Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Hi,

I'm considering the cheapest new Mini to run Logitech Squeezebox Server. That would be the sole purpose of this box, I may run iTunes on it, eventually.

With that information, is 2GB going to be enough? Squeezebox Server is not extremely RAM intensive (AFAIK), but I'm not sure how much of a hog Lion is.

Would this be a good upgrade option? http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Modu...=UTF8&coliid=IL1FQUIAECHXT&colid=6BES1759T2F4

8GB would be overkill. I won't even be surfing on this machine.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
servers generally could use the larger amounts of RAM, 2GB is good for single users. I'm not sure much about what a Squeezebox Server is, but 8GB is what I needed for hard core virtual machining so I would recommend it.

You may want to invest in 1333Mhz RAM instead, that is what the new mac mini is capable of, and although it costs more, you will get to use the new mac mini's full potential, rather then limiting it with slower RAM, they upgraded the RAM speed because of the new faster processor.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Logitech's Squeezebox Server is not really a client based model like what you're used to. It is a software for streaming to music devices within your LAN. It doesn't need virtualization, etc. However, it is taxing the 1.2Ghz, non-floating point CPU w/512Mb of RAM that is on the Sheevaplug I run it on currently.

Good point about the 1333Mhz RAM. I can't seem to find a decent price on PC3-8500 1333Mhz RAM, does anyone know where I can get it for a reasonable price?

Last edited:

ralnar

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Isn't 8 GB a no-brainer if you are going to upgrade? Price diff of $30 to a 4 GB kit.

THF

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
If I generally use a Mac Mini for basic tasks (surfing, streaming video, music, photos etc), will I notice a difference between 2GB and 4GB?

kteboyle

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
RAM specifics

Does anyone know what the specs are for the best compatible RAM for the 2.7GHz i7 processor configuration?

This is my first time purchasing a MAC, and I would like to upgrade both the RAM and harddrive. On the RAM side of things, it looks like there are more options to consider when buying RAM than the other users have addressed.

Is the RAM PC3-10600, 10660, or 10666?

Thank you,

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Isn't 8 GB a no-brainer if you are going to upgrade? Price diff of $30 to a 4 GB kit.

Well... see my comments below.

If I generally use a Mac Mini for basic tasks (surfing, streaming video, music, photos etc), will I notice a difference between 2GB and 4GB?

Good question, I'm wondering the same thing, now that I've looked at some Geekbench benchmarks.

I'm attaching a sample of memory performance from a 2GB machine vs someone who upgraded the same machine to 8GB. Not a big difference! I'm unsure how this would affect real-world performance for low-intensity task. Yeah, it's only $45-$80, but why waste it for (potentially) no gain?

Attachments

• 2GB.JPG
    2GB.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 533
  • 8GB.JPG
    8GB.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 341

ralnar

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Sure, if you run with 2 GB and don't experience it as slow, no need to do anything. I will do that and see how it works. But if I upgrade I will max it out, just for future proofing and avoiding to get yet two more unusable memory sticks if I would need 8GB in the future. I will already be stuck with two 1GB sticks.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Hi, I'm new and am looking at the mac mini as well. I read somewhere that it would only go up to 8 gb as well.

How are people looking into it and when will we know?

Well the MacBook pro officially supports 8gb of ram but 16gb can be installed not exactly cheap but one day it will be.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Wow! Thanks for the tip. $45 to upgrade the new Mini to 8 gigs of RAM? At that price, it's crazy not to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.