Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
You must have installed the thing in a room with zero humidity... or perhaps in space.

$135. Going rate seems to be a little more. I just wanted to get rid of it, and to get a profit at all was nice.

Well crap, I may throw mine up on eBay in its current condition. I just took my phone out of it and put it back in the packaging. Just need to cancel my RadTech dock adapter order and find out when the replacement front will be here.

Last edited:

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
LifeProof Cases
CEO STATEMENT: PERMANENT 100% FIX FOR SPEAKERPHONE / FACEBOOK ECHO. We have identified the issue some people have been having (not all) with echo on speakerphone and face time. The cause is a sound seal tolerance around the noise canceling mic. If you are affected please contact http://support.lifeproof.com/ and we will send you a 3-minute kit to install to provide 100% perfection. Gary Rayner - CEO.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I've had this case for 2.5 weeks and my general consensus..... its the best damn case out their on the market, not everyones going to be happy with it like the 2 here ripping a companies 1st case they put out on the market, i say if you can do better do it.
For this companies 1st case its damn near perfect for their selling points.
If this is what the 1st case is like I'm sure with future gadgets it'll only get better.
I've had an otterbox and many other cases for protection starting with the 1st gen iPhone and ive never liked any of them from the beginning, not so with the LifeProof Case as soon as i put it on i thought this was the last company I'm buying my cases from they got me as a repeat customer.
This company just flat out kills all those other companies IMO.

Last edited:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I've had this case for 2.5 weeks and my general consensus..... its the best damn case out their on the market, not everyones going to be happy with it like the 2 here ripping a companies 1st case they put out on the market, i say if you can do better do it.
If this is what the 1st case is like I'm sure with future gadgets it'll only get better.
I've had an otterbox and many other cases for protection starting with the 1st gen iPhone and ive never liked any of them from the beginning, not so with the LifeProof Case as soon as i put it on i thought this was the last company I'm buying my cases from they got me as a repeat customer.

How do they kill other companies?

Their case is cheaply made since due to company posted material you aren't even supposed take it on and off. Let's not forget the fact that it has terrible touchscreen sensitivity due to an excess air pocket, horrible buttons, terrible mute switch that hardly ever triggers on mine, and complete garbage for sound quality in both the ringing and calls department (including speakerphone).

While I like the waterproof ideology, hence the reason I bought the case in the first place and can definitely see promise in what the company has come up with, that doesn't change the fact that their first case is ultimately a failure in my book.

While the Otterbox, Survivor, HC Ballistic, and Seidio Rugged/Convert may not look all that great overall, they will protect my phone from a drop and overall day-to-day life. They may not be waterproof (which is really all the Lifeproof has going for it) but they are all rugged enough to survive some abuse. I personally own them and have used each of them. As for the Lifeproof, it is not rugged at all and already shows signs of wear after using it for only 3 days with zero drops and just living in my pocket.

It is essentially a cheaply made Tupperware container that has a terrible design of the seal upon closer inspection (Why is the gray gasket just sitting there with nothing holding it in?).

As I've stated before, it looks great on paper and the overall profile/look of the case isn't bad at all. Crummy execution and odd design choices (gasket, headphone screw with no anchor, cheap screen protector, hard to press buttons, etc...) make this case a failure. Not only that but as a company, they have had either some terrible luck or, what I suspect, found last minutes problems with their case and had to constantly push release. I don't personally believe for a second that they had manufacturing issues that didn't ultimately result from bad design.

Couple all of this with a Facebook page full of fanboys/fangirls and an almost instant troll of anyone that has anything negative to say about the case and I, as with most other human beings with any common sense would be, am left with an overall bad taste in my mouth.

So I ask again: How do they kill other companies?

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
How do they kill other companies?

Their case is cheaply made since due to company posted material you aren't even supposed take it on and off. Let's not forget the fact that it has terrible touchscreen sensitivity due to an excess air pocket, horrible buttons, terrible mute switch that hardly ever triggers on mine, and complete garbage for sound quality in both the ringing and calls department (including speakerphone).

While I like the waterproof ideology, hence the reason I bought the case in the first place and can definitely see promise in what the company has come up with, that doesn't change the fact that their first case is ultimately a failure in my book.

