Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced today that more than 1 million copies of OS X Lion have been downloaded from the Mac App Store worldwide in the day it has been available. Apple notes users are buying Lion faster than any other OS release in Apple's history.

1102lion_missioncontrol-500x309.jpg

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller:
Lion is off to a great start, user reviews and industry reaction have been fantastic. Lion is a huge step forward, it's not only packed with innovative features but it's incredibly easy for users to update their Macs to the best OS we've ever made.
At 3.7GB per download, this totals more than 3.5 petabytes of data -- 3,700,000 gigabytes.

Article Link: One Million Copies of Lion Bought From Mac App Store

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Can't wait for my 13" MBA to get here... Had to cancel my order twice for dumb reasons, and it looks like it'll get here on Monday even with overnight shipping.

Disliking all of you that got yours already :mad:

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Hm... Recalculating

42 gigabytes per second
342 gigabits per second

Impressive.

cozmot

Mar 16, 2008
Washington, DC
Can't wait for my 13" MBA to get here... Had to cancel my order twice for dumb reasons, and it looks like it'll get here on Monday even with overnight shipping.

Disliking all of you that got yours already :mad:

Just ordered my 13" MBA. I'll et that be my Lion lab, as I don't want to experiment on my iMac since I'm reading mixed reviews.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
why torrent it?
Cheaper than driving all the way to an Apple store to test drive it. Even then I doubt they would let you stick around for a week in the store.

you're probably going to run into trouble updating it anyway
Why is that? I do not condone it but if it passes hash checks, it is legitimate. How about a public beta next time? Oh wait this is Apple.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Lion is the first piece of software that i actually bought legally, i mean seriously a whole operating system for 30$? why torrent it? you're probably going to run into trouble updating it anyway

I downloaded the image so I would have a bootable DVD for clean installs. I bought it from the App Store also.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Just ordered my 13" MBA. I'll et that be my Lion lab, as I don't want to experiment on my iMac since I'm reading mixed reviews.

I think with major changes there will always be mixed reviews.

People liking/disliking the addition of new features.
People liking/disliking the removal of old features.
People who plain liking/disliking change.
People liking/disliking because they like/dislike :apple:.

luckystar101

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2009
Adobe Suite dosen't work on this new GREAT OS. I work with my mac I don't play like with iPad so I don't install it. That's all from me.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
So that's $30 million in one day, or around $21 million after Apple takes their cut .... wait a second ...

BitterMelon

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
3.5 PB of data is impressive. But it also means $30,000,000 in sales. That's not bad either.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Why is that? I do not condone it but if it passes hash checks, it is legitimate. How about a public beta next time? Oh wait this is Apple.
Poor choice of words there, it can never be legitimate when you download Lion as a torrent.
But, it'll patch, Apple isn't as big activation freaks as MS are.

_Matt

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2005
It's also the fastest that I've been able to upgrade every computer for myself, my parents, and my girlfriend.

We are all really enjoying Lion so far. My parents are really excited by inertial scrolling and two-finger swipe forward and back in Safari. And that's saying something. ;)

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
3.5 PB of data is impressive. But it also means $30,000,000 in sales. That's not bad either.

It's even more than that, considering they use somewhat shaky currency conversion rates meaning it costs more than 30 bucks in most non-US countries.

Still, with earnings of $7.3bn per quarter, this will barely be noticed :)

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Adobe Suite dosen't work on this new GREAT OS. I work with my mac I don't play like with iPad so I don't install it. That's all from me.

Never update your OS on day-one for a machine that is critical to your business workflow. This rule stands for every OS!

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Lion is the first piece of software that i actually bought legally, i mean seriously a whole operating system for 30$? why torrent it? you're probably going to run into trouble updating it anyway

A whole new OS? your kidding right?
It's a slower Snow Leopard with "NEW" WALLPAPER and "NEW" HORRIBLE Exposè.
Come on guys this is Apple Vista, it must be free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.