Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAG3194

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Which diary app for the iPad would be the best for someone looking to confess their feelings to. :)

I know iPad App Store just became live and all just wanted to know if anyone stumbled upon one.

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
I saw one on there earlier (just search for diary). I have momento for my ipod touch, and hope they come out with an iPad version. I still wonder how text-heavy apps like this will look "pixel doubled"..will the fonts be doubled? I guess I'll find out shortly!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Take a look at Bento. I know it's a "Database" app, but I use it for capturing lots of diary-like things. It's really easy to set up as you want it, customizing fields and layout. You could build a great "diary" in a few minutes, fully customized to how you'd like to see it.

SAG3194

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Take a look at Bento. I know it's a "Database" app, but I use it for capturing lots of diary-like things. It's really easy to set up as you want it, customizing fields and layout. You could build a great "diary" in a few minutes, fully customized to how you'd like to see it.

I'm looking for a full out diary app.

lol

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Just curious: how does a diary app different from a good note taking app? What are the requirements for a good diary app?

John Benitez

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Below are the top applications to make your diary on iPad:
Penultimate
Audiotorium
PaperDesk
MaxJournal for iPad
iNapkin 2
WikiServer Pro
I used some of these applications which are awesome without any bugs.

PolarIce

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Glad I was able to find this thread! I have been going through all the suggestion on this thread, but my question is this. Do any of these apps back up the journal entries you've written onto your mac?

This might be a silly question, but I want to make sure I can back them up.

matt90036

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
I've tried and read reviews about several apps mentioned above. After several hours I stumbled across Daily Notes. This is a calendar/note taking/todo app. It automatically opens on a current date, has an option to easily stamp in time and begin writing your notes or diary. When you are done you can back it up to dropbox or if you like import all of your entries into a word document.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
MaxJournal. Hands down.

MaxJournal actually looks really good.

I think i'll be purchasing a journaling app myself very soon. I'm trying to distance myself away from my MBP.

I've had MacJournal on my Touch and it's been subpar.

Edit: Day One seems to be the best one. At least, so far. Lovin' it.

Last edited:

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Just curious; what do you guys use these journalling apps for? A simple journal of your thoughts and things you've been doing? Or other purposes. I read one guy uses Day One to jot down ideas he has etc..

I use evernote for school notes and random web stuff I want to keep, or products I'm interested in, etc..

Just looking to see what other uses people have for a separate app like this that doesn't get jumbled into the larger evernote or whatever database.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Just curious; what do you guys use these journalling apps for? A simple journal of your thoughts and things you've been doing? Or other purposes. I read one guy uses Day One to jot down ideas he has etc..

I use evernote for school notes and random web stuff I want to keep, or products I'm interested in, etc..

Just looking to see what other uses people have for a separate app like this that doesn't get jumbled into the larger evernote or whatever database.

Notes & project planning goes in OmniFocus, whether on OSX or iOS.

I've been looking for a journaling app to write thoughts out. I used to do it in a leather binded journal years ago and miss the fact that writing my day to day helped so much in making things clearer.

I do think nothing will ever beat pen and paper but having everything on the iPad is super nice and minimalistic. :D

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Cool thanks, I caved and got the iOS and OS X versions. Gonna give it a shot. I was never one to keep a journal of thoughts. I would try to get into a blogging a little bit but just something about it being out there for anyone to read meant I never kept it up for very long.

This might be a nice change and get me thinking about things a little more. Maybe help motivate me to actually get to the things I have on my todo lists as well :p

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Cool thanks, I caved and got the iOS and OS X versions. Gonna give it a shot. I was never one to keep a journal of thoughts. I would try to get into a blogging a little bit but just something about it being out there for anyone to read meant I never kept it up for very long.

This might be a nice change and get me thinking about things a little more. Maybe help motivate me to actually get to the things I have on my todo lists as well :p

Glad to have been of assistance.
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.