Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaleyeatspaint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Shadyside, PA
My iPhone 3gs 4.3.4 is stuck in a rebooting cycle. It will not load into the home screen or even turn off. I have tried the holding 10 seconds button mashes but nothing is working. Can I restore it using a program or even somehow get it into dfu mode or something? I have a Macbook 10.6.7. I really can't figure it out. If anyone here knows how to fix it, it would be lovely to try out some things! Thanksssss :)

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
this also happened to me but mine was jailbroken on 4.3.3 ...... i couldnt get anything to work and i had to fool around with it a few hours before i finally just restored it to my original firmware. i havent jailbroken it since

cdustybk

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
My iPhone 3gs 4.3.4 is stuck in a rebooting cycle. It will not load into the home screen or even turn off. I have tried the holding 10 seconds button mashes but nothing is working. Can I restore it using a program or even somehow get it into dfu mode or something? I have a Macbook 10.6.7. I really can't figure it out. If anyone here knows how to fix it, it would be lovely to try out some things! Thanksssss :)

If you've jailbroken 4.3.4, it is tethered, meaning you MUST use redsn0w's (or whatever program you used) "just boot tethered for right now" option.

And if you haven't, i would recommend putting your phone in DFU mode and try to reinstall the software.

Hope that helps!

cdustybk

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
If you've jailbroken 4.3.4, it is tethered, meaning you MUST use redsn0w's (or whatever program you used) "just boot tethered for right now" option.

And if you haven't, i would recommend putting your phone in DFU mode and try to reinstall the software.

Also, you must use the "just boot tethered" option every time you wish to power up your phone, if your iDevice on 4.3.4 is jailbroken. No untethered option is available yet.

If you just need to get into DFU mode from the stuck Apple logo, I do the following...

1) Hold Lock button and Home button until screen blacks out
2) Hold the Lock button until the apple logo turns back on
3) Hold both the Lock and Home buttons for about 10 seconds. The screen should black out again.
4) Let go of the Lock button only and hold the home button for about 15-20 seconds. The screen should be black as if it were still off, however it may be in recovery mode (iTunes logo) rather than DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.