Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Studawg7

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
ok, since this last update I became even more interested in an ipod. so happens with the student discount the late iPod photo 40 Gb is a GREAT deal, especially since you get the dock and cables with it. So I broke down and purchased mine this afternoon!! I can't wait to get it home and charged up!

My question to you all is this: I would like to transfer files with the iPod and use it for music. I know i can do this. However, I will be syncing with my iBook where all my music is but I would also like to get files off of my pc in the lab. Will I be able to do this?

Thanks for your help guys, its always appreciated!

Cheers

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
I actually just order a 40 GB ipod photo with my student discount as well. quite the steal.

I don't think you can do that. The iPod needs to be in FAT or NTFS for the PC to read it. and I am not sure what the iPod will be in. someone else will proabably know.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Format it as FAT32. It will work that way. (May require a restore afterwards, but no big deal)

Then just bring along the cables and you are good to go.

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Studawg7 said:
ok, since this last update I became even more interested in an ipod. so happens with the student discount the late iPod photo 40 Gb is a GREAT deal, especially since you get the dock and cables with it. So I broke down and purchased mine this afternoon!! I can't wait to get it home and charged up!

My question to you all is this: I would like to transfer files with the iPod and use it for music. I know i can do this. However, I will be syncing with my iBook where all my music is but I would also like to get files off of my pc in the lab. Will I be able to do this?

Thanks for your help guys, its always appreciated!

Cheers

There is no 40Gb model....i am guessing you mean 30GB

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Studawg7 said:

Just to clarify what Mehcozmo said, you need to format your iPod as a Windows iPod (FAT32) rather than a Mac iPod. Macs being Macs can read both formats, you won't lose any functionality, and now can use your pod with PC's.

Enjoy your new Photo Pod!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
munkle said:
you won't lose any functionality

True, but as a side note and just to clarify: the Mac formatting is more stable and reliable as a mobile hard drive. Mind you, I don't think there's much in it. It's not like you'll lose data on the iPod. It's just that the thing might crash more easily. Nothing to get worried about though, happens pretty rarely. Enjoy! :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I've had my 3G for nearly two years and have never had any problems with it being formatted as a Windows iPod.

That said, the one drawback is seeing your iPod described as a Windows iPod in the about screen! ;) :p

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
I also bought a 40GB iPod photo on clearance, but not from the education store, though I do qualify for an edu discount. I was under the mistaken impression that clearance discounts and edu discounts are mutually exclusive. I guess not. I'm only out about $30, though.

Studawg7

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
thanks all for the info!! to clarify, yes its the old 40 Gb photo, some of the stores and I think the online apple store have a couple of these left. I picked mine up at my university book store on the cheap. It is a great deal considering the storage space and the accessories.

Cheers

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mad jew said:
True, but as a side note and just to clarify: the Mac formatting is more stable and reliable as a mobile hard drive. Mind you, I don't think there's much in it. It's not like you'll lose data on the iPod. It's just that the thing might crash more easily. Nothing to get worried about though, happens pretty rarely. Enjoy! :)

You can't install OS X onto it. OS X must be installed on a HFS+ volume.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mechcozmo said:
You can't install OS X onto it. OS X must be installed on a HFS+ volume.

Umm... OK, I don't think I explained properly. OSX formats the iPod in a different way to Windows when you first use it. The OSX way is slightly more stable. That is all. ;)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
KC9AIC said:
The iPod hard drive isn't meant for continuous access, anyway.

True.

mad jew said:
Umm... OK, I don't think I explained properly. OSX formats the iPod in a different way to Windows when you first use it. The OSX way is slightly more stable. That is all. ;)

Err, I meant that you can't install OS X onto a FAT32 volume. So if you wanted to have an emergency backup thing, you couldn't. And yes, I know that HFS+ is nicer than FAT32. But thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.