Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacWorld reports on comments by Apple's Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer during Thursday's Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium.

Oppenheimer provides some insight into Apple's recent success and products. According to the Apple executive, there is anecdotal evidence that the 'halo' effect of the iPod bringing more Mac customers does exist, but no hard numbers are available on that topic.

Oppenheimer responded to the question of licensing the Mac OS to other companies by stating they are happen with the company's rate of growth and with no plans to do such licensing. The often discussed topic had recent been raised again with news that PC manufacturers were asking Apple to let them license the Mac OS X operating system.

Other interesting tidbits included:

- Margins on the iPod Shuffle are less than the rest of their iPod models
- Margins of the Mac Mini are on par of the eMac and below their corporate average.
- Oppenheimer felt that most customers would prefer to stream content (ala AirTunes) to their home entertainment systems rather than have a dedicated media center computer.

bhibbert

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2005
Most customers would prefer to stream...

I agree with the streaming but would love to see a real streaming solution from Apple. At the moment the only option is audio only via Airport Express. How about uPNP support in OSX (only available through EyeConnect at the moment). Or what about an Airport Express with DVI or Component Video out?

Until either of those come along although I don't think that Apple has a viable streaming solution.

Comments?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'd like to see an AirMovie technology... I have El Gato's EyeHome, and it works... but it is simply sub-par, in my opinion.

Suburban Trow

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
Wisconsin
No Dedicated Media Center

I don't need a dedicated media center, as long as I have a remote screen for my Mac.

A wireless 'remote control' that has a screen adequate to view iTunes, iPhoto (if we're lucky - even Safari and Mail). I don't want to hijack or have to turn on my TV screen anytime I want to change songs (streaming from iTunes to my Stereo). Assuming one solution would be to add video capabilities to Airport Express or similar to view streamed video / pictures.

My computer is in the den/office on the other side of the house from my entertainment room. Sometime's I am just too lazy to get up and walk there if I want to quick surf the web for some information about the show I am watching (seems to be mostly during football games when I want to check my fantasy team). Likewise, if I am waiting for an email from someone, looking down at a 9 inch screen and poking through a few emails would be nice.

I'm not talking about heavy duty stuff here, just the basics. I don't want to edit movies in Final Cut while sitting on my couch...
:eek:

minesgeek

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
LA
dedication sucks

i am not a big fan of the dedicated computer either. sonos has a pretty cool concept which basically relys on streaming. something that should be incorporated more into an idea for streaming video.

this is also why apple investing in a company using a dedicated unit for video is a bad idea.

~loserman~

macrumors 6502a
Gump said:
I'll give you a Halo effect:

Longhorn will crush Apple in 2006.

Doubtful....

1st. Mac users are the most loyal of all computer users.
2nd. Microsoft's Market share will not increase because of Longhorn. MS's hope is that Longhorn will stop MS's losing of market share to both Apple and Linux.

rtdgoldfish

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Nashville, TN
Gump said:

Riiiiiight....If that happens, I will eat my shoe.

I agree about the streaming content as well. I love my AirPort Express and would buy a new one if it offered streaming video. If they do make a video-streaming APE, they would need a remote to go with it.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
One point on Oppenheimer's remarks. He has changed the projection of 125 stores to the end of the fiscal year from the end of the year as he said in January. The figure of 125 by the end of 2005 has become totally unbelievable and the 125 by the end of September, while much more possible, still represents a slow down of the process of training and construction from job listing to opening. With 102 stores now open and 27 now listed as new locations, it is entirely possible that the 125 figure could be reached by mid-July.

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
When the iPod bubble bursts, or cools, Apple will then license the software it used iPod profits to improve to PC manufacturers. For the meanwhile, they would rather push their hardware, while making PC manufacturers salivate. Or so I think ;)

minesgeek

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2005
LA
yeah, so vid streaming...

i think that video streaming is something that should be on the horizon for apple. vid APE could just be a wireless mirroring of your desktop or extension of its space allowing vid/photo/music control and streaming.

but like someone else stated earlier, the key would be not having to control the music over your tv and not having to control the video with the mouse...but rather with your BT or WiFi iPod or another trick remote like with the sonos.

that would be the best of both a wireless environment and small amounts of hardware...

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
I'm suprised about the eMac-the sales margins of it and the Mac mini are similar-so there must be a faster eMac coming soon.

Good to hear Apple isn't into licensing the Mac OS again.

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
Jacksonville, Fl
If the mac mini has the same margin as the eMac, I wonder why they didn't introduce it sooner? I know it may be "targetted" at PC-switch users, but I think a lot of mac users find it a cool addition to the mac line up.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
You go girl

Gump said:

But first they have to copy tiger.... And what of the rumor saying that MS was not going to complete Fog-Horn-Leg-Horn?

Have to say M$ has been looking pretty lame over the last 2 years. Everybody claiming to have the next iPod killer, and oh yeah, its only a matter of time until WMA/MS takes over and whoops Apple's butt. Where's the beef microsloth?

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
So does this meant that Bill Palmer (http://billpalmer.net/) was right about the mini? Seemed like everyone and their grandmother was going out to buy one, but then I forgot that all I do is hang out in Mac forums.

I really hope things change though -- it's only been little over a month, right?

Fishes,
narco.

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
narco said:
So does this meant that Bill Palmer (http://billpalmer.net/) was right about the mini? Seemed like everyone and their grandmother was going out to buy one, but then I forgot that all I do is hang out in Mac forums.

I really hope things change though -- it's only been little over a month, right?

Fishes,
narco.

I think the problem with the Mini is that it is being sold in stores like CompUSA where you usually don't get the "Apple guy" and end up with a PC only moron of a salesman (this is experience talking here, I was once a computer salesman for Circuit City) who tells you - yeah the price is cheap but you don't get a keyboard/mouse or monitor and you can get this DooDoo brand PC over here with crappy monitor and crappy printer for just $100 more! No mention of OS X superiority, no mention of zero viruses, no mention of iLife, no mention of ease of use, no mention of form factor, elegance, style, and just plain old sensibility in investing in Apple. OK, so I got a little carried away, but you get the picture. :rolleyes:

ipodmann

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2004
I would like to see some break down in regards to that 11% of Windows iPod owners buying Macs according to the wallstreet dude. If 30% of iPod owners are Windows based than that is about 3 million ipods. 11% of that would about 300K units. That would not be enough units sold to increase market share a whole lot. Anybody can help me out on this.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Apple's making a mistake by not leveraging OSX by providing it to the PC platform. Once Longhorn arrives in 2006 or 2007, Windows users will have no reason to switch over, at least not in significant numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.