Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyeo11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi All

Before I start to write , I hope some one can point to me the best way for me to learn how to develop iphone apps. As I just bought a 2006. Mac book.

Pls provide me the over view .

Paul

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Depends on your skill level. If you have no experience in programming at all then I would start with this book to learn the fundamentals of programming.

http://www.amazon.com/Learn-C-Mac-Dave-Mark/dp/1430218096

If you have some experience in programming and none with Object oriented programming I would start here.

http://www.amazon.com/Objective-C-Absolute-Beginners-iPhone-Programming/dp/1430228326

If you are savvy when it comes to coding Start with Kochans book

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Stephen-Kochan/dp/0321566157/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I started with the last book when I was learning to program and it was to much for me. So I started with the first book and learned the basics first. Then it was easier to grasp the concepts.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Learn how to program first, any programming language. Then study and learn how to design user interfaces.

Both of those are prerequisites for and much harder than learning to write decent iPhone apps.

Paulyeo11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi sir

Many thank for introduce me 3 book from basic to advance. But for the start can you intoduce me some web site where I can download the source code and try. Basically what I need is just to download other people program and modify and make it as mine. As my aim is not to make money from develop app , my aim is just to play around with the software. As I know I am not born to be a smart programmer, So in order to join the fun , I just like to start this way .

So hope you can give me link where people have develop apps and post on the net and I can download and play and modify.

And I believe this will be my hobby during my retirement in future. As I have great passion on programming. Hope you can make my dream come thru. And I will remember forever.

Paul

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
There are plenty of tutorials on the web. Simply google something like "ios development tutorial" and you'll find many good sites on this topic.

If you already have a bit of programming experience, I'd suggest looking for a tutorial for an App which does something similar as the App you want to develop.

BubbaMc

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
Hi sir

Many thank for introduce me 3 book from basic to advance. But for the start can you intoduce me some web site where I can download the source code and try. Basically what I need is just to download other people program and modify and make it as mine.

Go to Itunes U. Download the iOS programming videos from Stamford University. Work through the calculator app (just copy what the guy does, I think it's the 2nd video in the course). Take notes from what he says and add them as comments in your source code.

I've just done this and have learnt a lot.

You will need to go back and study basic programming (I recommend learning object oriented programming right from the start), but this particular tutorial will give you a good starting point and make it clear what areas of study you need to work on.

KillerTree

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I would watch MIT's Intro to Programming course on Youtube and then watch Stanfords Intro to iOS development on itunes or whereever it is. :)

Paulyeo11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Many thank for so Many advise given to me. This is very impt as I can select the tool or method that suit me.

Paul

Paulyeo11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi Bubbamc

Many thank for provide me the Stanford Itune on learn how to develop a cal apps . This is what I need. As the explanation is very clear and most impt the slide are very clear .

A picture is more then 1000 slide

Paul

Paulyeo11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi All

After long delay I manage to start to develop my first app. Which is only one icon and when I press I get to see a screen pop up a massage.

Now I try to create an ipa file thru Xcode 4 . I am unable to make it . Already search the internet for many days still unable to solve it.

As I also download many apps from standford university I try to load the demo code to my iphone and test I also face the same problem on unable to create the ipa file.

Paul

Paulyeo11

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi sir

Just now when I enter plane , I got to see your link , in side the plane I read the whole article and comments, It is a great article , thank for give me the link.

But my problem still not solve I will try google again .

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.