Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Hi I'm a senior in high school and currently 17 and I am about 1-2 weeks away from releasing my app into the app store. I want it to be priced at either .99 or 1.99 USD and I am not sure if there is an age limit for releasing paid apps into the store. I know I have to fill out a "paid applications contract" and I am prepared for that but they won't give me any trouble will they? I know what I'm doing and stuff so I hope not. I can't wait to get my app released and I will for sure post it on the forums when it is ready for you to look at. Your help would be greatly appreciated!:D

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
In order to release an app to the app store you need to sign a contract with Apple. Therefore anyone who releases an app on the app store must be of legal age to sign contracts. I believe this is 18 in the US. Most likely you will want to have one of your parents do it.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
alright well i'll give it a shot and if they accept then good if not I'll have my parents sign....I just hope if it comes down to that, the app will still be in my name in the app store.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
...if not I'll have my parents sign....I just hope if it comes down to that, the app will still be in my name in the app store.
It won't. Whoever signs the contract, gets the Seller Name, which in that case would be one of your parents. Also, make sure they are aware of other factors in them signing the contract (liability, taxes, etc.) Another option you may want to investigate is to set up a company.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Dang.....that's not good to hear. Well first i'm going to try and sign it myself ( i'm already getting tax returns from other jobs ) but if they catch on I'll just have my parents name on the app. But yeah me and my friend are looking in to start a company soon but first we wanted to make a little from this app. Hopefully it takes off!

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Dang.....that's not good to hear. Well first i'm going to try and sign it myself ( i'm already getting tax returns from other jobs ) but if they catch on I'll just have my parents name on the app. But yeah me and my friend are looking in to start a company soon but first we wanted to make a little from this app. Hopefully it takes off!

Assuming they don't refuse to do any further business with you because you've not acted in good faith. You are attempting to act as if you're entering into a legal contract with Apple, but you know that the contract would in fact be invalid because you are not of legal age.

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
True....I suppose for my first app I'll just have a parent do it under their account and when I turn 18 in 5 months I can then switch accounts. Being 17 can be a #!^&#...just saying:)

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Assuming they don't refuse to do any further business with you because you've not acted in good faith. You are attempting to act as if you're entering into a legal contract with Apple, but you know that the contract would in fact be invalid because you are not of legal age.

yup - and signaling that intent on a public forum isn't the best move, TBH...

I know it sucks being just 5 months away from turning 18 and being able to do things in your own name, but at this stage it's best to do things all 'above board' to avoid any difficulties later.

RTP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.