Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I usually use gmail on firefox. I wanted to email photos from iphoto. I highlighted several and clicked on EMAIL, wrote the message and sent it.
I can't find it under SENT mail. So i don't know whether it went out.

How can i check?

I would rather send the photos from my regular gmail account in firefox. How do i do that? i can't drag them. I know how to attach photos that I have filed away, but not photos that are in iphoto.

Other issue today, is that i can't always duplicate photos in iphoto. i tried using apple +D, or going to the menu. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. what might i be doing?
thks

Kyzelios

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Canada
You can export the photos that you wish to e-mail from iPhoto to a folder on your computers hard drive to send using Gmail or manipulate in another photo editing application.

To export photos from your iPhoto library:
  • Highlight the photos you wish to e-mail in iPhoto (you can select more than one using the Command key).
  • From the menu bar, click on File, then click on "Export..."
  • Choose the settings you wish to use for quality and file type.
  • Click the Export button and select a location to export to.
Once you've exported your selected photos, open Gmail and send them as per usual. You can delete the images from the exported location after sending your message to free up hard disk space, don't worry this won't delete them from iPhoto.

As far as the photos you've already sent, try firing up Apple Mail and see if they are listed there under the Sent folder. By default, Gmail will keep a copy of anything sent through their e-mail (SMTP) servers so if you're not seeing it in Gmail there's a chance it wasn't sent or your e-mail account may be configured in such a way that sent messages aren't saved.

Hope that helps, have a great day!

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
I also use gmail . . I set up Mail.app to use my gmail service via IMAP. I can email photos from iPhoto, and they will be sent through my gmail account.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I usually use gmail on firefox. I wanted to email photos from iphoto. I highlighted several and clicked on EMAIL, wrote the message and sent it.
I can't find it under SENT mail. So i don't know whether it went out.

How can i check?

I would rather send the photos from my regular gmail account in firefox. How do i do that? i can't drag them. I know how to attach photos that I have filed away, but not photos that are in iphoto.

Other issue today, is that i can't always duplicate photos in iphoto. i tried using apple +D, or going to the menu. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. what might i be doing?
thks

To attach photos from iPhoto in web Gmail in Firefox select the Attach button as you would to add any other file but scroll down to "MEDIA" and you will see Photos along with Music and Movies. This not only works in Gmail , but about any where you need to see or access your Media files from within another App.

Attachments

• Voila_DropDown.png
    Voila_DropDown.png
    107 KB · Views: 260

Mikeylauf

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
Can check from within iPhoto

When in iPhoto highlight the pictures in question and either pick "info" from the "view" menu or hit command-I.

A column will come up on the right hand side of the picture with information including sharing. It will say when the pictures were emailed and to whom.

mrsrader

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
System Preferences

I went into System Preferences, clicked on "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" and then clicked to add an account. Now I can e-mail photos through gmail directly from iPhoto.

alainr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I tried the general System Preferences--and it doesn't have a "Mail, contacts and calendars" option. i'm on os x 10.6.8

I went into System Preferences, clicked on "Mail, Contacts & Calendars" and then clicked to add an account. Now I can e-mail photos through gmail directly from iPhoto.

abavetta

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
To attach photos from iPhoto in web Gmail in Firefox select the Attach button as you would to add any other file but scroll down to "MEDIA" and you will see Photos along with Music and Movies. This not only works in Gmail , but about any where you need to see or access your Media files from within another App.

Good suggestion. One problem doing it this way however. If you send from iPhoto via Apple "Mail" you have the option of picking the fidelity of the photo from small to full size. If you send from gmail directly as you suggest I think you can only send the full sized image.

ctone

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
A disadvantage of emailing directly from iPhoto with a POP email account is that you don't have any record of what photos were sent or to whom they were sent. The advantage however, is that if your email is POP, then it doesn't use up hard drive space saving a photo in the "sent" folder that already exists in your iPhoto library. Using an IMAP account like Gmail would be different in that the email and photo would be saved on the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.