While the Otterbox, Survivor, HC Ballistic, and Seidio Rugged/Convert may not look all that great overall, they will protect my phone from a drop and overall day-to-day life. They may not be waterproof (which is really all the Lifeproof has going for it) but they are all rugged enough to survive some abuse. I personally own them and have used each of them. As for the Lifeproof, it is not rugged at all and already shows signs of wear after using it for only 3 days with zero drops and just living in my pocket.

It is essentially a cheaply made Tupperware container that has a terrible design of the seal upon closer inspection (Why is the gray gasket just sitting there with nothing holding it in?).

As I've stated before, it looks great on paper and the overall profile/look of the case isn't bad at all. Crummy execution and odd design choices (gasket, headphone screw with no anchor, cheap screen protector, hard to press buttons, etc...) make this case a failure. Not only that but as a company, they have had either some terrible luck or, what I suspect, found last minutes problems with their case and had to constantly push release. I don't personally believe for a second that they had manufacturing issues that didn't ultimately result from bad design.

Couple all of this with a Facebook page full of fanboys/fangirls and an almost instant troll of anyone that has anything negative to say about the case and I, as with most other human beings with any common sense would be, am left with an overall bad taste in my mouth.

So I ask again: How do they kill other companies?

While I agree with some of what you're saying, I have to ask, what are you expecting to hold the gray gasket? My $200 waterproof Canon camera case has the gasket just sitting there, no ratchet straps or zip-ties.

But for the record, the touch screen sensitivity is actually pretty good once you following the 2-second instructions on removing the air pocket. Mine flattened out very quickly and had close-to-original sensitivity but was slightly less sensitive around the raised Home button. My ringer switch worked every time. Yeah, audio quality was degraded but not terrible, especially given the fact that it's in a waterproof case.
You can hear that the aforementioned $200 case created by one of the leading camera companies has muffled sound as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5YpOBMiEs
Yes, I recorded the video.

No, I'm not a fanboy, because my case is on eBay, mainly due to the speakerphone issue, which a 100% fix now exists for. I contemplated keeping it after that but I'm already enjoying watching the bids rise and rise.

I'm also enjoying my Casemate Pop with a naked screen.

We'll see how much I miss it when we pull the boat out again this weekend.

Just saying, after following simple instructions, this case is nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but it's just not worth $70 due to cheap materials.

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
No, I'm not a fanboy, because my case is on eBay, mainly due to the speakerphone issue, which a 100% fix now exists for. I contemplated keeping it after that but I'm already enjoying watching the bids rise and rise.

I'm not closing the door on Lifeproof just yet. It's encouraging to see that they went through the effort in working with case owners on the speakerphone/FaceTime issue... and now offering a free 100% fix. I would sell your current case, and wait till they work out the bugs. Also... a profit is a bonus.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
I'm not closing the door on Lifeproof just yet. It's encouraging to see that they went through the effort in working with case owners on the speakerphone/FaceTime issue... and now offering a free 100% fix. I would sell your current case, and wait till they work out the bugs. Also... a profit is a bonus.

Yeah that's my plan. I hope they still continue to include the headphone adapter, as that was supposed to be a pre-order only thing.

LifeProof has awesome customer service, I will give them that.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
While I agree with some of what you're saying, I have to ask, what are you expecting to hold the gray gasket? My $200 waterproof Canon camera case has the gasket just sitting there, no ratchet straps or zip-ties.

But for the record, the touch screen sensitivity is actually pretty good once you following the 2-second instructions on removing the air pocket. Mine flattened out very quickly and had close-to-original sensitivity but was slightly less sensitive around the raised Home button. My ringer switch worked every time. Yeah, audio quality was degraded but not terrible, especially given the fact that it's in a waterproof case.
You can hear that the aforementioned $200 case created by one of the leading camera companies has muffled sound as well.

Just saying, after following simple instructions, this case is nowhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but it's just not worth $70 due to cheap materials.

My screen never flattened out. There was always a slight gap between the screen protector and the actual screen making it so that typing a text message was difficult without many boo boos. I followed the instructions to the letter. Could be crappy materials got deformed in mail or some other type of error.

My ringer switch doesn't always engage. Almost like it is too big and doesn't grab onto the actual button every time.

The gasket would be fine just laying in there except that it isn't perfectly formed. It is slightly too big. Just a sign of cheap material and an oversight in design.

