Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm jumping on board here because I too want to know and have yet to see much about it that tells me it is fully compatible.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Summer NAMM tomorrow....will logic x drop?

I've subscribed to this as i'm not updating unless it works.

Mr Fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Dublin
Logic Pro 8

I can tell you that Logic 8 is not working at all with Lion. I also feel like there won't be any updates to change this. Although I do not see why it should break such a relatively recent Apple application.

I'm not sure now whether to upgrade to 9 or go back down to SL and wait for X ... Since I'm a poor student I think it will have to be the latter ;-(

PRPS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Summer NAMM tomorrow....will logic x drop?

I've subscribed to this as i'm not updating unless it works.

oh wow...i didn't know that. Logic just had a recent update so it's hard to believe they will come out with Logic X this week. Hopefully i'm wrong though hahaha :apple:

Edit: just looked and Apple doesn't have a booth there :/

Last edited:

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
5tg0s4

Logic 9 and 9.1 have never been compelling versions to justify upgrading from Logic 8, but 8 wont open at all in Lion. :mad:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It's a mixed bag of 9.1.4 and Lion. Most of the problems are plugin related and of those most are 64 bit problems. That said, I get the feeling from using it now that Logic does need a compatibility update to better handle coreaudio problems with 3rd party drivers and wonky plugins. In other words something other than crashing out constantly. best advice is to work in 32 bit mode until things get sorted out. Oh, and check for audio interface driver updates. many don't work at the moment.

PRPS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Mac OS X Lion Compatibility Information (UPDATED 7/21/2011)

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ts/detail.php?Index=33622

Answer:
Apple has released Lion — OS X10.7 — and if you're a Mac-head like us, then you can't wait to get it onto your computer and to start using all the cool new features in this ground-breaking operating system!

But a word of caution. Lion is a major update to OS X, and from past experience, we know that there can sometimes be compatibility issues with software and with hardware drivers when an update of this magnitude is released.

We're hard at work sorting out any compatibility issues, and we're collecting all of the information we learn here, on our Lion Compatibility Info page.

We recommend holding off on your Lion upgrade until you are certain that the software and hardware you rely on is 100% compatible. Believe us, we know how hard it is to be patient when there's something this cool waiting for you! But a little patience now will save you headaches in the future.

Since things will change rapidly, check back often for the latest information.

• ABLETON is currently working on a compatibility update to address existing issues with Live in OS X 10.7, which will be coming soon. Until this update is available, they do not recommend updating to Lion.

• Apple Logic Studio (9) and Final Cut Pro X are compatible with Lion. Be sure to download the latest updates for each.

• APOGEE has announced that the following products are compatible with Lion (NOTE, be sure to download the latest drivers from http://www.apogeedigital.com):
Duet 2, GiO, JAM, ONE, Symphony I/O

At this time, Apogee is still developing and testing the following products for Lion compatibility: Duet, Ensemble, and Symphony 64 for X-Series and Rosetta Series converters. Apogee recommends waiting until updates for these products are final before upgrading to Lion.

• AVID: At this time Pro Tools 9 and earlier versions of Pro Tools software are not compatible with OS X Lion. Avid is working directly with Apple in order to establish full compatibility with Pro Tools 9.

• FOCUSRITE is in the process of testing their entire product line for Lion compatibility and do not recommend upgrading yet. However, based on preliminary results, these products appear to work with Lion:

Control 2802
Liquid Channel Control Software
Liquid Mix
Saffire 6 USB
Scarlett 8i6
Scarlett 18i6
VRM Box
Midnight Plug-in Suite

M-AUDIO has announced that the following devices and add-ons are qualified for use on Mac OS X 10.7. Please visit http://www.m-audio/com/drivers to download the latest updates. It is only necessary to install the latest version; DO NOT install previous versions. For users that have upgraded from 10.6, please run the included uninstaller to remove previous M-Audio driver versions before installing the latest version.

