Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
I recently picked a Pismo up and I'm sort of falling in love with the thing despite having a Macbook that run's circles around it in terms of performance. The design, ergonomics, keyboard, are all really top notch.

One thing that I've noticed is the hard drive is really whiny, so I'm guessing it's on it's way out possibly.

Replacing it with another HDD is an option but used one's are also likely limited in life and new ones are hard to justify the cost for. Realizing that I don't need that much space for what I'll be using it the idea of a 16GB CF card as the boot drive seems tempting. Basically with the adapter + decent speed CF card it would be under $50.

Anyone done it? What adapter did you use? What speed CF card? How did it compare to the hard drive?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
You shouldn't have any problems doing that. Austin Leeds of Low End Mac did exactly that in an old clamshell iBook.

It was 5 part article he wrote, all 5 parts can be found on his index page below.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/leeds/index.html

Part 2 shows which adapter and CF card he used, I think part 4 has speed tests, and part 5 talks about the difference between types of CF cards.

He has also started a new project of putting an SSD in a Pismo, along with other upgrades.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/leeds/11al/pismo-resurrection-1.html

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Wow, great stuff.

Thanks for the links, I've never seen that iBook piece.

Looks like I'll go for it, for $50 it seems pretty well worth it.

Loa

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2003
Québec
Hello,

Sorry for rezzing an oldish thread, bu tI recently did the same thing with a Pismo. If you're still around KurtangleTN, would you mind sharing your results?

Loa

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.