Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Saw the new Harry Potter with the wife last night as she's a fan who's read all the books. It was pretty good. We saw the 2D version and just to warn everyone the Batman: Dark Knight preview was not shown. I guess it's only in the 3D preview. :confused:

I have to say looking back I don't know if there's been any other series as "successful" as Harry Potter. I mean this is like the major epic of this generation. I just think it's a testament that the series could maintain it's momentum over the last decade and that each movie was a "quality" product. Can anyone else think of an 8 movie series that compares? Sure we have The Lord of the Rings, but that was a trilogy. To me, 8 movies is quite the feat of staying power. Any little thing could have seriously derailed it, but they kept it together.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

eternlgladiator

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Twin Cities
Saw the new Harry Potter with the wife last night as she's a fan who's read all the books. It was pretty good. We saw the 2D version and just to warn everyone the Batman: Dark Knight preview was not shown. I guess it's only in the 3D preview. :confused:

I have to say looking back I don't know if there's been any other series as "successful" as Harry Potter. I mean this is like the major epic of this generation. I just think it's a testament that the series could maintain it's momentum over the last decade and that each movie was a "quality" product. Can anyone else think of an 8 movie series that compares? Sure we have The Lord of the Rings, but that was a trilogy. To me, 8 movies is quite the feat of staying power. Any little thing could have seriously derailed it, but they kept it together.

I saw the batman trailer on the 2D version this weekend. It's on the warner brothers facebook page now. It's a tad lame and definitely a teaser but still very exciting.

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
So you didn't make it to the first fight sequence with the giant samurai? You missed some eye candy then, but I understand.. the movie is a mess.
That movie was a mess. It had chances to be a great movie, but they just screwed it over with her mother dying then the dancing and the war and what not.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal

Not to diminish the feat of making that many successful movies in a row (after all, they could have sucked), but the success of the movies is largely because the books were so hugely successful first. There really is no comparable book-to-movie transition among other bestselling books out there, not as a series anyway.

Even the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has had its popularity spread out over several decades, never reaching anywhere close to the kind of peak that the Harry Potter series did. The James Bond series was mostly based on the books of Ian Fleming, but spread out over far more movies and only a small fraction of James Bond movie fans have read the books too. It's hard to imagine a book series repeating the kind of popularity that the Harry Potter series has. Broadly popular with kids AND pulling in adults too? Pretty unlikely.

Personally, I was never curious to read the books and only saw the first movie before bailing on the series. The child actors' chirpy little accents had grown tiresome by the halfway mark and I didn't think the story was compelling enough to continue with it. It's hard to argue with the success of the franchise though.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
James Bond is a great example that I didn't think of. You are right about the Harry Potter books laying a foundation for the success of the movies, but I think the movies have brought in an audience that never read the books. But, back to James Bond, there's some pretty serious staying power there as they've continued to churn out movies now for almost five decades. Yep, Dr. No was released in 1962. :eek: And, like you mentioned, I would agree that few have ever read an Ian Fleming novel.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Not to diminish the feat of making that many successful movies in a row (after all, they could have sucked), but the success of the movies is largely because the books were so hugely successful first. There really is no comparable book-to-movie transition among other bestselling books out there, not as a series anyway.

Even the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has had its popularity spread out over several decades, never reaching anywhere close to the kind of peak that the Harry Potter series did. The James Bond series was mostly based on the books of Ian Fleming, but spread out over far more movies and only a small fraction of James Bond movie fans have read the books too. It's hard to imagine a book series repeating the kind of popularity that the Harry Potter series has. Broadly popular with kids AND pulling in adults too? Pretty unlikely.

Personally, I was never curious to read the books and only saw the first movie before bailing on the series. The child actors' chirpy little accents had grown tiresome by the halfway mark and I didn't think the story was compelling enough to continue with it. It's hard to argue with the success of the franchise though.

Saw the last HP tonight, and was pretty damn impressed. The series (of films, primarily) started out sort of mediocre, and there was a *huge* dip right around no. 5 that I didn't think they'd recover from, but kudos for pulling it off. I've practically only read good reviews of this last one, and thought it deserved them.

That being said, I'm a HP fan to begin with (although case in point - I won't go to the lengths of dressing up for the midnight premiere...)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Saw the last HP tonight, and was pretty damn impressed. The series (of films, primarily) started out sort of mediocre, and there was a *huge* dip right around no. 5 that I didn't think they'd recover from, but kudos for pulling it off. I've practically only read good reviews of this last one, and thought it deserved them.

That being said, I'm a HP fan to begin with (although case in point - I won't go to the lengths of dressing up for the midnight premiere...)

Agree. The HP books are terrific, and yes, I'd class myself as a fan; haven't seen all of the movies, though.

Bowling for Columbine.

I might cry. :(

Great movie, intelligent and damning. The "Brief History of America" was nothing short of superlatively hilarious - one of the sharpest pieces of historical observation and satire that I have ever seen condensed into a few minutes. Brilliant.

Just now, I'm watching the superb German movie, "The Lives of Others". Simply brilliant.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Last night I was mostly watching Akira. Hadn't seen it since 2002, still great!

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Summer Wars on Blu-ray disc. One of best anime movies I've seen in many years.
good3.gif

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
HP's popularity was set when the books became popular, and there was eight of them, so of course they had to make movies for them.

Watched Ratottouille. I'm not exactly sure if that's the right spelling at all.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Coming from a huge fan of the Harry Potter series (Read every book, last couple got em on release, watched every movie), I was kind of disappointed that I couldn't see it on release-day. I would have loved to go to the midnight screening, but I had to get up at 6 the next day, and I can't function on 8 hours of sleep, much less 3. My friends went, and said they got various free goodies (Posters, some t-shirts, a Dark Mark temporary tattoo on their arms,etc).

Overall, I really liked the movie. It was definitely one of the better ones of the series. (I might even classify it as the best one released)

I'm looking forward to it's release on DVD.

All I'm mad about is the $18 it cost to see it...(IMAX 3D. My friends :rolleyes:)

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Just got back from Captain America. I thought it was very well done and I really enjoyed the movie.
just saw this on friday as well... great movie!! Did you stay after the credits and see the Avengers trailer?

Watched a few others over the weekend too...

Source Code - cool movie with a nice little twist to it.
Horrible Bosses - pretty funny, i definitely enjoyed this one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.