Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_logo.jpg

Apple today announced financial results for the second calendar quarter and third fiscal quarter of 2011. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $28.57 billion and net quarterly profit of $7.31 billion, or $7.79 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $15.7 billion and net quarterly profit of $3.25 billion, or $3.51 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 41.7 percent, compared to 39.1 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 62 percent of the quarter's revenue. Apple's quarterly profit and revenue were both company records.

Apple shipped 3.95 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, a unit increase of 14 percent over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached 20.34 million, up 142 percent from the year-ago quarter, and the company also sold 7.54 million iPods during the quarter, representing 20 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold 9.25 million iPads during the quarter, up 183 percent over the year-ago quarter.
"We're thrilled to deliver our best quarter ever, with revenue up 82 percent and profits up 125 percent," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Right now, we're very focused and excited about bringing iOS 5 and iCloud to our users this fall."
Apple's guidance for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2011 includes expected revenue of $25 billion and earnings per diluted share of $5.50.

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q3 2011 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Article Link: Apple Reports Record-Breaking Q3 2011: $7.31 Billion Profit on $28.57 Billion in Revenue

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
9.25 million iPads? that's pretty sick. i wonder how many BB PlayBooks were sold last quarter? can we have some Lion meat now?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Good lord... that's verging on unbelievable! :D

Big stand out figure for me is iPad sales. 9.25 million while they're still supply-limited is a hell of a performance, would love to know what that would do to Apple's overall sales ranking if the analysts started counting them like they should do, as computers.

And it's not as if they're slowing down either... that iPhone figure was for a model that's a year old by now so there's a new version to come very soon, iOS 5 and iCloud coming out in September, OS X Lion due very soon (tomorrow I hope), probably revised and improved Air's due very soon... future looks very bright indeed.

Edit Sorry for the edit but just realised this was technically for a quarter that saw, what, new iMac's and that's about it? Every other product I think didn't see a major change in the quarter (please correct me if I'm wrong on that). Granted they were ramping up on iPad 2 but still... There's a part of me that wonders if other smartphone makers are going to look at the iPhone figures and its age and wonder if maybe, just maybe, three to six month product cycles ain't the way to go.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Just for quote:

'iPhone is dead in the water'

I should be saying:

'iPhone spills blood in the water'

------------------------------------------------------------------

$7.79 per diluted share?

WOW! That's > $1 more than the average expectation by amateurs and > $2 more than the average expectation by the pros. This is getting hot.

benthere16

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
Buy now

Why oh why didn't I buy a month ago when shares were trading at $315?

Buy stock now, it's only going up for the foreseeable future. iOS 5, new iPhone and iCloud are going to push Apple through the stratosphere.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Holy sh*t! :eek:

Zdb

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Will I be able to listen to the conference call on my iPhone? Bc my work blocks installing QuickTime

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Yet still the stock will sputter. What happened to the stock the last time Apple announced a barn-burning quarter? Not much.

Apple needs to split the stock and get regular Joes investing in it again - not merely institutional investors who love to play with the buttons and levers.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
International sales accounted for 62 percent of the quarter's revenue!

And one new Apple Store every 50 hours for the next two months... they really are pushing international sales!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.