Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStranger55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Sometimes when I play games in full screen mode, I wanna access the desktop again without exiting the program. In windows I could just press alt-ctrl-del, but I can't find any equivalent in mac os x. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
cmd-tab might allow to reach other applications inside of a game. I've done this before, and it's worked. I don't play too many (full screen) games on my macs, so I don't know what other options there are, once you're already in full screen mode.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
typically it depends on the game more than anything else.

sometimes Command+Tab will work. other times, not.

i know for WoW its Command+M to bring it to windowed mode at least.

keithZworld

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I know its not exactly what you were looking for. But its important to mention that some games are difficult to quit once in fullscreen mode.

ctrl+Q that should do the trick to quit the game from full screen mode, but the game will quit completely.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
A lot of programs use Command+F to to switch to a windowed-mode, then revealing the menu bar so that you can go back to full-screen after doing other things on your Mac. In some cases, the game even pauses when you click away from the windowed version.

rovingcam

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
Exit full screen mode

command shift f will do it and it will also take you into full screen mode, at least from google chrome.

cheers

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
cmd-shift-f

I was stuck in full screen chrome and of course cmd f brings up search so I was happy to stumble across cmd-shift-f in this thread. It worked fine. Of course I could use cmd tab to get to finder windows which would come up in front of the still full screen chrome that had now become my desktop wallpaper. Weird.

The backwards scrolling is weird as well. Before dumping it, I think I'll dust off that magic mouse I have sitting in a drawer and see if Lion makes it more of a pleasure to use than my trusty logitech bluetooth mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.