a web proxy it does load, but web proxies aren't a long term solution to this problem as they don't correctly display the page (especially because the site heavily relies on Flash and Javascript).

I'd really, really like an answer to this. I use the site daily and I don't have any other computer except this one, and I'm pretty sure this isn't going to fix itself overnight - although if it does I think I'll start singing. Haha.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

lizluz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Nuketown
@lfc

I'm not too sure about that really. I know that there are people suing the site right now because I have friends from the site who are on - no one else is having the same issue. I think it might have something to do with proxies, but I haven't touched a thing to do with them so I'm still left wondering. You can't directly send them e-mails either - you have to use the support section in the site. Sucks really :/

And also, I was using my iPod Touch and that can't seem to connect to the server either which is really odd. The site does usually load on my iPod (even if it does take like, 5 minutes to load properly lol).

@Michaelgtrusa

I was thinking that. But I haven't altered any setting on both my iPod or Mac so I really don't know what's up 0_0

@shmegal325i

Tried that. Wont work.

npinpi

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
Had same problem this week. HOURS with tech support with internet and cable provider. Even swapped out my cable modem thinking that would help. FINALLY on live chat with Earthlink I got someone with a brain. Simply had me go to system preferences, network, advanced, DNS tab, and he gave me some specific numbers to put in there. Viola! fixed in less than two minutes! I googled to find out what DNS was about and it was something about not being able to translate the website addresses properly. Anyway, a really easy fix. Just call your internet provider and tell them you need to new DNS addresses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.