Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
Many years ago, I came across a graphical development language for kids that allowed them to develop their own *games* by moving things around and then tweaking the code that was recorded.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? Or has the oldtimers disease taken hold of my brain again.

My 10 yo grand-daughter asked if I could *teach* her how to make her own computer games :eek: Since my mind is willing, but weak in this area, and there's nobody else around to help her along this road, I thought this long ago app might get her moving - but I have no idea where I found it or even what to look for.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Margaret

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
holy crap :D
I think she should take it a step at a time or something :p

Honestly though, I really like the Flash idea. Learning it won't be wasted if she wants to do something else instead, or when things just don't work out or she realizes that it's not all fun and games XD

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
C++ or Objective-C wouldn't be bad either for getting someone started on programming.

Or AppleScript.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
JeffTL said:
C++ or Objective-C wouldn't be bad either for getting someone started on programming.

Or AppleScript.

C++ is an awful starting language... I tried it (actually I started with Object LOGO, which was wonderful, but that didn't really count that much). Objective-C is better. For someone her age though... I guess I'd recommend Object LOGO :) It wouldn't do games... but with a decent book it's pretty fun to play with. Later on Java or Objective-C is good.

ephex

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2004
USA
Catfish_Man said:
C++ is an awful starting language... I tried it (actually I started with Object LOGO, which was wonderful, but that didn't really count that much). Objective-C is better. For someone her age though... I guess I'd recommend Object LOGO :) It wouldn't do games... but with a decent book it's pretty fun to play with. Later on Java or Objective-C is good.

any form of C is an awful language to begin with.

you should check out python, http://www.python.org. it even comes installed with os x by default. game programming isn't really something that is possible without a lot of experience, unless you want to try using something like flash [although i have not looked into LOGO, so that may be a good path as well]. for 'normal' programming though, python is both an EXCELLENT language and its simplicity makes it great for beginners. it will also make it much much easier to pick up other languages, although you may not like them because of the ease that python does things with ;)

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
Thanks for the heads up about Python - I'll look into that - I've been looking for a challenge for myself as well and that just might be the ticket.

I checked out some implementations of Logo, but most of the better ones are strictly for institutional use and not available to the public :( or are rather pricey and since Hannah's interest tends to be fleeting, I'll try to get her attention focussed in some other way.

I've just pried my laptop out of the sweaty little hands of her brother who's spent the last 5 hours assaulting me with his Garageband creations so maybe that will grab her interest as well.

Take care, Margaret

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.