Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluisnblklungs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I have a MacBook 4,1 2.4ghz 4GB of RAM, I'm wondering if its worth it to upgrade to lion for me? It seem that most of the cool news you need a multi touch trackpad. Anyone else upgrade using a 4,1?

Thanks Guys & Gals

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
It's not all just the multitouch, it's got lots of other features. It'll probably be worth it for you, especially considering the price.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I've just updated my MBP 3,1 (spec in my sig) so a generation older than yours.

Yes, I don't get all the multi-touch functionality as my trackpad only supports 2-finger gestures :)p) - and not all of those (no pinch-zoom or rotate) - but I still think it's a worthwhile upgrade. There's no noticeable drop in performance over SL - if anything, it feels a bit snappier :cool:

Go ahead and u/g; you know you want to :apple:

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I have a MacBook 4,1 2.4ghz 4GB of RAM, I'm wondering if its worth it to upgrade to lion for me? It seem that most of the cool news you need a multi touch trackpad. Anyone else upgrade using a 4,1?

Thanks Guys & Gals

Works great on my MacBookPro4,1 mate, all the multi-touch gestures are supported on our model. What doesn't work though it AirDrop; Apple don't support the Broadcom chipset the 4,1 has for this function.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Gestures will not work on the 4,1 model MacBook. The trackpad isn't built to support them. I updated my 4,1 black MacBook and have no problems, just no gestures.

One other thing, 64bit is not supported on this machine either.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Gestures will not work on the 4,1 model MacBook. The trackpad isn't built to support them. I updated my 4,1 black MacBook and have no problems, just no gestures.

One other thing, 64bit is not supported on this machine either.

Not sure what kind of crack you're on mate, but you can't install Lion on anything less than a Core 2 Duo, which both of our machines have (look it up), and C2D is 64bit.

Also, your machine doesn't support multi-gesture, but mine (Early 2008 17" MBP C2D) does. Please don't post incorrect information like this, it confuses people.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Not sure what kind of crack you're on mate, but you can't install Lion on anything less than a Core 2 Duo, which both of our machines have (look it up).

Also, your machine doesn't support multi-gesture, but mine (Early 2008 17" MBP C2D) does. Please don't post incorrect information like this, it confuses people.

Did you read my post carefully? There was nothing incorrect about it. 64 bit does not run on the core 2 duo 4,1 MacBook. I've checked.
Also, when I installed Windows 7 on my MB, I could not get 64bit to install, had to go 32bit.

You sir better lay off the pipe.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
So, on your machine, under System Information>Software, it says:

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

Even though the machine is 64bit? I know the EFI on those models is all 32bit, but I've had Lion running on iMac 5,1 models which also have EFI32, and they run in 64bit kernel mode?

And even though it might not run the 64bit kernel, the hardware is entirely 64bit capable..?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
So, on your machine, under System Information>Software, it says:

Even though the machine is 64bit? I know the EFI on those models is all 32bit, but I've had Lion running on iMac 5,1 models which also have EFI32, and they run in 64bit kernel mode?

Correct:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 8.07.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 8.07.20 AM.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 18,213

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Yes, that's what I thought as well but as I found out long ago when I installed Windows 7, only the 32bit would install. Installing 64bit gave me the message that my machine was not able to use that version. It is a 4,1 2.4GHZ black MacBook, core 2 duo.

But even the 2,1 has a C2D... so even that should run the 64bit kernel and extensions...?

What do your processes say in Activity Monitor?

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Ahhh, just remembered I never could get the 5,1 iMacs to boot the 64bit kernel because it's got EFI32. That's what's preventing your machine from booting the 64bit kernel (which is now the default on all machines with EFI64), but your machine can run 64bit apps under the 32bit OS X kernel because that's how OS X is written, and EFI32 can't prevent that.

So it seems EFI32 can also prevent you from installing x86_64 versions of Windows? Didn't know that!

Sorry I got a little bit heated with you mate, your original post said something like 'dunno what this guy is on about' and I didn't take too kindly to that lol

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I did some checking on this EFI32 or 64 bit thing.

I ran this command in terminal, which tells you which version you have:
ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

Mine came back and said it has EFI64.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
What?!

Have you tried booting with '6' and '4' held down? That forces the 64bit kernel on machines with EFI64.

CREA

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
I have the same MacBook 4,1 (2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM) and I would definitely recommend upgrading. Of course, it does not support multitouch on the internal trackpad, but 90% of the time I keep it hooked to an external display and bought a Magic Trackpad, and it is wonderful.

However, due to the horrible X3100, graphics are not always 100% smooth, but it's more than tolerable. For example, the graphic effect of going from full screen and back can be a bit choppy, but that could possibly improve with dot releases (I doubt though, considering the GPU is weak and 3+ years old).

Regarding 64 bit operation, all of my applications run in 64 bit mode. Not sure why anyone would be having issues with that...

Overall, I would say this is quite an improvement over Snow Leopard and have thoroughly enjoyed Lion since the GM came out. It will be great once we get an update or two to iron out some very minor bugs here and there.

edit: I ran the same command in terminal that was mentioned earlier, and it says EFI64 on my machine as well.

Last edited:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
get yourself a track pad and it should run without issues

I am using the older 2,1 MAcBook and dont notice any issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.