I would have been ok with the muffled sound and such except that wasn't what was advertised. They advertise that it amplifies the sound and it honestly doesn't, especially when it is face up on my desk. It makes it worse. I had to leave the phone screen down on my desk just to make sure I could hear it ring.

Honestly the only thing the case has going for it is that it is waterproof and it should be advertised as that. It isn't designed to be truly life proof as it is really cheaply made. I just looked again and mine does have multiple permanent scrapes on the back from just being in my pocket for just under 3 days. Terrible case overall and a waste of money.

On another note the Case-mate Pop was actually a surprising case when I got one in the mail a few months back. Basically a thinner Candyshell. Hopefully you got one of the newer ones. The one I received lasted only a couple of weeks before the rubber started to peel and wear out. Good functionality though and they did fix the peeling. I liked that it weighed almost nothing.

If you want a screen protector that is essentially a naked screen, then get one of the Otterbox cases that comes with one of their cases. Seriously better than even my previous favorite PS one. Feels just like a naked screen except it doesn't pick up as many fingerprints. Also it is really thin and fits in even an Incase Slider. Plus it doesn't have a cutout for the front camera but the functionality works flawlessly.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

rapaleeman said:

My screen never flattened out. There was always a slight gap between the screen protector and the actual screen making it so that typing a text message was difficult without many boo boos. I followed the instructions to the letter. Could be crappy materials got deformed in mail or some other type of error.

My ringer switch doesn't always engage. Almost like it is too big and doesn't grab onto the actual button every time.

The gasket would be fine just laying in there except that it isn't perfectly formed. It is slightly too big. Just a sign of cheap material and an oversight in design.

I would have been ok with the muffled sound and such except that wasn't what was advertised. They advertise that it amplifies the sound and it honestly doesn't, especially when it is face up on my desk. It makes it worse. I had to leave the phone screen down on my desk just to make sure I could hear it ring.

Honestly the only thing the case has going for it is that it is waterproof and it should be advertised as that. It isn't designed to be truly life proof as it is really cheaply made. I just looked again and mine does have multiple permanent scrapes on the back from just being in my pocket for just under 3 days. Terrible case overall and a waste of money.

On another note the Case-mate Pop was actually a surprising case when I got one in the mail a few months back. Basically a thinner Candyshell. Hopefully you got one of the newer ones. The one I received lasted only a couple of weeks before the rubber started to peel and wear out. Good functionality though and they did fix the peeling. I liked that it weighed almost nothing.

If you want a screen protector that is essentially a naked screen, then get one of the Otterbox cases that comes with one of their cases. Seriously better than even my previous favorite PS one. Feels just like a naked screen except it doesn't pick up as many fingerprints. Also it is really thin and fits in even an Incase Slider. Plus it doesn't have a cutout for the front camera but the functionality works flawlessly.

The rubber frame is wearing a very little bit. Nothing worth complaining about.
I may have to check out a Coummuter. I liked the one on my Droid Eris.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
The rubber frame is wearing a very little bit. Nothing worth complaining about.
I may have to check out a Coummuter. I liked the one on my Droid Eris.

My wife uses a OB Commuters case. I actually like it better than my defenders case. The screen protector it comes with is a lot clearer than the defender built in screen protector. It wasn't hard to put it on at all... like I said. The steamy shower technique works great to make sure you don't get any dust particles between the iPhone 4 screen and screen protector. After it's applied, you can't even tell that it has a screen protector on it. I do prefer PS screen protectors, but there isn't any thing wrong with the screen protector that is included with the OB commuters case.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
My wife uses a OB Commuters case. I actually like it better than my defenders case. The screen protector it comes with is a lot clearer than the defender built in screen protector. It wasn't hard to put it on at all... like I said. The steamy shower technique works great to make sure you don't get any dust particles between the iPhone 4 screen and screen protector. After it's applied, you can't even tell that it has a screen protector on it. I do prefer PS screen protectors, but there isn't any thing wrong with the screen protector that is included with the OB commuters case.

I'll have to check it out. How much smaller is it compared to a Defender?

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
I'll have to check it out. How much smaller is it compared to a Defender?

I got 2 otterbox commuters 1.White silicone and black hard polycarb and 2. Black silicone with Green hard polycarb if youre interested....

