Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
The only differences in the new 13" and the 2010 Ultimate 13" are the i7 Processor (clocked at a slower frequency), the non-dedicated Intel Integrated 3000 graphics which is sub-par with the 320M (and takes away from your 4GB of RAM), Thunderbolt Port (aren't too many Thunderbolt devices as of now), and the nifty backlit keyboard that you would only use in a dark room or at night.

Everything else on the 2010 models is the same, and some of the specs (such as the graphics card) are even better. Mine has 4GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, webcam, and 1440x900 resolution (same display) as well.

So basically the three things you would trading up to with the new models are a beefier Sandy Bridge processor, Thunderbolt Port, and a Backlit keyboard (and that is it).

Anyways, congratulations on your purchase and enjoy your new MBA!

Don't forget the bluetooth 4.0 ;)

jabooth

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2006
England
Just again on the fan noise question, can people with the 13" i7 confirm how flash affects things? Mainly, do 1080p youtube vids cause the fan to spin up or not?

This is my final concern - if it keeps cool and quiet, then I'm ordering one (will be a nice update from my Early 2008 MBP :))

Frostywinter

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
From the SSD stats as requested..

APPLE SSD TS256C:

Capacity: 251 GB (251,000,193,024 bytes)
Model: APPLE SSD TS256C
Revision: CJAA0201
Serial Number:
Native Command Queuing: No
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: Yes
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
disk0s1:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s1
Content: EFI
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 250.14 GB (250,140,434,432 bytes)
Available: 230.78 GB (230,779,432,960 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /
Content: Apple_HFS
Recovery HD:
Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s3
Content: Apple_Boot

Last edited:

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
Will I notice the difference in the i5 vs i7?

I am going to get 256gb no matter what, but I am either going to the store to get the 256gb i5...or waiting till next week for 256gb i7.

I am going to use this for email, internet, school work, projects, no heavy gaming, light imovie occasionally, and videos online.

What difference will the i7 make compared to the i5?

CP1091

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007

I am going to get 256gb no matter what, but I am either going to the store to get the 256gb i5...or waiting till next week for 256gb i7.

I am going to use this for email, internet, school work, projects, no heavy gaming, light imovie occasionally, and videos online.

Trying to decide the same thing.

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Frostywinter, can you . . .

The benefits of being the first.

There is a lot of chatter about Hyperthreading and and Turbo Boosting. A few pictures are are being posted in various places that seem to make it clear that some models (yours is the i7, so maybe the i5 does not have it) have Hyperthreading.

The only app that I know that could confirm Turbo Boosting in OS X is http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html. Can you download and run it, and run something stressful (like Seti, Handbrake, the command openssl speed, etc) to see if the cpus clock speeds vary?

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The only app that I know that could confirm Turbo Boosting in OS X is http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html. Can you download and run it, and run something stressful (like Seti, Handbrake, the command openssl speed, etc) to see if the cpus clock speeds vary?

Handbrake can saturate 6 cores on my 8-way MacPro. I'm pretty sure that with both cores in the Air saturated, TurboBoost would be disabled.

You'd need an app that only loads down one thread really heavily. The OpenSSL command has the best chance of doing that.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
finally got through the migration assistant (after 3 hours...) and man Lion is awesome, and this computer is great. Definitely liking the keyboard, I never knew how much I would like the backlight. And the scrolling is now so intuitive, it's almost hard to believe that I did it any other way.

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Good point, Krevnik. I sold my only (older) Mac a bit ago in preparation for buying a new one, so I cannot try this--but does Handbrake give you the option of only using one "cpu"?

It is strange. Apple could clearly have disabled Turbo Boosting for what they consider thermal considerations (although, I have to believe Intel would have had a lot to say about that). Or maybe Apple got chips for a great price that had the logic for Boosting disabled . . . I have no idea. But many, many people are inferring from the Intel specs, Geekbench stats, Apple not mentioning it on their site, and some Mac Genius responses . . . and it is just not clear to me.

