Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just like the MacBook Air yesterday, iFixit has also conducted a teardown of the new Mac mini. While the internals are very similar to the previous generation, the teardown does reveal that users may be able to install a second hard drive on their own if a proper cable can be found.

mac_mini_2011_ifixit_teardown.jpg

The possibility of adding a second hard drive is made possible by Apple's removal of the optical drive from all models of the Mac mini, leaving enough space for a traditional hard drive or solid-state drive to be installed. From iFixit's blog post on the teardown:
Apple has done away with the optical drive and replaced it with some good old-fashioned emptiness. We found that hole (as well as the empty extra SATA connection on the logic board) to be perfect for adding a secondary hard drive -- essentially bypassing the $400 premium over the "server" model. The only snag in this master plan is being able to find another hard drive cable to hook it up to the logic board, something we'll work on sourcing.
Apple of course already offers the option of two hard drives on the server model of the Mac mini, although that model also brings other upgrades including a quad-core Intel Core i7 processor that push the price to $999, a $400 premium over the entry-level model.

With the Mac mini being relatively easy to open up and service, users looking to add a second hard drive to their Mac mini without going all in on the server model may in fact be able to do so, provided that an appropriate hard drive cable can be found for purchase.

Like the new MacBook Air, the revised Mac mini also includes a new Bluetooth 4.0 chip and Thunderbolt capabilities, as well as some other minor updates to components

Article Link: Mac Mini Teardown Reveals Potential for User-Installable Second Hard Drive

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I always think these tear downs are a waste of time.
Then obviously you're not part of their intended audience. Many others get a lot of information from teardowns, such as the possibility of installing a secondary hard drive.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
The teardowns are quite useful for people who install hard drives.

The mini looks huge, but it is tiny compared to the average PC.

Still, after 6 years, and no one really sells a PC equivalent.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple is slowly changing the computing world again by removing optical drives and freeing up space for more useful things. The media seems to be quietly overlooking this process as there isn't a big deal being made about it.

It would be nice to see some major investment in improving Internet infrastructure as it's like the the Internet is going to be the future of content delivery and communication.

scooterbaga

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2004
Can one use the server model simply as a "normal but better" desktop? I thought Lion removed the line between the desktop mac and the server mac...

Constantine1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I just ordered the base model for my new MediaCenter. Hopefully I will be able to install 2nd HDD in there (as soon as the cable becomes available).

mwayne85

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009

Please tell me you're joking. These teardowns are extremely useful for identifying parts, how to DIY install hard drives, and just giving an overall sense of how serviceable your mac is.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

These tear downs are great when you need to tear it down yourself for a repair or upgrade. They give you step by step instructions and tools needed to do just about anything you may want to do with what ever it is your working on.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
i wonder if everyone will be as calm when they remove optical drives from the MBP in the next update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.