Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Hi all,

I ask quite a bit from my computers, on a typical day I'll have like 15 safari tabs open, Adobe Flash builder, Adobe Photoshop, TextMate, Mail, itunes and maybe Lightroom open. I don't like to have to wait when switching programs and I also don't like closing programs :). I kinda do a lot of stuff at the same time and I like it that way.

My questions is, from your experience so far with the new 13" i7 MBA (or i5), can it cope with that sort of working style?

Thanks a lot, I am really thinking hard on that one...

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Your biggest issue is going to be the 4GB max memory from your usage, not the i7 processor. That's not a lot of memory to spread between a lot of heavy apps.

vat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Yes, you'r right, I am hopping that the SDD will be fast enough to quickly load back swap.

Have anyone had a try with a harsh level of multitasking? Those geekbench numbers are not substitute for real human experience...

Many thanks.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Hi all,

I ask quite a bit from my computers, on a typical day I'll have like 15 safari tabs open, Adobe Flash builder, Adobe Photoshop, TextMate, Mail, itunes and maybe Lightroom open. I don't like to have to wait when switching programs and I also don't like closing programs :). I kinda do a lot of stuff at the same time and I like it that way.

My questions is, from your experience so far with the new 13" i7 MBA (or i5), can it cope with that sort of working style?

Thanks a lot, I am really thinking hard on that one...

Blegh. The 2010 core 2 duo model could do this. At least the 2.13ghz 4gb ram one. And the 2011 is substantially better. So.... Yes. And I run Parallels all the time too.

activ8

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I think it'll be fine. I have an i7 and run several apps at the same time which include Xcode and Photoshop. Both are memory hogs, about 1gb each, and 1gb swap used a lot of the times. It still runs fast. Photoshop sucks at memory garbage collection though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.