Axiom Pro 25/49/61 Firmware Updater
Conectiv*
Fast Track
Fast Track Pro
Fast Track Ultra
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Fast Track USB
KeyStudio 49i
MobilePre MKII
ProFire 610
ProFire 2626
ProKeys Sono 61
ProKeys Sono 88
Pro Tools SE 8.0.3 - Patch 003 required
Venom
Xponent (Note that Torq 2.0 is not qualified for use on 10.7 at this time)

Note: Pro Tools 9, Pro Tools MP9, and Torq 2.0 are not qualified for use with 10.7 at this time.

HyperControl & DirectLink Qualification

DirectLink for Pro Tools SE 8.0.3* - Oxygen (blue) only
HyperControl for Pro Tools SE 8.0.3*
DirectLink for Reason 5.0.1*
HyperControl for Reason 5.0.1*
DirectLink for Record 1.5.1*
HyperControl for Record 1.5.1*

* HyperControl & DirectLink are built into Reason, Record, and Pro Tools SE, there are no separate personality files to install.

Several other M-Audio products are functioning with public beta drivers. You can learn more about these here: http://tinyurl.com/3obpqu2

• MAKEMUSIC has posted that preliminary testing on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) with Finale 2011, Finale 2010, PrintMusic 2011, PrintMusic 2010, SongWriter 2010, NotePad 2011, and NotePad 2010 has indicated no major compatibility issues. However, they did discover some minor problems that users should be aware of. Please review these issues before ugprading to Lion here: http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4448/

• MOTU has approved the current drivers of audio interfaces and MIDI interfaces for use with Mac OSX Lion.

Digital Performer 7.2.3 is not compatible with Lion at this time, but an update to correct this is in development.

MOTU is testing their virtual instruments for compatibility. MOTU suggests waiting to update to Lion until official results are posted.

• NATIVE INSTRUMENTS has discovered an issue where running 64-bit versions of their applications with Mac OS 10.7 will cause a crash. This happens with both stand-alone versions and with plug-in versions. The cause of this issue has been successfully determined, and updates for the affected products are in development, with their releases planned for September or earlier.

In the meantime, users should utilize the 32-bit versions of NI applications, or should consider refraining from updating to Mac OS X 10.7 until the updates are finalized. An article on switching between 32- and 64-bit operation can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/3wcng8r

• PRESONUS will be posting beta drivers for all of their software, interfaces, and mixers in the very near future. We will post here when these are available.

• PROPELLERHEAD has announced that the latest versions of Reason and Record are fully functional with Mac OS 10.7 Lion. At this time, Recycle is not compatible. A beta version will be available soon to registered owners.

• ROLAND, Boss and Edirol products which connectto Macs and use drivers for Mac OSX are compatible with Lion when using the latest Mac OSX drivers. Use the latest drivers for Mac OS 10.6 for Lion (10.7).

The only exception for Roland at this time is the V-Studio 700. Roland is working to update this as quickly as possible.

• STEINBERG is in the process of testing Cubase 6 and their other products with Lion. They recommend waiting to upgrade to Lion until their results are posted.

• VIENNA Symphonic Library is still in the process of testing Vienna Instruments and Vienna Ensemble with Lion. They suggest users wait until testing it complete.

• WAVES Version 8 currently works under OSX Lion with the following hosts:

Logic 9
Cubase 6
GTR Stand Alone
Multirack Native and SG
Main Stage 2.1.3
Wavelab 7.1
Peak 7

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Logic 9.1.4 and Lion

I'm not having any issues here running Lion, Logic 9.1.4, Waves, izotope, EZ Drummer and Native Instrument Plugs.

The first time I ran Logic after the upgrade It did take about 5 minutes to rescan all the AU plugs I use.

makeyourmovenow

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Brisbane Australia
Logic pro 8 will work, but.....

you can use logic pro 8 in osx lion:

1. go to your logic pro application in finder

2. right click and choose 'show package contents"

3. contents -> macOS -> logic pro

Thx go to jaredr for this post on another thread.

The fact that it works this way, shows this is simply APPLE trying to force us to upgrade to 9. Come on guys, i hear you have 96 billion cash flow, don't be so greedy???

Also my Edirol UA-4fx isn't working because the driver isn't up to date now. So no speakers in the studio until this is resolved.

Lesson... don't buy until you know its gonna work!!!

