Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Does jailbreaking an iPhone 4 slow it down at all?

Any lag like a jailbroken 3G?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I jailbroke my iPhone 4 the day it became available, and haven't noticed any change in battery, performance, etc.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010

The act of jailbreaking in itself doesnt slow it down, its when you're running a theme on winterboard, video wallpaper, backgrounder, and multiple other mods going on that your phone COULD experience slowdown.

I say COULD bc the i4 with its powerful processor and 512mb of ram is able to handle much more than a 3G or 3GS.

i have noticed zero to marinal slowdown on my i4, but mileage may vary based on a persons setup.

I had a 3G before my i4 and unjailbroke bc of the weak specs and me backgrounding, theming it etc

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
99% of time, don't notice any difference. Some instances I do, like photo album doesn't scroll smoothly anymore and very slight faster battery drain. I'll take JB over the minor issues any day of week.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2010
just jb does not slow down,but if you start installing lots of applications without doing research then it will surely have impact on the performance...

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
I keep my jb apps to two (tetherMe & 3G unrestrictor) so it's pretty stable. The more you install & uninstall, the more chance of crashes and battery drain. Just my 2cents.

tedwu100

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011

Yes it will slow ur iphone 4 down, and it is very noticeable when you are playing games especially racing games. the game will lag.
And all those people who say that JB wont slow things down are talking ********.
No matter how much things you install from cydia you will LAG for sure.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Yes it will slow ur iphone 4 down, and it is very noticeable when you are playing games especially racing games. the game will lag.
And all those people who say that JB wont slow things down are talking ********.
No matter how much things you install from cydia you will LAG for sure.

Droid user?:confused:

Mine is unaffected. I did notice quicker battery drain but after lowering brightness just a tad to compensate (I've never taken the iPhone 4 off of max. brightness) that's good again too. Of course I'm not playing Black Ops either, that's what PS3 is for.;)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Jailbreaking just adds the ability to add functions & non app store apps to the iPhone. Jailbreaking itself doesn't slow down the iPhone at all, it depends what you add to your iPhone after you jailbreak.

I myself have a ton of jailbroken apps & functions and it hasn't slowed my iP4 down at all, same when I had the 3GS.

Only problems you might encounter are compatibility crashes that will put you in safe mode after you install something. It's rare but it does happen. Only happened to me after I installed a NES game rom pack.

Also, battery life hasn't been a issue for me at all.

Randman

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
I did the jailbreakme option on my iPhone 4 this week and have noticed a degradation in battery life as well as some lag, most noticeably opening applications for the first time.

Not enough of either to make me go back, at least until iOS 5 is out.

tedwu100

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2011
I did the jailbreakme option on my iPhone 4 this week and have noticed a degradation in battery life as well as some lag, most noticeably opening applications for the first time.

Not enough of either to make me go back, at least until iOS 5 is out.

DOes yours lag with playing games like Need for speed?? and other 3D racing games?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.