Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
So i went to the store to check out the new mini ipods. But none were on display. So i ask about the 'new colors' listed on the site, and all the employees were like what new colors. Personally, the blue, on the site looks different, a lot better, like it has a hint of green in it.

And the 4gb minis, are really the same as the ones they sold before. Which means they probably don't have and 18 hr battery.

So does anyone actually have one of these. And do they look different in color.??

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Apple Stores usually just change the price tag/info box out front until they have a chance (read: a week to two weeks) to get a stock of them, swap them out, etc.

Go to "About this Mac..." on some PowerBooks or iBooks. The one by us had Rev. B PowerBooks up until the Rev. Ds came out, then swapped them. That was because of the Rev. Ds new Scrolling Feature. So they had to.

Not really a big deal that they are last generation. Notice it took a bit for them to get Shuffles? Thus, that time (probably shorter) will it need be for new stuff to come out.

im_noahselby

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2003
Canada
mashinhead said:
And the 4gb minis, are really the same as the ones they sold before. Which means they probably don't have and 18 hr battery.

Wrong. The 4GB iPods are new and will feature the advertised 18 hour battery life.

As for the colours, they appear to be a bit more vibrant than the previous pastels.

Noah

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I went to the Apple Store today and asked about the minis a bit ... they didn't have the new ones out on display, but they had one guy walking around wearing the blue, pink and green. The colors are dramatically different -- much more bold.

Both the new 4gig and the new 6gig look identical, same size, same everything. Both lines feature the bold colors and the improved battery life.

I have to say I was really shocked at the colors -- they were practically glowing neon. Really, phenomenally bright. This picture from iPodLounge illustrates the difference very well ... it is truly THIS bold.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 232

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
yea the new ones are much more 'metalic' looking. and to be honest i prefare the old ones, back then i might have bought the pink one but now it just seems a little too much.

and yea everyone has said it but all the new iPod Minis have 18hour batteries.
im curious about this, they said the iPod battery was 8 hours, but it lasted just 7 for me. and the powerbooks claimed 5 hour battery which is really 3 hours or 4 if you REALLY push it (external monitor, no sound etc).

im buying one soon though, 6gb Blue :)

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
:confused: I much prefer the old iPod mini colours, find the new ultra-neon scheme a bit 'too' much.

A

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
My 6GB mini got shipped out yesterday, hopefully it may be waiting for me at work today (probably not though :rolleyes: ) but will report back as soon as I pick it up....

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Piarco75 said:
My 6GB mini got shipped out yesterday, hopefully it may be waiting for me at work today (probably not though :rolleyes: ) but will report back as soon as I pick it up....

Mine was also shipped yesterday, although I wasn't counting on next-day delivery. Here's hoping!

Edit: Just arrived. :D

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Brize said:
Mine was also shipped yesterday, although I wasn't counting on next-day delivery. Here's hoping!

Edit: Just arrived. :D

Wow! First confirmed delivery is in Europe. Maybe Apple's starting to give some more attention to the European market.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
wordmunger said:
Wow! First confirmed delivery is in Europe. Maybe Apple's starting to give some more attention to the European market.

It certainly looks that way. I ordered a Mac mini for my neighbour a few weeks ago, and that also arrived within two days. It's a very welcome improvement, but long overdue.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
dotnina said:
wow. i really love that new coloring. when i saw on the apple online store that the click wheel buttons were colored i didn't believe it, but that's really cool. probably my favorite part about the way it looks. it makes the click wheel look clear in those parts or something :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
mashinhead said:
did they have an 18 battery life before?

Same hard drive size, but its still a new iPod Mini (including having the glowie click wheel from the new rev, and the 18 hour battery life).

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
HOLY CRAP!!!!
Ordered Wednesday - received today!!! Just got back from a meeting an it was waiting on my desk!
Opened up the brown shipping box, already thinking " wow the new box must be small", but on opening the actual iPod box was within another box!
The new box is tiny (due to the lack of power adapter :rolleyes: ) - it must be around a third of the size to the old box - 16cm x 16cm x 6cm. Remove the sleeve and you're greeted by the typical Apple clamshell packaging, the inner of the top section holding the headphones, USB2 cable and beltclip - the bottom (under the mini)holding the manuals etc. If anyone is bothered I may put up some pics when I get home...

I ended up going for the silver, and to my eyes it does look slightly darker than my current mini. I'll check when I get home if this is true before it goes off to its new owner.

Not sure if this is new, but there are operating instructions actually on the clear wrapping plastic surrounding the mini itself - I don't remember seeing them on my other iPods....

I'll be doing some real world testing on it tonight after I've given it a full charge and see how long the battery does last for....

I'm still amazed at the speed of this delivery! Nice one Apple!

Update: Just got home, and the new box is just over half as big as the old box, and the instructions are in fact on the back of the old mini wrapper too.... strange I've never noticed! The colours are identical - not really that surprising for the silver I suppose! The only obvious difference is the inclusion of the 6GB sign on the back of tne new mini...

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
dotnina said:
I went to the Apple Store today and asked about the minis a bit ... they didn't have the new ones out on display, but they had one guy walking around wearing the blue, pink and green. The colors are dramatically different -- much more bold.

Both the new 4gig and the new 6gig look identical, same size, same everything. Both lines feature the bold colors and the improved battery life.

I have to say I was really shocked at the colors -- they were practically glowing neon. Really, phenomenally bright. This picture from iPodLounge illustrates the difference very well ... it is truly THIS bold.

sweet thats exactly what i was looking for. I did buy a blue one, but i don't want to open it incase i don't like the color, i wish the store next to me would put them on display. If anyone has green or pink, could they post photos?? I kinda like the neon colors.

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Piarco75 said:

Update: Just got home, and the new box is just over half as big as the old box, and the instructions are in fact on the back of the old mini wrapper too.... strange I've never noticed! The colours are identical - not really that surprising for the silver I suppose! The only obvious difference is the inclusion of the 6GB sign on the back of tne new mini...

No this is not suprising, Apple only actually came out with three new colors for the mini, they choose not to alter the silver Ipod. I agree it may in fact be that sillver is ..welll...silver or because it is the hotest selling color.

Electric Monk

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2005
Graphite might be nice.

And Orange would be cool.

Also, I'd love to have these in dark colors - a royal blue would be sweet or a forest green.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
im quite suprised at the battery life. when mine arrived i charged it for an hour, well i say charge more like filling it. i took it off charge and played around with it, and its still going 2 days later (i use it at least 3 hours a day), the battery is 25% full... i still need to do a full charge but the battery life is amazing.

i was messing around on the baby before trying to kill the battery (playing Music Quiz amongst others) but it was having none of it... didnt even drop a pixel.

the 18(apple)-26(ipod lounge) hour battery life is completely feasable.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
I bought one for my girlfriend the day they were released. They're awesome - put my 2G 20gb iPod to shame.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
My engraved 6GB mini showed up today. The green is...very green!

I too would have preferred darker colors. These neon colors are almost too much. Then again, I liked the gold mini -- the least liked mini color of them all. :)

Based on my prior mini and the new battery life I'm expecting mini bliss for sometime. :)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think the hues on the old minis varied a little, too. My niece has a pink iPod mini that is noticably more violet than some of the pink ones I've seen on display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.