Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
Can I downgrade the new Mac Mini to Snow Leopard Server? I really don't know if that is a stupid question or not, but since I have a copy, do you think it will work? Lion Server SUCKS. PERIOD. Thanks for your help!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No. The 2011 Mini's can only run 10.7. Snow Leopard will not install or boot on one of them.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
So is your claim from experience or from the usual "do not install a version of OS X older than what shipped with your Mac" textbook answer?

A combination of both. I was contacted by my father to put, "force" as he called it, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on the new Air. After installing it via Target Disk Mode and updating it. I attempted to boot it, only to meet a kernel panic. The panic was caused by a CPU related kext.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
A combination of both. I was contacted by my father to put, "force" as he called it, Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on the new Air. After installing it via Target Disk Mode and updating it. I attempted to boot it, only to meet a kernel panic. The panic was caused by a CPU related kext.
Thank you. I enjoyed your story.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Are you sure? I downloaded the Server Tools and fired up Server Admin, but it only let me edit the settings that aren't in the main Lion Server app, such as Software Update and NetBoot.

I read the reviews for Lion Server and it said that Server Tools will give you back the functionality that appears to be missing.

Minicube

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Don't know about server, but standard SL will boot on the new Mini, with one glitch, a beachball cursor.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I wouldn't say that everything is restored when you download the admin tools. I discovered (and posted in another thread):

I've got a temporary Lion Server install (posting from it now) and my SL Server is still running, so it's easy to do an A-B comparison.

Server Admin lists the following services in SLS which are not in Lion Server. Remnants noted:

Address Book (in Server.app, but no options. Does it use SSL?)
AFP (in Server.app, seems to have less flexibility)
FTP - no server in Lion client either.
iCal (in Server.app, but no options)
iChat (in Server.app, don't know the limitations)
Mail (in Server.app, seems limited to one domain)
Mobile Access (I don't know what this is, never used it)
MySQL Missing
NFS Missing
Print Print server missing
Push Notification -- seems missing although I thought that was an advertised feature.
QuickTime Streaming missing
SMB No Samba, SMB limited to creating file shares. Limitation of Lion client as well.
VPN in Server.app, simplified
Web in Server.app, simplified

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.