Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
In my editing process, I import photos to Aperture, choose which I want to make changes to, make a duplicate copy of the original in Aperture, and then edit the duplicate. They are named version 2, 3, etc. I am preparing my computer for a clean install of Lion and wanted to make sure all the versions of my files are backed up.

Are these "versions" and "duplicates" stored in your Aperture Library? If so, then all I should need to do it copy the Aperture Library and I am set correct? I am using Referenced Files if that matters and not actually importing the photos into Aperture, but merely pointing Aperture to the folder holding the images.

Thanks

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
u will need to backup your library as well as location of you referenced files and when u restore them to new computer they need to be in same location
you might also want to copy the application support folder for aperture

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Lets try this again ?

If you don't already (I think you do but I'm not sure) have your files stored in Aperture Libraries. That way, you can get rid of/mass save all of your old pictures and have a few files on the computer to actually manage.

Now if you do have everything in Aperture Libraries, all you have to do is copy/move those libraries to an external hard drive or something when you do the wipe and put them back when you're done.

After putting Aperture back on the system, all you should have to do is open it up or double click on the library to have it brought back. The pictures (both masters and edits) should all be there.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
There is no reason to "duplicate" your file in Aperture. All you're doing is creating a duplicate of the preview JPEG that you are making your edits with. When you edit a picture, Aperture just creates a list of changes that you made and applies them to the JPEG preview. It never touches your master file.

Just edit the original file that you import. You can always duplicate the master later, even after editing a picture, if you want to make another version.

You're just wasting your time needlessly duplicating files. You should read up on how Aperture works because you seem a bit confused.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
There is no reason to "duplicate" your file in Aperture. All you're doing is creating a duplicate of the preview JPEG that you are making your edits with. When you edit a picture, Aperture just creates a list of changes that you made and applies them to the JPEG preview. It never touches your master file.

Just edit the original file that you import. You can always duplicate the master later, even after editing a picture, if you want to make another version.

You're just wasting your time needlessly duplicating files. You should read up on how Aperture works because you seem a bit confused.

I know? I use the most modern version. He obviously doesn't have a backup in place right now though so just having one file that holds everything is never a good way to do it.

Until he gets a backup through a clone or TM, having all of his files condensed into the libraries with NO backups at all isn't smart. Copying them to the libraries then saving them off site is ALWAYS a better option.

Jesus; you wouldn't think people would be against the safest route.

Just to add on; I don't have stray picture files laying around because I have my main libraries on the drive, the whole system cloned on an external, AND the libraries backed up on a 2nd external drive.

Depending on the importance of his photos, he should have at least 2 backups of them. I'm sure as hell going to have 2 or more when they involve baby pictures and/or wedding photos.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
I know? I use the most modern version. He obviously doesn't have a backup in place right now though so just having one file that holds everything is never a good way to do it.

Until he gets a backup through a clone or TM, having all of his files condensed into the libraries with NO backups at all isn't smart. Copying them to the libraries then saving them off site is ALWAYS a better option.

Jesus; you wouldn't think people would be against the safest route.

Just to add on; I don't have stray picture files laying around because I have my main libraries on the drive, the whole system cloned on an external, AND the libraries backed up on a 2nd external drive.

Depending on the importance of his photos, he should have at least 2 backups of them. I'm sure as hell going to have 2 or more when they involve baby pictures and/or wedding photos.

Obviously having a proper backup strategy for irreplaceable files like pictures is important, but that doesn't have anything to do with the "duplication" of files the OP is doing in Aperture that I commented about.

Once the pictures are imported into Aperture, whether or not they are managed or referenced files, "duplicating" a picture just creates another preview image that you will then edit and create a set of adjustments for. At no point does Aperture actually create a second copy of your master file. Unless you are editing multiple versions of a picture, duplicating the file is creating an unnecessary preview file and using unnecessary disk space.

The OP is using referenced files, so his file structure of master images needs to be manually backed up in some way. This can be through Time Machine, disk cloning, or manually copying the files to one or more backup disks.

Additionally, backing up the Aperture library will backup all of the versions and metadata that the OP has created within the program. The master files will NOT be included in the backup because they are referenced. This backup can also be done through Time Machine or Aperture Vaults, as well as cloning or manually copying the library to an external.

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
Ok well I have upgraded my hard drives and reinstalled Aperture 3. Now all my images are showing as being offline. Again I am using referenced files.

Do I really have to go back in and show it where each and every file is?

Am I better off starting all over and reimporting every album?

If I do this, will I lose all my "masters" I have made. Remember, I made duplicate copies of my images in which I edited and am using "Version 2" as my actual edited image that I am selling.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.