At the end of the day, I do understand that it does not actually matter whether or not Turbo Boosting is enabled if the machine can do what I want/need it to do. But I would still like to definitively know before I buy one (which should be as soon as Amazon has them in stock).

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Enjoy your sandy Bridge. IVY bridge is coming. Wait, I am waiting for Haswell.

tranmillitary

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Enjoy your sandy Bridge. IVY bridge is coming. Wait, I am waiting for Haswell.

this just came out... ivy bridge isn't even made yet... the 6 and 8 core sandy bridges are coming out first.

why do people always say dumb things like this. wait for something that hasn't even been made yet. Well might as well wait for 2013 super bridge then... why not wait for the 10 core 2014 ultra bridge too while we're at it...

i'm waiting for a new apple cinema display 40 inch 5000x3000 super ips too...

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
Sdxc

Also expecting SDXC card slot on the 13" --

I have a 13" 2010 MBA and it reads my Transcend 64GB Class 10 SDXC card just fine. Apple may not explicitly say the 13" MBA supports SDXC, but I've had no problems, and I would be shocked if that capability were now absent on the 2011 revision.

AvengerZero

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
Seeing as I am crazy I started thinking about selling my 2010 13" MBA for a 2011 13" MBA. Is it worth it?

Are you happy with your current setup? is it snappy enough for your daily tasks? If both answers are yes (and to be true, if your not big in PS or music-business both answers should be yes) keep your current setup. I buyed my AIR in April and I knowed that a succesor will soon arrive. Today I installed Lion and everything runs great. A new generation is always nice, keeps technology up but it doesn't mean your and my 2010 Airs with Core 2 Duo are crap. I use it only for coding, iTunes, websurfing and writing. All fine, only the backlight-keyboard would be nice. :)

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

You won't notice it.

Lord Appleseed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2010
Apple Manor
Are you happy with your current setup? is it snappy enough for your daily tasks? If both answers are yes (and to be true, if your not big in PS or music-business both answers should be yes) keep your current setup. I buyed my AIR in April and I knowed that a succesor will soon arrive. Today I installed Lion and everything runs great. A new generation is always nice, keeps technology up but it doesn't mean your and my 2010 Airs with Core 2 Duo are crap. I use it only for coding, iTunes, websurfing and writing. All fine, only the backlight-keyboard would be nice. :)

Well I noticed that Launchpad fade in / fade out is sometimes sluggish. Doesn't go away with reinstalling or any other way.
I use my MBA mainly for Websurfing, Skyping, light image editing, and Movies.

My main idea was that i either pay 250€ for apple care or sell my MBA and use the money for a new MBA.

drubie

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Well I noticed that Launchpad fade in / fade out is sometimes sluggish. Doesn't go away with reinstalling or any other way.
I use my MBA mainly for Websurfing, Skyping, light image editing, and Movies.

My main idea was that i either pay 250€ for apple care or sell my MBA and use the money for a new MBA.

Since you are about to spend 250euro, I say save the 250, sell your existing and get the latest.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
The only differences in the new 13" and the 2010 Ultimate 13" are the i7 Processor (clocked at a slower frequency), the non-dedicated Intel Integrated 3000 graphics which is sub-par with the 320M (and takes away from your 4GB of RAM), Thunderbolt Port (aren't too many Thunderbolt devices as of now), and the nifty backlit keyboard that you would only use in a dark room or at night.

Everything else on the 2010 models is the same, and some of the specs (such as the graphics card) are even better. Mine has 4GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, webcam, and 1440x900 resolution (same display) as well.

So basically the three things you would trading up to with the new models are a beefier Sandy Bridge processor, Thunderbolt Port, and a Backlit keyboard (and that is it).

Anyways, congratulations on your purchase and enjoy your new MBA!

Harsh but true. I wonder what it says about me that the only one of the three that makes me even slightly lean towards the 2011 vs the 2010 is the backlit keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.