Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Looking for an app that will track my car routes driving around town and for my job. Trying to figure out which ways are consistently the fastest. I don't need to take pictures or any other fluff. I just want to easily record and compare times and routes. Battery life isn't important as I can charge in the car. It does need to work in the background though, I talk on the phone a lot while driving. I'm using a VZ iPhone 4 if it matters.

Anybody recommend an app like this? What is it and how/why do you use it? Thanks!

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
Looking for an app that will track my car routes driving around town and for my job. Trying to figure out which ways are consistently the fastest. I don't need to take pictures or any other fluff. I just want to easily record and compare times and routes. Battery life isn't important as I can charge in the car. It does need to work in the background though, I talk on the phone a lot while driving. I'm using a VZ iPhone 4 if it matters.

Anybody recommend an app like this? What is it and how/why do you use it? Thanks!

May be extra mile app is something that you are looking for

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/extra-mile/id439589978?mt=8

Track and trace your trip
Log gas expenses, distance
Analyze how you drive
Works in background

More features coming soon.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Thanks for the tip. I tried it but not sure it does what I want. It didn't track my route on a map. Isn't it supposed to? I'd love some instructions on how to work it. It doesn't feel very intuitive to use, especially while driving!

soch

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
portland
Thanks for the tip. I tried it but not sure it does what I want. It didn't track my route on a map. Isn't it supposed to? I'd love some instructions on how to work it. It doesn't feel very intuitive to use, especially while driving!

Tap Map tab on the bottom & tap the Trace button.

It draws a red line tracing were you had been.

But to trace you need to tap the Start button on the Fuel Meter tab section similar to starting your car.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Tap Map tab on the bottom & tap the Trace button.

It draws a red line tracing were you had been.

But to trace you need to tap the Start button on the Fuel Meter tab section similar to starting your car.

Tried it again tonight and still no map trace.:confused:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Forgive me if I'm wrong but..

Sounds like you want to track somebody.

If it were you, you would know where you were going already.

Forgiven. I'm not looking for directions, the destinations don't change, the routes do. Besides, there's plenty of apps like Find My Phone and Latitude that can track people already.

Don't you ever wander which way is consistently the fastest? I do. I have multiple routes I can travel to get just about anywhere. I can either have another driver always take an alternate route from me, or I could use an app which catalogs and compares them for you. I think the app would be much easier. :)

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Forgiven. I'm not looking for directions, the destinations don't change, the routes do. Besides, there's plenty of apps like Find My Phone and Latitude that can track people already.

Don't you ever wander which way is consistently the fastest? I do. I have multiple routes I can travel to get just about anywhere. I can either have another driver always take an alternate route from me, or I could use an app which catalogs and compares them for you. I think the app would be much easier. :)

I see.
Well, I use Navigon a lot and I seem to recall a feature where it "Learns" your preferred rout.

But I don't think it catalogs it.

Maybe check the Nike GPS running App and try to trick it.

Or maybe an app like "Trapster"

I don't know. I think you have a unique need.

Good luck though

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I see.
Well, I use Navigon a lot and I seem to recall a feature where it "Learns" your preferred rout.

But I don't think it catalogs it.

Maybe check the Nike GPS running App and try to trick it.

Or maybe an app like "Trapster"

I don't know. I think you have a unique need.

Good luck though

Huh. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm surprised there's nothing like this in the store. I've lived in several places and "what's the quickest way to get..." was not only a popular question, but a popular discussion. Seems like everybody's always got their secret way to shave a few minutes off a typical commute and they're usually excited to share it. Ah well. Maybe I need to develop my own app! :p

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Just wanted to follow up with this thread. Runkeeper is that app I've been using for this. It's designed for exercise but works over longer distances and times. Tracks my routes on a map, shows speed over bar graphs, keeps a record of my travels and lets me jot down notes at the end like traffic conditions, etc. It's saved me a lot of time and guesswork. FYI. Carry on. :)

christinefm

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I think your need is not unique and not odd. I have the same exact need and can't believe it's been so hard to find an app to do this! I'll try the runtracker. Thx! If I find anything else, I'll update.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I think your need is not unique and not odd. I have the same exact need and can't believe it's been so hard to find an app to do this! I'll try the runtracker. Thx! If I find anything else, I'll update.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I use the Runkeeper app all the time! Not its intended purpose but it works great. Let me know if you find something better, but 6 months on, I find it works perfectly for my needs.

jlo001

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Try Motion X GPS. I'm pretty sure it will do what you want.

Thanks for taking the time to add your comment. Just what i need.

Collections and drops offs of my child to the mental ex need to be recorded for court evidence if she starts lying again....

Hoorah to GPS and technology.

PS Motion X GPS seems to be the one so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.