Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I notice now that when you swipe back on a web page it goes to the widget page. So does that mean everytime you want to scroll back a page you have to hit the arrow now?:(

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It's probably wise to explore the settings of a new OS before claiming it has bad issues.

And if you do think there is a serious bug, surely you have filed a bug report like any good developer would, right?

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah thats what I thought. I looked in the mouse settings and it was pretty much what it was before. Maybe its something mozilla needs to update with the browser. Thats just a guess though.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Um... I wasn't claiming it as a bad issue. I was asking a question. Why sso angry :p

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Swipe for backwards and forward seems to be missing system-wide. I just installed 10.7 on my Macbook Air and the feature is absent not only in third-party apps like Chome, but also shipping apps like Finder.

It seems very odd to me to eliminate such a useful gesture, I don't give a damn if a 4 finger swipe can trigger mission control when 2 finger swipe no longer triggers back and forward.

What's even more frustrating is that better touch tool doesn't have any gestures for two finger swiping that I could configure.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
nope wrong again... it said magic mouse bad lion issue. Meaning the issue is with the mouse. It's a no brainer that it's not a software error. I then clearly asked if anyone new of a setting to fix it. You seem to read into things way to easily. Did you even read the post? Or just the header.:eek:

Last edited:

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks for your post iCheddar. Glad to see im not alone with this issue. I would guess this will be fixed down the road.

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
I've been playing around a bit with Lion and just setup my magic mouse. What I've found, is that a single finger swipe left and right, will go forward and backward pages now. That is in Safari at least. I haven't installed any other browsers yet.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Did you do anything to make it be able to do that. Its true if you single swipe it doesn't go to the widgets. For me it doesn't do anything though.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've been playing around a bit with Lion and just setup my magic mouse. What I've found, is that a single finger swipe left and right, will go forward and backward pages now. That is in Safari at least. I haven't installed any other browsers yet.

In Safari, a SINGLE finger swipe left to right or vice versus brings you forwards/backwards in Safari.

TWO finger swipes take you left or right on your desktop (you can be in any application and two finger swipes will still only apply to Finder). Swiping with two fingers to the right will invoke Dashboard (in iOS 4.X it would be the Spotlight page), or swiping left will bring you to any Spaces you have active.

*In "System Preferences", in "Exposé", make certain "Show Dashboard as a space" is checked

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Yep single finger works. I figured that out today

I forget what's listed in preferences

But double tap 2 fingers brings up mission control

And double tap 1 finger in safari zooms on text like iOS

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Very odd that everyones having success doing this and it's still a dead function for me. I thought since everyone was using mozilla and I was on chrome that it might be that. Nope its something else. I'm sure its a setting I need to stumble on.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah thats what I thought. I looked in the mouse settings and it was pretty much what it was before. Maybe its something mozilla needs to update with the browser. Thats just a guess though.

Are you using 3.6 or the 4 betas? I know what you mean about swiping spaces instead of swiping browser back/forth. Just setup for Magic Mouse with BTT and that'll fix it. Here's how i did it:

Single finger swipe left - back in Safari
Single finger swipe right - forward in Safari

Double finger swipe left - left a Space
Double finger swipe right - right a Space

Fixed it for me.

tkjune

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
It works with Safari. SO it is a mozilla chrome issue.

No. It's not a mozilla chrome issue.

If you want magic mouse 2 fingers scrolling for other browsers/apps back, do follows:(you need to give up something)

1.Open Magic Mouse setting in System Preferences
2.In More Gestures tap, click the drop down list under Swipe between pages and choose Swipe left or right with two fingers
3.Uncheck the Swipe between full-screen apps

Now you get your old 2 fingers gesture for magic mouse back, and you give up smooth moving backward/forward in Safari -- you can still move backward/forward in Safari, just not smoothly.

I wrote detail in blog: http://tkjune.com/2011/07/05/using-magic-mouse-2-fingers-swipe-in-chrome-firefox-in-lion/

HelterSkelter

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
No. It's not a mozilla chrome issue.

If you want magic mouse 2 fingers scrolling for other browsers/apps back, do follows:(you need to give up something)

1.Open Magic Mouse setting in System Preferences
2.In More Gestures tap, click the drop down list under Swipe between pages and choose Swipe left or right with two fingers
3.Uncheck the Swipe between full-screen apps

Now you get your old 2 fingers gesture for magic mouse back, and you give up smooth moving backward/forward in Safari -- you can still move backward/forward in Safari, just not smoothly.

I wrote detail in blog: http://tkjune.com/2011/07/05/using-magic-mouse-2-fingers-swipe-in-chrome-firefox-in-lion/

I am sorry but this is not working for me!
I mean, ok you get back your 2-figer swiping for Back and Forward and that's great!
But then you don't get any gesture for Space switching. I knew you didn't have it beforehand since this is a new feature, but missing a new feature right after the installation of the OS is a bit harsh :(

bsutton4

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
You do not need to disable anything. instead of using two fingers, use one.

i.e. push your finger to the right o go back and pull it to the left to go forward, if you are right handed.

anoren

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
The solution to your problem…*i think.

I notice now that when you swipe back on a web page it goes to the widget page. So does that mean everytime you want to scroll back a page you have to hit the arrow now?:(

(I have swedish OS so I apologize if the translations below are a little wrong, but I think you will find your way anyway).

Go to "More gestures"
For "Swipe between pages" choose the third option "Swipe with two or three finger".

With that option you will have both the new and the old behavior.

/Andreas

HelterSkelter

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
You do not need to disable anything. instead of using two fingers, use one.

i.e. push your finger to the right o go back and pull it to the left to go forward, if you are right handed.

This backward/forward thing does not work on Chrome!
So I have to use the 2-finger swipe.
But this way I lose the 2-finger swipe to switch spaces!

lahes

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
Chrome issues

thank you for your help on this issue. I am happy now that I've worked out how to resume using my 2 finger swipe in Chrome, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.:D

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
As others have said, you're using the two finger swipe and on the mouse that moves your space, not your page. Firefox and Chrome do not yet support the ONE FINGER swipe of the magic mouse or the TWO FINGER swipe of the track pad..

But like others have said, this is a bad mesogreat issue.

tkjune

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
I am sorry but this is not working for me!
I mean, ok you get back your 2-figer swiping for Back and Forward and that's great!
But then you don't get any gesture for Space switching. I knew you didn't have it beforehand since this is a new feature, but missing a new feature right after the installation of the OS is a bit harsh :(

For the space switching, I'm using 3 fingers on magic mouse or 4 fingers on trackpad. I don't want to miss it either. In another hand, my magic mouse ran out of power often and a little bit low for me. In the end I take back my Logitech MX518, which has 8 buttons. When I go out, I would take magic mouse with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.