Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

politech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
hi,
i want to create app,wich will list me accessible devices in my network(i connet to my network with my iphon and app shows my other computers or devices that are in that network so i can work with them). And i dont know if there is an api for it so i could use it or is there other way to do it?

i read something about Bonjour as a way to see devices in net, but since the devices is my own construction it doesn't have Bonjour on it. So my question is-is it possible to install it on device and use it in way that i could see that device in my iphone app and then by other way send and recive little bit of data from it?

Last edited:

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Perhaps have your iOS app send out a broadcast and then listen for responses from your device(s)?

politech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
ok, buts its not an issu now, becous i'm strugling to understand idea of Bonjour and to know if i can install it on my openwrt device

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
ok, buts its not an issu now, becous i'm strugling to understand idea of Bonjour and to know if i can install it on my openwrt device

Bonjour is Apple's brand name for multicast DNS and DNS service discovery. Perhaps you can install Avahi on your device?

politech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
ehh my bad - i went wrong to it.
The best way is as u said- to use web services server on my device wich will answer to request from iphone client. So my question-wich webservice to choose when device is lighttpd web server with php v 4.x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.