MagicGeoff

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Hopeless

I'm rolling back to Snow Leopeard:

- Logic 9 now can't see my TC Electronic Konnekt 24D sound card
- TC Electronic Soundcard control panel won't load
- SSL Duende Plugins won't load
- Whole system seems less responsive than before

System is i3 iMac...there really shouldn't be any issues.

Apple should not release stuff that only half works for professionals.

(I should probably also have not got over excited and installed it before checking everything would work probably, but there you go)

ravenlynch

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Boise, ID
Did I miss something? I can't believe after all the research and preparations that I did (downloaded compatible drivers, contingency plans, docs handy etc) prior to rolling out Lion, I have found that it is NOT working with Logic 9.1.4.

Has anybody else seen this? This is a serious issue for Logic Studio users as it has been advertised that it would be compatible. The machine I am having trouble with is a 2008 Macbook with 4 gigs, going from 10.6.8 (all software updates were installed, disk verified, etc before install) and I am getting the same exact error msg other people have reported here with 8.0.

Again, this is with 9.1.4!

I can only hope 9.1.5 is coming out in a matter of hours. Fingers are crossed. Thing that I don't understand is how some people ARE able to launch it? This indicates something with the hardware I would assume... perhaps an audio driver? I was using the onboard sound BTW.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
As logic is made by apple, I'm shocked ad saddened they neglected it's audio users by not releasing a stable update or even logic X by now. Apple gave it's video users even a preview months ago, not to mention a stable FCX.

Lots of friends reporting buggy logic with lion. I'm staying on SL for now

dented42ford

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I'm using Logic 9.1.4 with no, as in zero, issues, in a semi-pro environment, in Lion. The Apogee beta 4 drivers for my Symphony I/O are giving me no grief, either - though the Duet (firewire) I have does, so for the moment I'm lugging the I/O back and forth.

What issues are the guys who are having issues having?

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
I have found that it is NOT working with Logic 9.1.4.

Has anybody else seen this?

Again, this is with 9.1.4!

I can only hope 9.1.5 is coming out in a matter of

I am not having the issues you are. However I did somethings different.
One I opened Logic in 32 bit mode and scanned all the AU plugs.
Then I closed and reopened Logic in 64bit mode and rescanned all the AU plugs.

But if I was still having problems I would run Logic in 32 bit mode until the release the fixes.

Or just concede that Lion isn't ready and roll back to Snow and live with it for a few months. Seriously if you are in a pro environment and have to up and working it is a terrible idea to be a early adoptee of anything. Just sayin ya know...

dented42ford

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I am not having the issues you are. However I did somethings different.
One I opened Logic in 32 bit mode and scanned all the AU plugs.
Then I closed and reopened Logic in 64bit mode and rescanned all the AU plugs.

But if I was still having problems I would run Logic in 32 bit mode until the release the fixes.

Or just concede that Lion isn't ready and roll back to Snow and live with it for a few months. Seriously if you are in a pro environment and have to up and working it is a terrible idea to be a early adoptee of anything. Just sayin ya know...

Ah, there's the rub - I only have 4gb of RAM in my MBP, so I always run it in 32 bit mode. Dead stable - actually, slightly more stable than under SL, in my experience.

Why are you running in 64? Honestly, there's not much that takes advantage of it, and the few times I experimented with it I encountered memory management issues galore.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Why are you running in 64? Honestly, there's not much that takes advantage of it, and the few times I experimented with it I encountered memory management issues galore.

More plugins! And I have a lot of Ram that I want to use!<g>

Seriously the only advantage is the access to larger ram blocks for my synths and sampler that need it.

dented42ford

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
More plugins! And I have a lot of Ram that I want to use!<g>

Seriously the only advantage is the access to larger ram blocks for my synths and sampler that need it.

That is understandable - I rarely use soft synths or sequenced samplers. I pretty much do straight audio - and I've had no issues. Haven't tried out Node yet, though - which is something I do use, on complicated mixes...

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
Logic 9.1.4 works on Lion OS X. All my plugins are working so far.

I haven't tested my Access Virus TI yet, because i have it connected to my desktop computer atm which is a PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.