Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramblly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
When I type, the keyboard does not always respond. I can fix it by unplugging the keyboard cord from the computer and then plug it back in. I bought a new keyboard, and the problem is still there. The mouse works, the keyboard works, so what could cause this intermittent problem of the keyboard not responding?

And

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
92 ft above sea level, UK
Have you tried checking the terminals (dirt, plastic, loose) have you blown in the USB ports to see if there's anything obstructing the connection? Have you tried a different USB port? Have you tried a different keyboard in the same port? etc. etc.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
When I type, the keyboard does not always respond. I can fix it by unplugging the keyboard cord from the computer and then plug it back in. I bought a new keyboard, and the problem is still there. The mouse works, the keyboard works, so what could cause this intermittent problem of the keyboard not responding?

This suggests a problem with the USB port on our computer; try plugging the mouse into the USB port that currently has the keyboard plugged in (obviously, take out the keyboard first) - if mouse becomes unresponsive then you know that it's a USB port problem (on your computer), so you could take it to an Apple store - even if you're out of warranty, or don't use that USB port.

If the mouse works fine whilst in the potentially faulty USB port then plug your keyboard into a different USB port, if the problem continues then you know it's not a problems with the ports on your computer. (To verify).

The next stage is to check the keyboard connections for loose wiring, or fraying of the cable - it is possible that you were unlucky twice.

Then, if possible, dual boot with another OS (xp, Windows vista, Windows 7; there a 30 day activation 'trial' with Windows 7, so you don't need to purchase it for this little test; if not, you could use ubuntu), and (using the same USB port) see if the keyboard is still unresponsive. If it is, then it's a problem with your keyboard; if it's fine then it's a problem with the Mac OS X *driver*.

Ramblly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Solution to keyboard does not respond to typing: 8-8-11

This suggests a problem with the USB port on our computer; try plugging the mouse into the USB port that currently has the keyboard plugged in (obviously, take out the keyboard first) - if mouse becomes unresponsive then you know that it's a USB port problem (on your computer), so you could take it to an Apple store - even if you're out of warranty, or don't use that USB port.

If the mouse works fine whilst in the potentially faulty USB port then plug your keyboard into a different USB port, if the problem continues then you know it's not a problems with the ports on your computer. (To verify).

The next stage is to check the keyboard connections for loose wiring, or fraying of the cable - it is possible that you were unlucky twice.

Then, if possible, dual boot with another OS (xp, Windows vista, Windows 7; there a 30 day activation 'trial' with Windows 7, so you don't need to purchase it for this little test; if not, you could use ubuntu), and (using the same USB port) see if the keyboard is still unresponsive. If it is, then it's a problem with your keyboard; if it's fine then it's a problem with the Mac OS X *driver*.

I NOW HAVE THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM OF KEYBOARD DOES NOT RESPOND TO TYPING:

I now have the solution to my problem. The new keyboard did not solve the problem of the keyboard failing to respond to typing. But i was given the solution from another source, and that solution worked The solution is as follows:

_SMC RESET_

Instructions for SMC RESET:

• Shut down the computer.
• Unplug the computer's power cord _and all peripherals_.
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
• Release the power button.
• Attach the computer's power cable.
• Press the power button to turn on the computer.
. Plug all the peripherals back into the computer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.