Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
I have an iBook and I would like to use it as an in-car DVD player for my kids when we take long trips.
I'm concerned about damage to the HD from the bouncing of the car. With all the talk about putting Mac Minis in cars, I was wondering if anybody had an idea as to whether this would be a problem. I know it's hard to replace the HD in a Mini, and a nightmare in the iBook so I would hate to ruin it bby doing this.

TIA,
Rob

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I've done work on my PB in a car for 3+ hours. So I wouldn't worry about any of that unless they're playing hot potato with your iBook. If you don't have a car power adapter already you should pick up one.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I have used my Ibook on various car rides and plane flights (some with lots of turbulance) and it has always been fine. An iBook is meant to handle the light bumpyness of a car so that is fine.

Heck I have even dropped my iBook from about 4 feet on to a hard floor and it was still fine. These things are VERY durable!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just put in on something hard which conducts heat (like a baking pan, etc) and put that on something soft that reduces vibration (foam, pillow, etc). Whatever else you do, make sure it's secured so hard braking/acceleration/turning (never know when evasive maneuvers will be required, no matter how you drive) won't throw it around.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
jsw said:
Just put in on something hard which conducts heat (like a baking pan, etc) and put that on something soft that reduces vibration (foam, pillow, etc). Whatever else you do, make sure it's secured so hard braking/acceleration/turning (never know when evasive maneuvers will be required, no matter how you drive) won't throw it around.
You'll be fine. Just don't go off-roading ;)

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
crees! said:
I've done work on my PB in a car for 3+ hours. So I wouldn't worry about any of that unless they're playing hot potato with your iBook. If you don't have a car power adapter already you should pick up one.

where can you get one?

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
jsw said:
But it might get exceedingly hot if you rest it on a pillow (like a 600m). it needs to air out. i had a sony dvd player stacked in a communications closet, and the heat from the other players basically made the sony dvd player useless...it could play for 30-60 minutes, but after that it started to get jumpy.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Thank everybody.

You have allayed my concerns. I was originally cautious because the manual says to put it to sleep when ever you move it. Now, I still walk from room to room with it on, but I didn't know about bumping it around over the highway during a road trip.
I definitely will look at getting a car adapter.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.