Last edited:

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
The speck toughshell case received a terrible review already about the front camera hole being too small, creating a ring around the photo it takes:

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-SPK-A00...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It also looks like it will have ****ing horrible proximity sensor issues just like the otterbox defender. The defender is a real piece of ****. I took it off after a full year of use and the front bezel has scratches exactly where the hard plastic contacted the screen on the top and bottom front of the phone.

I've switched to the Incipio Delta which is the opposite of the defender. Soft material hugs the phone THEN the hard plastic on the outside. When you drop the defender, the phone slams into the hard plastic. the soft material protects only the hard plastic. Stupid.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
The speck toughshell case received a terrible review already about the front camera hole being too small, creating a ring around the photo it takes:

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-SPK-A00...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It also looks like it will have ****ing horrible proximity sensor issues just like the otterbox defender. The defender is a real piece of ****. I took it off after a full year of use and the front bezel has scratches exactly where the hard plastic contacted the screen on the top and bottom front of the phone.

I've switched to the Incipio Delta which is the opposite of the defender. Soft material hugs the phone THEN the hard plastic on the outside. When you drop the defender, the phone slams into the hard plastic. the soft material protects only the hard plastic. Stupid.

Every time I read people saying the defender scratches the bezel, I always take my defender case off to inspect it. And every time I look... and I look really close, in different angles, and changing lighting reflections... and I still don't see any speck dents or scratches. My iPhone still looks brand new to me, and I've had it since launch day. I see a lot of reviews and threads on this, so I'm not sure why I don't have this issue. I think it might be because I am one of the few that uses the belt clip, and most of the time it's securely clipped on my iPad bag. I never put my iPhone in my pockets. However, I could see how the logic on the plastic potentially scratching the glass. That being said, I like how the commuter case is thinner, and has the soft silicone wrapped around the iPhone. Seems like it would be less of an impact comported to plastic.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
Every time I read people saying the defender scratches the bezel, I always take my defender case off to inspect it. And every time I look... and I look really close, in different angles, and changing lighting reflections... and I still don't see any speck dents or scratches. My iPhone still looks brand new to me, and I've had it since launch day. I see a lot of reviews and threads on this, so I'm not sure why I don't have this issue. I think it might be because I am one of the few that uses the belt clip, and most of the time it's securely clipped on my iPad bag. I never put my iPhone in my pockets. However, I could see how the logic on the plastic potentially scratching the glass. That being said, I like how the commuter case is thinner, and has the soft silicone wrapped around the iPhone. Seems like it would be less of an impact comported to plastic.
It happened to mine as well. I refuse to put a Defender back on my phone.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007

I agree with you 100%, and believe me, I'm no fanboy (I ripped Lifeproof many times on Facebook and here for their delays). I've had 3 versions of the iPhone, and dozens of cases. This is the last case I will be buying for my iPhone 4, and will be the first and only case I buy when I get my iPhone 5 (eventually). This thing is killer. Already have dropped my phone on a subway train, no problem, totally protected, and this is the reason I wanted the case. For protection. Plus it's sleek enough, and well as, my screen is strating to fit flat against the screen, hence no air bubbles. I love this case.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I've been reading that they had a few updates for the speakerphone and rainbow effect issues. If you receive a case without the updates, they said to contact customer service, and they will send the updates free. So far like how they respond to issues, and treat their customers. I didn't cancel my pre-order just to see how they deal with the reported issues. I got an email last week that they are sending links this week. I still might give this case a chance.

Sonic04GT

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
South Florida
I've been reading that they had a few updates for the speakerphone and rainbow effect issues. If you receive a case without the updates, they said to contact customer service, and they will send the updates free. So far like how they respond to issues, and treat their customers. I didn't cancel my pre-order just to see how they deal with the reported issues. I got an email last week that they are sending links this week. I still might give this case a chance.

