Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwkitche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Kentucky
Just got the i7 Air and the fan came on immediately. Loud and continuous. I have an 11 inch (prior model) that is dead silent. Also, my Macbook Pro (2010 17 inch) is dead silent.

Is this a known issue with the air or is something wrong?

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
When I installed Lion yesterday the fans kicked on like crazy. Normally they only ever ran when I watched HD video via Youtube, iTunes, Hulu etc. With the lone exception being Amazon's video on demand service which never kicked on the fans. Apparently the fans had come on due to the indexing. Once that was completed, the fans are now seemingly back to normal but they do come on sooner than before when watching videos. But this probably has something to do with Apple's childish treatment of Flash in Lion. When your fans are on high like that, go into the activity monitor and see which program is using the most resources.

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
Have any other i7 buyers had problems with this?

really need some help here

Thanks,
Swayne

plesset

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2004
My 11 inch i7 is all fan all the time. Uh oh. Cupertino, I think we have a problem.

FusionZero

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
Higher CPU = more heat generated = more fans.

I would be interested to see what everyone is using to do that. Like most I bet you're watching flash video's.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I am so much more comfortable with my slightly slower but quieter than a mouse i5 MacBook Air now. Maybe they'll find a firmware update, but I'm pleased enough with the i5 to not want to upgrade.

mitup

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Copenhagen
This thread is making me anxious about my i7 13", due to be delivered on August 4th :/ I had planned to underclock it but apparently Coolbook doesn't support SB.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Just got the i7 Air and the fan came on immediately. Loud and continuous. I have an 11 inch (prior model) that is dead silent. Also, my Macbook Pro (2010 17 inch) is dead silent.

Processes that are using a lot of the processor are what causes heat buildup which is what causes the fan to run.

Anytime that happens, you can launch the Activity Monitor program, set it to show "All Processes", then sort it by the "% CPU" column. Simply look for the processes using the most CPU (as that's what's generating the heat).

The first time you turn on a Mac (or upgrade an existing Mac to a new OS), Spotlight runs and indexes the drive. You won't see this process running in your Dock, but it can generate some heat, and take awhile to finish. So that might have been it.

Either way, reboot your new Air, and if the fan starts running again, try the Activity Monitor thing and see what process is causing it.

Something else you can do, if you don't want to wait for the fans to come on, is start the Activity Monitor application, then going into View > Dock Icon > Show CPU History. Then down on your Dock, you'll have a graph always showing you how busy your CPU is. Anytime it spikes (like in the example below), you can double-click on the Dock icon and see what's going on.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 259

eeptman

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I got mine 13" i7 today from Apple Store. So far so good.

My MBA stays around 45~52 C, but 7x~93 C while importing an movie into iMovie and the fan will start spinning to 6xxx rpm. However, it cools down to 4x C as quickly as job be done in 10 secs. The cooling system is efficient in this generation.

Last edited:

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Open Activity Monitor (in Utilities folder) and select "All Processes" instead of "My Processes" in the toolbar. Then, sort by % CPU descending. I'd hazard a guess it's mdworker indexing for Spotlight.

jwkitche

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Kentucky
Dropbox is syncing (for the first time on this machine) and using 40-115% CPU. kernel_task is using 11-20%.

Interesting that the fan quieted down when I unplugged the machine.

It is not a "deal-breaker" for the new MBA but just a surprise since I have not heard much fan noise since my first generation Air.

It is warm but not scorching. Certainly better than prior Pros and the first generation Air.

halledise

macrumors 68000

as already mentioned it's probably indexing or whatever, though it does seem unusual.

you could try resetting the SMC first

and then maybe run this sequence in Terminal, one line at a time:

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Just purchased the 13" ultimate. I'll be testing this out. If it gets hot or too loud I'll be exchanging for i5. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.