Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just like early reports on the new MacBook Air released yesterday, the new Mac mini is also showing significant improvements in raw performance over its predecessor machines. Mac mini web hosting company Macminicolo.net has obtained both standard and server models of the new line and put them through some preliminary benchmarking using Geekbench.

mac_mini_2011_geekbench1.jpg

The testing reveals significant performance improvements for the Mac mini, with the entry-level 2.3 GHz Core i5 model showing an over 50% jump in Geekbench scoring over earlier generations and the 2.0 GHz Core i7 server model showing even more impressive results with its Geekbench score coming in at well over double that of its predecessor.

As we noted on yesterday's MacBook Air report, Geekbench focuses on raw processor and memory performance, and real-world performance will also depend on other aspects of a system including graphics capabilities and data storage components.

mac_mini_2011_unbox.jpg

The report also offers a few unboxing photos and some shots of the initial setup process in which the Mac mini server model offers to migrate from an existing server setup. Also noted is the fact that the server edition includes iLife apps, as the server portion of Lion is simply an add-on for the basic OS X Lion. Under Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife apps were not included on server machines.

Article Link: New Mac Mini Benchmarks Show Significant Performance Gains

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Why not use xbench? That does score based on graphics, everything else. Hopefully that would give you some more accurate comparisons.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I wish they would add a hard drive based terrabyte option for the non-server based mini's.

Tony

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
Why not use xbench? That does score based on graphics, everything else. Hopefully that would give you some more accurate comparisons.

XBench hasn't been updated since 2006, and doesn't have a good reputation for accuracy.

I wish they would add a hard drive based terrabyte option for the non-server based mini's

I wish they didn't require you to purchase the server model with two hard drives. If I bought this machine (it's the highest end model afterall) I would have little interest in the bundled options, and the fact you have to purchase it with two bundled drives just makes it worse.

Archeus999

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8K2)

Lion does not support Word/Excel for Mac? Right?

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008

I agree. While Geekbench is useful sometimes, it doesn't really give you the whole picture.

And, as with any synthetic benchmarks, it doesn't give you the real world performance indicators.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Come on Apple, at least give the low-end the DVD drive so people can get a good HTPC setup for cheap!
...Then again, that would hurt Apple TV sales.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
My parents wanted a replacement for their older PC that died. I suggested the Mac Mini and they waited, but the new ones don't have a disc drive which they need. I like the specs but am not sure if they'll spend an extra $80 for the drive. It looks really sleek though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.