Give it a shot. If you don't like it, return it or sell it. It was nice jamming to Pandora in the shower for a few days ;)

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

To the person asking about otter box commuter: it's great, I had defender, it was way to bulky. The commuter has good protection, with a naked screen(comes with a screen protector tho) and has the rubber cover with hard plastic to go over it. Also covers over charging area and headphone jack.

beefish

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
So Cal
Disappointed

I have been using my Lifeproof iPhone case for about three weeks now and I can say that I am really disappointed. :( here is why
1. The screen protecter is highly reflective and it is so thick that it creates an unusable haze in the sun (crystal clear inside when held at the right angle to the light). I cannot use it outside and inside you have to hold it just perfectly to avoid the reflection of indoor lights. Outside it looks as if something created a hazy film on the inside so tonight I went to clean it inside just to see (it was not hazy or dirty on the screen inside) and.....
2. The camera lens fell out while I was cleaning the case (I was cleaning it exactly as the instructions and the video instruct). I have installed the lens back into the case and the case back on the iPhone, but it doesn't look waterproof to me anymore. I will be contacting the company tomorrow.
3. The screen protector is heavily scratched after only three weeks use! I can only imagine what it may look like after several months.....unusable.
4. The screen protector is elevated off the the iPhone screen (which is a good design) however it does come in contact with the screen at random places and it creates a bubble look to the screen.
5. The echo while using the phone is so bad that I have to turn it down to the point where I cannot hear the caller talking but if I have it loud enough to hear the caller than the echo is so bad for the caller they cannot concentrate. I have seen this problem with the Otterbox but not nearly this bad!
6. You MUST use only the Original Apple iPhone 4 cord with it or buy the "Dock Extender" because the hole the cord fits into is so small it will not fit most (none of mine) aftermarket or POST iPhone 4 cords. (none that I have)
now for the good....:)
1. It is waterproof when new. I tested it.
2. I believe it to be rugged enough to take a hit from a fall. It is very protective on the corners and the screen protector is heavy duty.
3. It is lighter than the Otterbox I had.

Update:
August 17 2011
Contacted Lifeproof on August 11 about the Lens falling out, the echo, etc.... and I received this Auto Reply
"Thank you for emailing LifeSupport. Your email has been received by a LifeSupport Member and has been escalated to one of our LifeSupport Specialists for further review. When our LifeSupport Specialist is done reviewing your email they will contact you to help you resolve your issue effectively."
I have emailed them again since and have not heard back from them yet. This is August 17th. This is customer service?

UPDATE:
On August 24th I emailed all three email addresses I could find on the LifeProof website and within hours I received this rely: " We can certainly resolve this for you. An RMA will be issued and we will send you a new case. Please note a prepaid label will be e-mailed to you. When you receive your replacement send the old case back to be inspected Attn: XXXXX XXXX. Thank you for your patience with this matter and allowing us to keep you LifeProof'd.
Kind Regards,
XXXXX X.
LifeSupport Team"
So it sounds promising I will let you know what happens.
I am looking forward to receiving a different one because as I said before overall the case seems to be a good protective one and I hope my issues are resolved.

Last edited:

squawkmonkey

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Miami, FL
Totally digging the case

I have to chime in here -- even being the forum newb but my wife and I have had a slew of cases and so has she. My favorite of all time (for the iPhone 4) was the Incipio slider as it has taken more punishment for such a basic case, I'm stoked. But the Lifeproof is my new fave.

People are always going to have their likes and dislikes but for me it's a MUST HAVE. Here in South Florida it rains daily at 3pm during the summer. You can set your watch to it! If I ride my motorcycle to work, I hate having to carry around a ziplock bag in case I get stuck in a downpour. Even then I would worry. I also have 3 kids that are bonkers! My youngest likes to pick up my iPhone with her gnarly little fingers covered with sticky candy goo or boogers, or whatnot. Now I'm not worried.

Under My Life on their site, they list 6 "lifestyles": young families, fitness enthusiasts, road warriors, outdoor adventurers, dirty job workers, and accident prone.

I fall into 3 of those categories of young family, road warrior, and accident prone! I never could rely on my Otterbox Defender or my Ballistic HC to give total protection. Sure I could toss the Otterbox down the street and my phone would probably survive but when I drop tested my Ballistic, I got a "No sim" error. The waterproof thing seals the deal for me.

I guess that's a long winded way of saying "Lifeproof might not be for everyone". I can make a sacrifice here and there for all-around protection. Raised screen...Eh...I deal with it. Glare/newtown rings -- anti glare protector on the naked phone. "cheaply made", I doubt that. Apple only for the charging port? Sure, I'll get the adapter so I can use it with my car radio. And I've yet to get a muffled sound or proximity issues. Those are small sacrifices to not worry if I get soaked on the ride home, if my daughter sticks it in a cupcake, or if it takes a leap from my pocket.

I dunno...Maybe I'm weird but I think it's the slickest thing out lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.