Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you feel about the 10.7?

• Like it (op is just crazy)

Votes: 197 68.2%
  • Hate it (thank god for time machine)

Votes: 40 13.8%
  • indifferent

Votes: 52 18.0%

• Total voters

whooda4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Personally I dont like it. It broke xbmc, i can no longer use my cisco vpn, it changed the settings on pathfinder and now it is all messed up.

All this for a fancy way of having multiple desktops? I dont even use that when I have it. Im a minimalist when it comes to desktops and this is just fluff that I dont want or need. I wish there was a 10 day money back guarntee.

If I wanted an ipad interface I would have bought an IPAD!!! Or 3 for what I paid for my macbook pro.

I will be buying a new mac mini, but will have to find a way to load 10.6 on it since it works better with everything else i own.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
So you hate the fact that the applications you regularly use aren't compatible for the OS you decided to purchase and install on day 1?

HelloPanda

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
I love it. I like the smooth, slippery animations, especially when switching between desktops. Mail is nice, and Safari is now my default browser.

I haven't had a chance to use versions yet, but I'm sure that will change once I start school.

whooda4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2011
So you hate the fact that the applications you regularly use aren't compatible for the OS you decided to purchase and install on day 1?

YES!!! Is that a problem? Should I expect a minor upgrade to break 3 of the 4 programs or features I use the most?

I like the full screen apps, but the rest is just fluff to me. It does not make me any more efficient. I dont run a bunch of programs at once, I have a few that I use and thats it. It just seems like they are forcing me to use stuff that I do not want.

I thought that snow leopard was GREAT! It was fast, reliable. It ejected my disk drives instead of giving me errors 3/4 of the time. Its polished graphically, but not worthy of a final release in my opinion.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Launchpad chugs a little on my mid 2007 imac (still regret not going for the mid range model), but other than that it seems fine.

I mean, really, is this your first OS upgrade like... ever? Of course things aren't going to work properly from day one. In a month all the big problems should be mostly ironed out.

Kosmonaut

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2006
YES!!! Is that a problem? Should I expect a minor upgrade to break 3 of the 4 programs or features I use the most?

OS X 10.x.y

If the number y increases, it is a minor update.

If the number x increases, it is a major update.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Hate is pretty strong, but I definitely don't like it. There are far too many idiotic design decisions, and a bunch of changes that were made just to say they made more changes, often at the detriment to features that were loved in previous versions.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

I like the full screen apps, but the rest is just fluff to me. It does not make me any more efficient. I dont run a bunch of programs at once, I have a few that I use and thats it. It just seems like they are forcing me to use stuff that I do not want.

I thought that snow leopard was GREAT! It was fast, reliable. It ejected my disk drives instead of giving me errors 3/4 of the time. Its polished graphically, but not worthy of a final release in my opinion.

10.6 was released in 2008, it's not a minor update by any stretch!

Apple is obsessed with keeping the OSX name...therefore they release each major release as a single point. And release all increments as sub points.

The last version of 10.6 was 10.6.8.

If it weren't for OSX this would actually be Mac OS16.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm indifferent in that I haven't tried it, so I can hate/love it. From what I've read it doesn't offer me too much.

I prefer the current SL UI and how things work, so I don't mind sticking with 10.6

Nuckinfuts

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Personally I dont like it. It broke xbmc, i can no longer use my cisco vpn, it changed the settings on pathfinder and now it is all messed up.

All this for a fancy way of having multiple desktops? I dont even use that when I have it. Im a minimalist when it comes to desktops and this is just fluff that I dont want or need. I wish there was a 10 day money back guarntee.

If I wanted an ipad interface I would have bought an IPAD!!! Or 3 for what I paid for my macbook pro.

I will be buying a new mac mini, but will have to find a way to load 10.6 on it since it works better with everything else i own.

Apple gave the developers of your apps half a year to update, the blame for this lies on them

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I like Lion. So far so good. No major issues, minor GUI lagging but im sure that will be addressed with future graphics drivers.

OP, I think you need to take up your issue with the people who developed the Applications that dont work for you. Its not Apple's fault that 3rd party developers did not invest the resources needed to make an early transition from SL to Lion. :D :apple:

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

Why did you buy Lion? It's not like there weren't a million posts on here and elsewhere explaining exactly what was new in it for months before it was released.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure there are a number of websites you could have checked in ADVANCE to determine the functionality. I have a friend, a few programs he uses are having a problem so he's going to wait. He found this out after a few minutes of searching and is avoiding all problems for a little while until they solve them.

Amazing!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I'm pretty sure there are a number of websites you could have checked in ADVANCE to determine the functionality. I have a friend, a few programs he uses are having a problem so he's going to wait. He found this out after a few minutes of searching and is avoiding all problems for a little while until they solve them.

Amazing!

Why bother avoiding a problem when it's so much easier to complain about it after the fact?

madrussian

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
Dallas, TX
A little too early to weigh in completely but so far I'm lovin' Lion. I'm sure many people are frustrated with lack of support for certain functions or apps that they use and a handful of bugs but come on! It's only been released for 24 hours. At some point you have to take what you've created out of the lab and send it to the real word to encounter real world scenarios. Be patient and give Apple an opportunity to address bugs and broken apps in future updates. Lion wasn't built overnight and neither will the updates. Patience my good men, patience.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
Mission Control i hate. No longer woks with SMB AFP, XBMC Nas.

What has Lion actually brought to the table thats better than Snow Leopard?

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I'm sure I'll get used to it and love it, but in the mean time the learning curve is steeper than I anticipated, and every time I'm on a machine I learn something new!

:)

And still no "Large Fonts" option for us old guys.

labaom

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2009
Lion sucks. Mission Control ruins expose and makes it harder to use!

I tried it twice as GM. Everytime I try it, I get frustrated and delete the partition! I don't like Mission Control with a passion and there is really no reason for me to upgrade.

philxor

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
I've used it on a co-worker's Mac and I don't know if I'll ever get used to Mission Control. There are no other features which would make it worth it to upgrade to deal with it. I'm hoping in a point release at some point they enable an option to go back to the old space/expose setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.